Price of used 2009 VFR800 with performance and cosmetic mods

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by VFR55, May 29, 2016.

1. VFR55

VFR55 New Member

Looking at buying a 2009 VFR800 with 10000kms.
    It is in excellent condition and has several performance updates including:
    Power Commander 5
    O2 sensor bypass kit
    Profesionally dyno tuned
    Hindle slip on exhaust with titanium mid-pipe
    Ceramic coated header (in and out)
    Pair/flapper modification at air intake
    K&N high flow air filter
    Michelin Pilot Power 3 performance tires
    Smoke wind screen
    Cosmetically it has hand made 3K carbon fiber panel replacement pieces which include: side seat panels, 2 piece chain guard, instrument cluster panel, inside dash fairing panels, front wheel well panel.
    I've done some research and the fair market price is around $7700 (Canadian) for a 2009 VFR800.
    The seller is asking more than this, because of the mods and condition of the bike (which is very good).
    Just looking for some input as to what a fair asking price would be given the mods listed above (in Canadian Dollars)
    Thanks for the help!

2. JJFlash7

JJFlash7 New Member

United States
    As a rule I don't add value for add ons. The add on's may make it easier or the PO to find a buyer but for me it does not translate into increased selling price. Also, get all the original parts in case you need to return it to a stock configuration. I have seen well intentioned performance upgrades that affect ridability and I have had to undo someone else's modifications. For me it is all condition, condition, condition, and mileage. Looking at the Gen 6 VFR's on the market in the US (Northeast) my top dollar for a used private party sale would be $5500 US( ~$7200 CN) and I think I could find an "excellent, low mileage" gen 6th for as low as $4500 ($5900 CN) if I shop around and I am willing to travel a 100 miles to get the MC.

For me I there is not much value difference between a 2005 and 2009 model in the same condition and similar mileage. So I would consider earlier models in similar condition. I notice suspension upgrades are missing from the list above. I would consider paying a premium if it had an an Ohlins or Penske suspension.

These values are without factory luggage.

Just my opinion - you may decide the add on add value to you.

Good luck

3. 2wheelrush

2wheelrush New Member

United States
    Map
    Buy it. Sounds great. It's all up to you as your the one who is paying for it and riding it.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Farkles are rated in most places as worth half of retail. Check all the various sites that price both cars and bikes.

If this is a rustbelt bike I would be all over it with an inspection mirror.

Beware of doods who talk like they are experts and are barfing stuff out a book or are dressed in bellbottom polyester leisure suits.

5. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    I disagree with some of the other posters regarding the value of add-ons. Certainly, I think some add-ons don't add much value, especially things like a few carbon fibre panels that the bike doesn't truly need (for the record, I have an '09 with 20k miles, all mine). However, some of this bike's addons should have real, serious value, particularly the fact that it sounds like it has an aftermarket exhaust all the way down to headers, and has a PC and thus is (or can be) tuned for those headers, likely netting somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 hp, depending on what the aftermarket headers are like. This kind of setup is worth, as we say where I come from, coin. With the added farkles, I'd say this bike is worth about $1000-1500 over market value for stock, which is around $4-5000 US. You might find a nice low miles 6th gen for under 4k, but that's gonna be a steal. Dunno what that is in Canadian pesos.

Great bike, by the way, and as we all know - black is sexy!

6. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    In Canada with current prices I expect you could get that 09 for $8000 - $8500 with a little haggling.

7. VFR55

VFR55 New Member

Thanks everyone for your comments, still not sure if the premium I'd be paying ($1000) over market value is worth the mods but I guess it comes down to if its the bike I really want or not. I think the most important and impressive thing about this particular bike is its condition, it is basically brand new, immaculately cared for.
    I know I can't go wrong with a VFR, but just trying to avoid being the sucker who over pays for one.
    I appreciate the input, every little bit helps.
    Thanks again.

8. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    For comparison, I bought a 2002 VFR800 w/ABS (6th Gen) with only 9,800 km's on it last summer for $5,200 CAD from a Honda dealer in Saskatoon.

Even $7,700 sounds like a lot for a bike of this vintage, add-ons or not. I don't give value to add-ons unless it's stuff I need to buy (eg; I need luggage bags on my bikes).

washed-vfr-800.jpg

9. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    You never mentioned if these parts, especially the fairing pieces, were bought to replace crash damaged pieces, or are they just a nice add on. Do you get the stock parts? Exhaust systems wear out, and you also may get tired of a noisier pipe. Stock pipes last a very long time as well. Also, a lot of carbon fiber parts are not that durable. If you have the stock pieces, you can always refit them, if you have em'. In Alberta, right now there are 2002-2006 VFR's listed between $2500.00 to $6500.00. One for $2500.00 has like 40000k.m's. There was one w/factory bags and trunk for $3300.00, but had 52000k.m.'s on it. Good deals, with a down economy. I also saw a brand new one for $10500.00, a 2014, I believe. Right now there seems to be some hot deals, due to poor economy.
    You may be able to get the price reduced. Can always make an offer and explain your rationale. Show other examples that you find. The only issue I see is that generation isn't as nice as the Second Gen. models! (Hee Hee)

10. VFR55

VFR55 New Member

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I appreciate the input from the VFR World!!