Gen-specific tank bag?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by SubjectArc, Jun 25, 2016.

1. SubjectArc

SubjectArc New Member

Was looking at Givi and really like the locking mechanism for their tank bags. The included strap would make a great work bag replacement. Unfortunately I didn't see a Gen8 solution. Did I miss it? If not, are their any other options out there? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]BF20 ring fits.

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Nelix,

That bag looks clean and sweet! I am just wondering if twisting that bag on and off repeatedly will scratch/mar the tank. It looks like it won't be an issue most likely.

4. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Never touches the tank at all, the "collar" is raised. As long as you are not being ham fisted there is no danger of it touching the tank.
    That is the smallest of the Givi tanklock bags, I reckon (as long as I wear my ankle boots that I can wear off the bike) I could get enough in it for an overnight trip, change of underwear, jeans, shirt, toiletries, shaver etc.

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The answer to the OPs question might be to check if the 8th generation (whatever that is) has a different gas filler mechanism that a shitload of other Hondas. I'm guessing that this is one of those if it ain't busted deals.

Or the OP could do a part# search.

Looks like there is a limit to the overall size of a tankbag that can use that collar type locking system. I like big tank bags for my shopping at WalMart and they are good when strapping a three man (person) tent , a sleeping bag that is good to -40 F, a propane stove, a small boom box, service for four (I like to share) a small refrigerator, gluten free and organic Jo-jo's (BTW, the Js are not silent except around Chirstmas when they are known an Ho-ho's).

For you dirty minded dudes we are talking Santa Claus Ho-Ho's not hookers.

Strapping all the much needed stuff for even a day trip is gonna maybe let ya see zip in your rearview mirrors, hence the need for a bigass tankbag.

6. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Cortech makes a good magnet bag that has been all over creation with me, FWIW. ^^^^^Shops at Walmart...LOL!!! Oil is the only thing they have that I want.

7. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    If a good standard clip bag is a option. I have had a Wolfman timberwolf tank bag for years (Great bag, big enough to hold a helmet or a 12pack;-))and very well made above all others than Givi I have tried (Cortech, Tourmaster etc.)! No issues with scratches yet, But that was on the 2003 Suzuki Sv1000s with a semi metallic paint. I worry about the non metallic red paint on the VFR since a non metallic shows more than not. but, it fits great on it and the straps are well protected. I noticed posts about tank pad vs. tank bra. I had no issues with the bra that was a OEM option on the previous bike of 10 yrs. I washed the bike weekly and made sure that I cleaned around the felt edge and under it. Some posted issues with the bra about moisture being trapped. Never was a problem, but I live in Utah with a very dry climate and the bra was a very good tight fit probably because it was made for the tank in question. I personally would prefer to have a bra than a pad because of the adhesive if you want to change it and I dislike the look. The bra gives a break in color and a good black contrast on a bike with no graphics and a single primary color. Just my 2 cents. I wished that Honda would have made a VFR800 Bra for the 2014.

8. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Have you considered "Tankslapper" transparent film? I used it for years. Takes years of abuse, still looks good, and saves your paint. Be sure to install it on a warmer day though, hair dryer optional.

9. Badbilly

United States
    Similar or the same as the 8mil clear stuff by 3M? Some install shops who cut their own sometimes have scraps for a couple of bucks. Lots of shops can order precut sections for paint protection on the front ends of cars. A little tricky to apply. Tanks for instance should be wax free.

10. Badbilly

United States

Some of us get turned on by the greeters. My WalMart has nude jello wrestling.

11. blakebirk

blakebirk New Member

United States
    Map
    I have used the Tankslapper material but not the 3M, I believe the 3M is more permanent where as the Tankslapper is easily removable.

12. Badbilly

United States
    The 3M film can be permanent. All sorts
    of things can be used between the luggage and paintwork. Tankbags of any size, configuration and mounting is a matter of great subjectivity.

The film can be removed with gentle heat preferably from a hair dryer or by application of off the shelf paint thinner. The film is great on headlights too. Waterwhite and non yellowing, it's a good fix for having a rock chunked into a very pricy nacelle.

3M has a wholesaler in Seattle in the South End near Marginal Way.. This is not a retail store.. Know what you want before you go.

13. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Used to work for 3M, wouldn't wipe my backside with them.

14. SubjectArc

SubjectArc New Member

15. amoreira88

amoreira88 New Member

United States
    Map
    What wind shield is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map