Some 2016 PPIHC stuff ...

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by carlgustav, Jul 2, 2016.

1. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Enjoy ... I sure as hell did :biggrin: ...

Some practice footage, this is at about 9000 ft and is the 1/2 way point. One of the competitors, not sure if a bike or car, hit 150+ coming up this stretch during the race ... whew.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6jgXThxJbkdVm5HYjhKTEFFbEE

More practice footage. The last chase bike at the end of this vid is a VFR. So that ties this stuff to the forum :lol:.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6jgXThxJbkdZWlVWkFHNDZtakE

Some race footage, at about 11000 ft. The noisy bastard about a minute in is the Victory 156.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6jgXThxJbkdZWVjVG13MVI0Q0U/view?usp=sharing

At 9k and 11K, running off the course may be relatively survivable for the riders. Farther up, above the tree line, such is not necessarily the case. These guys/gals have BALLS. I rode to the summit, there ain't shit off the side of the road in many spots :eek:. It was a blast watching the bikes, sidecars, quads, cars, and yes, even an 18 wheeler diesel cab, run up the mountain. I took video with my phone until the battery went dead, then grabbed my GoPro and took video until its battery died. As you can see, it was beautiful up there, until late afternoon when we got hit with slushy hail followed by rain. And my VFR was none too happy to start/run after sitting all day at 11K.

These videos were taken by me for personal use only (this being such), and any/all trademarks/identifiers/etc. belong to their respective owners, and I have no expectation of profit from this in any way, shape, or form. I rather hope that covers me legally, since I haven't a fucking clue about this kind of stuff :smile:.

ACE

2. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

WOW! Thanks for sharing!! I want to go watch this in person in the future.

Although not participate. I'm ballsy, but not that ballsy.
    I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to ride to the summit when I go.

Hearing those electric motos is something else!!

FYI...for the first video link, I had to submit a request to view. The other two links opened right up. :)

3. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Glad you enjoyed the vids, I'll look at that 1st link again, thought I shared it same as other two. They force the electric vehicles to have some kind of siren for safety reasons, otherwise too quiet :smile:.

Definitely ride to the summit if possible, the view is great. The last couple of miles on the way up can be a challenge, if you're bothered by heights. Frankly, I'm terrified by heights and was white knuckled the last couple of miles :biggrin:. But, there are 'high altitude' donuts at the top :lol:. I didn't bother with one, too crowded that day. For the less adventurous, there is a train with viewing cars that goes to the top.

ACE

4. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Ok, I think I set the sharing for the 1st link to anyone with the link ...

ACE

5. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Oh man. This is one that I'd love to spectate, been on my bucket list for a while now.

6. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

I'm glad I saw it this year. The PPIHC folks are talking about banning motorcycles from the event as too dangerous. I understand it's been done before ...

ACE