Things to look out for?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Gnarlymutt, May 17, 2016.

1. Gnarlymutt

Gnarlymutt New Member

Map
    Hello all, relatively new to the cycle world and very new to the forums. It's good to meet all of you.

First off, a bit of background about me. I have a buddy that has been riding for a number of years and has been encouraging me to take up the 2 wheeled life.
    Not knowing if I'd enjoy it or not, I enrolled in the local MSF Basic Riders course and found out that I LOVED everything about riding. I earned my certification for my license
    and have been looking in to bikes ever since, mainly window shopping over the winter months. The time has come for me to get "serious" and start the actual purchase process.
    The wife is not exactly thrilled with my new choice of hobby, but is relenting. :) At 6'3" 270, I'm looking in to larger bikes to avoid the proverbial "circus bear on the tricycle" look.

I'm headed out to take a look at a 97 VFR and am curious what things I should take a close look at. It's had some work done recently with the forks/carbs by a local shop, so it's been maintained.

Anything particular to 97s to be aware of?

As an aside, I'm an "all the gear, all the time" guy, and as an "older" man of 38, I am able to resist the temptation that a lot of power brings to the table. I know that bigger bikes tend to magnify errors and mistakes, but I'm willing to put in the time practicing before setting out on the highways and side roads of my area.

Thanks all for weighing in.

Mutt

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Sounds lkke you have most of this figured out. Many here believe the VFR is too much bike for a beginner. I don't agree. You already have a grasp of the power vs disaster issue and once you have that, you have gone a long way to being safe.

I was a late bloomer too. The VFR (my present one) is the first bike I had ever ridden. I started riding in 2006, when I was 56 years old. I now have 197,000 km under my belt.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  3. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    You're way ahead of all us Randy.

4. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Mutt.
    Inspect the inside of the gas tank for rust, check brake pads, discs, hoses, cables and fluids. Start the bike when it's cold and make sure it idles smoothly. Check the frame for cracks, bends or dents.

5. Gnarlymutt

Gnarlymutt New Member

Map
    This is very helpful insight, thank you Mofo.

6. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Been nipping the sauce early this morning Randy?

7. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I don't know why I torture myself, and you guys for that matter, by using my cellphone to make posts.

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Bite me! Reject!

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Everything what Mofo suggested and bring your buddy...two sets of eyes are always better. Maintenance records, age of tires ( should have a date on sidewall), last time ALL fluids where changed.
    JMO

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Lots of good advice here that pretty much true to nature. 97s are the best and last of the great ones IMO, I had two of em. For you though, and this isn't a put down when I say this, so don't throw me under the bus please, been there, ain't fun.. That said at your size just about right off the bat you will need a different rear shock and fork springs. Granted this machine will haul your ass down the road easy enough but when going around corners comes into play you will load the suspension way more than most, ekk duc duc.. just saying. These vfrs with a suspension tune and up grade are a whole other bike. So might as well tell you the truth from the get go. In that I say welcome to the world of wacky VFR owners.

11. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    You can put me squarely in the "circus bear on the tricycle" category. At 6'-2" and (until very recently) 280lbs I find the VFR to be all I need. I am sure my bike could use some stiffer springs but I keep wasting my money on other bikes and gas so I never get around to adjusting the ride for optimum performance.

By the way, what's this older man of 38 stuff? Around here you are just a kid!

12. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    Take a good look at the chain and sprockets also. Check the color of the fluid in the sight windows of the clutch and brake master cylinders. Dark is not good-at the very least you'll be in for some fluid flushes.
    Above all, take your time. Look at several bikes if the option is there.
    Even though your wife is "relenting" walk softly. Ain't momma happy, ain't nobody happy.

13. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    LOL Don't I wish I was that young! Power has nothing to do with it. It's all in your head. Get it? Keep a level head and you will be able to handle/use the power when you're experienced enough. Most bikes now a days give the rider to much confidence because they are so good at masking mistakes. That's until you get in over your your head.

14. 68mustang

68mustang New Member

United States
    Might I be one to throw a cog in things. While I agree with what most everyone says on here, I would try to stick to 98+ for the sole reason of fuel injection. Also find the cleanest example you can buy of any bike you get. Reason being, if you're not mechanically inclined a bike "can be" a steep learning curve. You want something you can gas up and go on. Not something that is constantly breaking. And lets be honest, a 97 is almost 20 years old. Any bike that age will need "some" attention.

Also I don't think this bike is "too much" for a beginner. The torque is delivered very linearly and it's only 100hp at the rear wheel. Plus the bike is on the porkier side. The only downside is it will carry a lot of weight higher up than a cruiser does. Your 6'2" frame should have no problems though.

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I think Knight may have more in mind than biting.

16. Gnarlymutt

Gnarlymutt New Member

Map
    Wow, so much knowledge in one place! Thank you all for your thoughts/opinions/guidance. I truly appreciate each piece.

I should note that my current weight is after hitting the winter banquet circuit. Summer is fast approaching, so I'm working back down to the old fighting weight. :pig:

Also, for those who choose to read the forums for the pics, here's a photo of the bike in question, taken from the ad. It's not a trailer queen and has a few blemishes, but I think she's beautiful. Can't wait to take a look at her in person.

VFR.jpg

17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Good luck, now the winter banquet circuit is hilarious. ..

18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ooo is that a corbin? and hard bags, boy, be hard to go to wrong unless he's asking a mint. Whats the miles? Just a precautionary note. There's a 16k valve service, so depending on the mileage, one might want to throw that into the looking and finding out if they've been done, also due at 32k, but that one IMO isn't as important as the first one, most once set do not see much in the way of addition wear. Might as well throw in some history back ground investigation while at it too, ya never know what diamond is hiding in the ruff. GL.

19. Gnarlymutt

Gnarlymutt New Member

Map
    Yes, Corbin seat, triple hard bags, two brother exhuast, new front rubber along with the other mentioned services done on her. Was dropped in the garage during a backing out, so there's some dings apparently. Will know more shortly... Edited to add, 50k I believe. She's been ridden for sure.

20. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Looks like a decent bike but I wouldn't pay more than $3000 tops for it. I agree that the 5th Gen is an overall better bike due to the fuel injection and the addition of linked brakes (which work very well in my opinion)

A decent 5th gen without luggage can be had in the low $3000 range and parts are much more plentiful.