gas gauge on a 91

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by tnvfr91, May 27, 2016.

1. tnvfr91

tnvfr91 New Member

United States
    it seems that my gas gauge on my 91 vfr is off a little . i filled up at 182 miles and it took 3.8 gallons. the gauge was on empty, but the fuel light did not come yet. Is there any adjustment for it?

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Most of the mechanism is analog and not accurate. May be just a burnt out bulb. When the light comes on there should be +/- a gallon reserve.

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I wish I saw 185 on my 93 "Mach-2" on my current commute I do triple digits about 37 miles each way, pretty much all the way, and I ran out of gas once at 135 or so. I fill up at a 100 miles on that bike. I think I may get 30 something at those speeds, my other "Mach-1" which is a 91 gets better mileage and I have done 170 on a tank and thought I would run out. Light comes on like Billy sed, aboot + or - one gallon or so. Gas gauge is decent and I use it, when I ran out (shame on me.) if I listened to it, I would have filled up and wouldnt have been in a vulnurable situation. Total gas capacity is 4.2 me thinks, btw, we like pictures here man! ; ) of your bike, nothing more, nothing less :wink: :vtr2: Cheers

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I looked at the service manual and the fuel gauge and the low fuel light are two separate systems, so entirely possible for the gauge and low fuel light to disagree. The fuel gauge is driven from a floating arm and potentiometer, so easy enough to bend the the arm to change what full and empty look like. The low fuel light is driven from a thermistor fixed on a bracket, unmovable. This one will either work or not, the indicator light in the dash should briefly illuminate on start up and then go out. If not check the bulb first, then the circuit.

5. tnvfr91

tnvfr91 New Member

United States
    thanks for all the info, i will check it out.

6. tnvfr91

tnvfr91 New Member

United States
    the gauge is off, the reserve light does work and this old girl is getting pretty good fuel mileage. i rode to tellico plains and it got over 50 mpg the entire trip. but i was only running at 60-65 mph.

7. jorgescar69

jorgescar69 New Member

United States
    Map
    or the light wire is not conected... just plugged mine in a week ago