Fracking Fi Light

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Wurnman, May 28, 2016.

1. Wurnman

Wurnman New Member

Map
    Hi there

SO, ive been sitting with this on/off issue for a while now. My mechanic friend been tinkering with the bike and replaced some wires in the loom (new R/R) or harness which he believes were the main culprit to my Fi light going on and off and power loss.

He's ridden the bike for a for a few weeks and took it on a looooong run and on his way back the Fi light came on wjith very quick power also occurred. He now recons it's maybe a CDI that is going or Stator issue...

As soon as i ride the bike not long and the Fi light goes on quickly with quick power loss. Ive just had a ride and same thing. I'ts as if it senses me and throws it's toys out the cot.

NOW, 'ive done my Fi light error code check as per http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/topic/16-fi-light-how-to-read-error-codes/ and the light just stays on without blinking once. Take out the jumper wire and it's as per normal procedure. The bike starts, runs etc... It does seem to blow one of the brake lights (which still works when using the brake) from time to time.

I took the bike out for a ride and it happened again. Back home checked and no errors or at least the Fi light stays on when jumper cable is inserted. As i said the bike starts and runs.

ANY thoughts?

Ive also bumped, knocked pulled, stretched the harness including hte Earth block to see if it may be a intermittent fault, but nothing happens the bike keep running as it should... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I just need to fix this heap of junk so i can sell it, bought myself a Fireblade which is running smoothly... THx

2. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe you did this, but examine the earth blocks carefully. Check each individual wire on the input for color (burnt?) or looseness. The ground wire on the output, clean its connection to the frame.

3. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Just curious, is the CDI compartment lid secured down with those plastic pop rivets?

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Like knight said, check the orange ground block where all the green ground wires come together. Tough to locate because it's wrapped up with the wire harness.

5. Drewski

Drewski New Member

United Kingdom
    I had the same problem.....caused by the connector block for the engine stop relay which sits on the R/H side just behind the tank. The offending wire was the grey/pink one IIRC. The orange common earth block mentioned above is in the background in the first pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Wurnman

Wurnman New Member

Map
    Thx Drewski

Looking at the earthblock in your pic, mine is almost in better shape. Ill take a photo and post soon. I cannot see any burning or any problems wrt the earthblock.
    Now for what you suggest ill have a look at my connectors, i am almost certain they are fine.

Just glad to no one besides myself have even mentioned CDI faulty. Where excacltly is hte CDI location anyone? Like to see if it is secure as mentioned.

7. Drewski

Drewski New Member

United Kingdom
    The CDI is under a small plastic cover under the seat near the tail. I had a problem with mine too but it didn't cause the Fi light to come on and the engine to cut out, it would just stop the bike from starting...if the cover isn't firmly fixed in place with the two plugs, the CDI can move up and down causing the wires to break or come loose. You could try moving the wires where they enter the CDI, with the ignition switched on, and see if any warning lights or if the ignition goes off at the same time.

Re the earth block....mine didn't look bad either, the spade connectors all looked clean with no serious corrosion, but it was still causing problems. I don't know if I was correct but I suspected the plating on the connectors may have been the issue. Check the wires going into the earth block, you may have to strip the insulation to find they have corroded further back.