ARRRGH - Stuck - Busted Starter Button / Switch = 84 VF1000F

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Spokane Dave, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Spokane Dave

Spokane Dave New Member

Map
    FIXED - Stuck - Busted Starter Button / Switch = 84 VF1000F

Hello. . . All
    Got my recent acquisition (12,000 mile stored for 20+ years 84 VF1000F) all tuned up running good new fluids filter tires brakes etc, and jut about ready for the maiden ride, and . . . the #$%^ @#!*# &@ &#%% starter button stuck in and after removal of the right pod determined the switch broke at the pivot points and is UN-repairable / not usable. ARRRRRRGH

I did some searching, but could not find any info on other years that might (Plug and Play) / interchange, and was hoping someone could enlighten me. . .

Are there other years / bike who used the same switch / Pod ?

Is the switch itself sold separately by Honda I could not find a part number?

Does anyone have a spare switch or right pod?

Thanks in advance for any help . .

I may go look at the local salvage yard, but not holding my breath for good results

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  2. BluemoonerUK

BluemoonerUK New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey, there is a guy in Ottawa who has some spare parts for a VF1000

Here is a link to one of his ads

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...ve/1004753885?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If you look on kijiji (Ontario) there are a few VF1000 selling for parts, they may ship the part you are looking for to you. I had people ship VF500 parts to me as there are a lot more VF500, vf750 and VF1000 in Ontario than where I am in Alberta.

Good luck

3. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    I used the whole RH switch from a Nighthawk S when the one on my R broke. Actually preferred the S starter button, square and less likely to break. Ran that for many years till I upgraded to a CBR unit. The right side was easy, the left side needed some extra splicing to get the horn to work but same plugs.

4. Spokane Dave

Spokane Dave New Member

Map
    Well did I ever get lucky. . . .
    We have one Motorcycle salvage yard left in town and after about an hour of digging I was able to find bottom 1/2 of a rt pod with the exact switch i needed. A quick solder job and the problem is solved. . . . . WAA HOOO

Problem Now is I want to replace the thermostat, and none available locally and spendy wow . . . anybody find a parts store thermo that will work on the 84 v1000F? I am going to start digging in the forum and see if I cannot find some aftermarket part numbers for the thermo, but if anyone knows = Let me know :)