Driving light on the forks?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by G1200RS, Jun 28, 2016.

1. G1200RS

G1200RS New Member

United States
    Anybody put them on? Which make, which mount?

Here is a pic of Clearwater's Darla lights on a BMW F800GT. Clearwater supplies the whole kit including the mounting brackets and you pull the bolt that mounts the plastic fender to the fork boss, replace it with the longer bolt they provide (same M6 thread) with a spacer, and Clearwater's bracket is fixed in place with the bolt.

Attached Files:

2. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Yep yep. Don't go for "Motorcycle" branded lights. coughDENALIcough They're generally overpriced and the lumen output is balls.

I went with Rigid Industries (the offroad truck light bar dudes). They make little cubes that are basically a light bar chopped up into morsel sized bits.

Chose the Dually spots. If you want even brighter they make the D2's (consider electrical load on your specific bike and what farkles your running, they are also more $$$$$$$)

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-20221-Dually-Spotlight/dp/B006H33ZU6

used stock brackets included with lights, mounted behind outer pinch bolts either side of the front wheel. Installed the switch where the steering stem cap would go, fed wires up the tube.

Edit: Holy crap those clearwaters are pricey!!! 500 bones for that?! 2,000 lumens each

Compare to the D2's which are rated at 3,000 lumens and hundreds less
    https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Indust...TF8&qid=1467161737&sr=8-1&keywords=d2+driving

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  3. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
  4. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    I put a pair of Hella FF50 on my Trophy. I got a pair of heavy gauge galvanized "L" brackets from Home Depot, drilled one hole to get the correct spacing for the fender mounting bolts and enlarged one existing hole to fit the mounting bolt on the light bracket. Then I put some heat shrink on them for camouflage. They are H7 halogens so 110 watts for the pair, but they turn night into day!

13030002.jpg 13030001.jpg

5. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    A good set of LEDs are going to be much brighter and draw way less current. and on a bike's charging system, wattage comes at a premium. especially if you want to be running heated gear, gps etc..

6. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    Yes, that was why I mentioned the type and watts. When I did this install, LED's were expensive and lower in performance and reliability than they are today. The noteworthy point of my install (IMHO) was the Home Depot brackets for a mounting option. :tickled_pink: