Track day on your VFR

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by Big_Panda, May 23, 2016.

1. Big_Panda

Big_Panda New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey everybody,
    Wondered how many of you have taken your 6th gen or other VFR models to a track day?
    How did it go?
    Would you recommend it for someone else?
    What was good and bad about it?

My birthday is in September and I'm considering taking my 6th gen to Buttonwillow out near Bakersfield in CA and wanted to know what other peoples experiences were taking their VFRs to the track.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    You should get a bunch of replies for those that have been to Button. I have had mine on Firebird track (East and Middle) 5-6 times and out at 159th Ave and Camelback twice.

All things good about it. Firebird is about 3 miles from my house so I started taping up the bike before I left. I also removed the mirrors. Once you get to the track and pass tech, you are good to go. Lower the air pressure, let the tires warm up and its all fantastic. If you can get an instructor to follow you for a lap or two, then you follow them, it will help your lines.

My humble suggestion: do as many track days as you can afford. I think Tori has had his vfr at Button about 100 times.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Dooo it, you'll never regret it. For me it was a couple things, first round was to get really acquainted with the VFR, the the second time was dialing in the suspension. third was just honing my skills. The track is a great place to become one with the machine. only problem was it gave me an itch that the VFR couldn't scratch. but on the public road it does just fine.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Took my 5 Gen out at the end of January to Chuckwalla. For me, it is a great place to hone my skills and not have to worry about vehicles coming the other way and crossing over the double yellow lines, not having to worry about what's around the next corner I.e. Stopped vehicle, oil/water or other slippery substance on the road and having a full lane to use for the best possible cornering line(s). As RFVR mentioned, it allows you to get familiar with your bike in a safer environment than the streets/canyons.

Although I have not been to Buttonwillow, I have been to Willow Springs (Main track and Streets of Willow) and the fore mentioned Chuckwalla. The bottom line for any of these tracks is to bring money (usually for an entrance fee, plus anything you might need and forgot) food, high energy snacks, lots of water and/or energy drinks, some sort of shade device (chair with umbrella, easy up, etc.), speaking of chair, some seating for you and friend (hopefully), air gauge and air tank, gas and ALL your safety gear. It's best to trailer or truck your bike in vice riding it to the track and preferably take a buddy who can drive, just in case something happens and/or you're too tired to drive it home.

Depending on how the track day organizer runs their track day, you might have to be in a group with riders of similar speed. These are usually broken down to newbies, intermediates and the fast guys! (Those are terms I used BTW). Most likely they'll run in sessions, meaning each group gets 20-30 minutes of track time and then the next group is up.

Another thing to check with the track organizer is what is required for "tech". Many organizers require safety wiring or RTVing the oil drain plug, taping up or removing any glass or plastic and removing the fuses on lights (main and brake). Most of the time they'll make you attend a tech inspection and a mandatory riders meeting. If this is your first time at the track, by all means attend the meeting! They will give instructions on how to enter, exit and conduct yourself on the track and what signals, usually flags, they'll give you while on the track.

If you go, enjoy and make sure you keep the rubber side down!

Cheers

5. blakebirk

blakebirk New Member

United States
    Map
    I have not done a track day on the VFR (it isn't broken in yet) but I highly recommend doing track days. As stated before in this thread it helps you get to know your bike and what can be done on it more than you can ever do on the street.

I did my first on a Triumph Sprint ST, similar to a VFR but heaver and not as nimble. A class was given at the track day to teach us the track and riding position on the bike which was very helpful. The track marshals (mostly amateur racers) were available to coach, by both leading and following us on track and giving tips between sessions.

Do as many as you can!

6. Big_Panda

Big_Panda New Member

United States
    Map
    thanks for all the input everyone. Im really leaning towards doing a track day at "Streets of Willow" at Willow Springs out in Lancaster now that i have done more research. However I do not have a one or two piece suit. Im having a hard time finding any place that rents race suits and im just not sure i can pony up the $800 or so that is required for a suit and boots. Anyone have any ideas?

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Sometimes the best place to find an inexpensive suit is on Craigs List or eBay, however take a look at Motocyclegear.com and Sportbiketrackgear.com and check out their closeout sections, there are some good deals on there from time to time and Motorcyclegear.com has a customer closet area, which is used gear that they sell on consignment.

If you know your suit size, I often see used suits for sale on OCmoto.com a local riders forum and at some at really good prices too so I can send you links, since there somewhat local, you can meet up and checkout the suit for fit and quality. Of course there's always Cycle Gear, they have suits that are relatively inexpensive and if your lucky you can sometimes get a whole suit and boots for less than $400!

As far as boots go though, make sure they have good ankle protection with a good hyper-extension and over extension preventive device. Basically if you can bend your boot at the ankle left, right or forward or reverse, then it's not a good track boot.

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Are ya'll talking track day or a school for this guy.

Willow Springs is in Rosamond, CA. 17 miles away is Edwards AFB. If ya like things that fly and the other fast guys..

All the stuff the OOTV listed is a good idea. Tech means not average or good but great tires. Some schools will warn in advance if ya show up with shit tires you get sent home.

9. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    They rent suits at Firebird. They bring about 25 or so and you can call the organizer get your size reserved.

10. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
  11. Big_Panda

Big_Panda New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks OOTV for the sites. After a decent amount of looking, new used etc, turns out that due to my size, 6'2" and about 250 lbs. its hard to find a US size 50 suit! So far the only place I've found with one is a craigslist add that hasn't responded back to me yet. Sites like Revzilla and cycle gear both are out of stock of my size. Even the expensive suits are mostly sold out of my size. Guess it will take some searching and waiting and patience to find one. However assuming I can find all the gear I need at not to pretty a penny, ill be making my track day at Willowsprings. Everything I have read and seen just sounds like an absolute blast.

12. FightingChance

FightingChance New Member

A set of pants and jacket that zips together with a circumference zipper is acceptable as well, and can be useful as those pairings allow for more body types. Sometimes textile suits are okay too (did a track day with a guy on a vstrom and aerostich once.)

Random tips:
    - Bring chapstick. Most of socal's tracks are in the desert and the air sucks the moisture out of everything, including you. I've cut sessions short before because my lips were so dried out. Chapstick helps keep them sealed against the wind. Look for some that also has SPF15 protection.
    - Sunscreen. Put it on in the morning before you start suiting up, specifically on the back of your neck and face.
    - A bicycle pump is a very handy way to deal with tire air pressures without having to drag your bike to the trackside air hose, wherever it is.
    - The bathrooms are usually not very close to the pit area. Walking in race boots sucks. Bring some kind of conveyance, like a razor scooter, skateboard or bicycle to make paddock trips easier.
    - Often the track org will partner with a series of vendors, if there is a suspension person there, it is *well* worth the money to have your bike suspension set for your weight, if you have never set these things yourself.
    - Related, if you have tires and the means to take off your wheels, this is the cheapest place to get tires mounted and balanced.
    - On the first lap, start at 3/10s and increase to 6/10s. When you cross the start/finish, use your judgement. Start at 3/10s. Start at 3/10s!
    - Purchase a track only 600 to do this with

13. Badbilly

United States
    Race leathers at most tracks have to be one piece.. Might be good to check what the schools and the several trackday venues consider mandatory. Like the duds, one size does not fit all.

14. Morpheus46

Morpheus46 New Member

Australia
    My first ever track day. Hopefully not my last. A huge learning experience. Try to get some tuition with it. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

A lot more tracks are easing up on what can be worn, most do allow two piece suits but require it to have a full circumference zipper. Similarly I was always told they require SNELL certified helmets but this too seems to have changed. But to your point, always check with the track or track day organizer before committing to gear you will wear.

16. FightingChance

17. Big_Panda

Big_Panda New Member

United States
    Map
  18. FightingChance

19. Badbilly

United States
    BP's question also contained doing a track say/school on a VFR. If that is what you ride, why not?

20. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I did a few track days at Putnam, several years ago. The bike I rode was a Honda 919.

I had a ball dicing it up with the 600RR Types in the "Slow Group". 90% of the guys in the "Slow Group" would blow the doors off an average street rider.

My two favorite things were: dragging knees while scraping pegs, and getting my tires all melty. I got a nice compliment from one of the control riders, at the end of the last track that I did. Really made my day.

Freddie Spencer rides a VFR on the track. So can you!