I want to do maintenance myself.....and..

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Bearsum, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Bearsum

Bearsum New Member

...have some questions :)

What is needed and when ?
    Apart from changing oil, do I need to change coolant fluid ? Fork oil ?

Greatly appreciate any input.

Bear
    Honda VFR750RD36II 1995, 53000km. (no idea when last maintenance was or what was done, bike looks very good.

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Hello and welcome to the jungle bear! :party2:

The basics would be: the usual large socket and wrench sets, screwdrivers, allen (hex) wrenches, torque wrench, shop light, chainfall/tie-downs, and jack, should do the trick. The list could go on forever, but that is a good start. Changing the coolant is easy cheesy. Changing the fork oil is a little more work (just the extra work of taking the forks off mostly), but you will also need to support/hang the bike from the triple clamp (preferably) or support it with a jack/support from underneath (which I have done more than once when there is no agreeable place to hang it). Using both is never a bad idea...IMO If you want to get more in-depth and change the for seals, and/or change the internals, then you will need additional tools.

As far as when to change the fluids...if you have no idea and/or a lot of doubt about the previous owner the amount of time this bike has sat in storage, I personally would change all of the fluids. I would change the engine oil/filter, coolant, fork oil, brake fluid, and clutch fluid. Inspect the chain and sprockets for wear, brake pads, wiring for breaks/melting/chaffing/exposed metal, tires for cracking/exposed threads, air filter, and fuel filter. Also make sure all of the bodywork has fasteners on it and is properly secured. It just depends on how in-depth that you want to go.

3. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Since everyone has an opinion, make sure you get a hold of the Factory Service Manual and check out the scheduled recommendations.

I plan on changing oil, coolant, and brake fluid yearly. I do not ride many miles, but changing the fluids assures that the contaminants are removed, and can help to preserve the engine, brakes, and water pump.

Check out this thread for some perspective from one rider who has 100,000 miles:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/topic/70871-the-tale-of-my-100000-mile-vfr800/

Periodically you should inspect and clean electrical connections, switches, and fuses. If you do you may catch a problem before it becomes serious.

If the bike ever sits for a few months make sure and use a fuel treatment like K100 or Stabil.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Basics you also need include an electrical multimeter, tire pressure gauge, tire air pump, battery charger.

If you don't have "the feel" for tightening fasteners properly you can damage things FAST.

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Ya. Like oil drain plugs. You didn't say what year.

As far as oil changes go, as what was said, change them all right away if you don't have prior k owledge. If you ride a lot like I used to, just change the oil ever 10,000 km. On the zeros. That is easy to remember. It is 2,000km less than recommended but it certainly won't hurt. Keep records.