Suggested Suspension adjustments for those of us over 200lbs

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Bubba Utah, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    From all of the experienced VFR riders over 200lbs and have the 2014 or 2015 VFR800F or DLX, what adjustments have you made to the front or rear suspensions? I have only ridden on the stock settings and not played with them yet until I get my 600miles in and the center stand and risers installed. Any tried settings would be appreciated to save time playing with it on my own. I know that height & weight of the rider and what model due to added weight may come into factor other than riding style. Which I think we are all at the pretty much the same as the bike was designed to be ridden. Thanks in advance. Mike D.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Hi, this is not so much about the over 200lb club, as it is for everyone. Doen't even really matter much what bike either, they all need the same attention. Being you're in Salt lake you have a great facility almost at your fingertips, as the Miller track aka, Utah Motorsports park. what I'm suggesting is hitting up a suspension tuner there. on the norm they should be there on just about every track day event, the smaller the better . Or if you happen to be able to locate one that's in the area, that's where I'd go. That said, first is to set the Sag. That's the amount you compress the suspension while just sitting on it, this is a two to three person job, most VFRs like to be around the 28-30mm that I've found. the preload is what adjust this to a certain degree and in that this is where it also gets kinda personal in how ride quality goes vs. what you want to see happening. Then if, next step is fiddling with compression and rebound action. But the most important setting right off the bat IMO is getting the sag set, that right there makes a huge difference

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  3. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
  4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Over 200lbs could be 400lbs. Not much need for a picture of that.

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I would think that from the dealership, there set on soft at both ends, get them there tools out and do some tweaking. ...not the same as twerking...

6. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    If yours is a standard, you will see that you have zero adjustability on the forks (the Deluxe has preload and rebound). Your rear preload requires tools (Deluxe has a remote knob) and rear rebound is the same for both, only needing a flat screwdriver. Your owners manual has this info, along with the default settings.

FYI, the model designation for the 2 versions are VFR800F for the Standard and VFR800FD for the Deluxe.

7. ALAN553

ALAN553 New Member

United States
    Map
    I tried the suspension settings recommend here...i am not over 200 lbs...barely 145 but the settings seemed to make a difference on New Jersey roads. I am not being tosses around in the saddle as much as the stock settings. So that makes the bike feel more planted/comfortable.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  8. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map

Billy I forgot about this. I am imagining you at around 5'11' and 185lbs. I am 210lbs and 5'9" If I was larger I would definitely go for a Harley! These pictures should never been seen on a Sport or Sport Tourer I agree!

untitled.png untitled2.png

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, I'm surprised the sub frames can take that abuse. wouldn't want to see how they mount up, SMH so wrong..

10. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    SO am I!;-)

11. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
  12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member