Weight Distribution

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by Lint, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
  2. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

I've always weighted the pegs and really can't imagine not doing it...just came natural to me, but I've never tried transferring my weight while braking.
    Something new for tomorrow. :)
    Thanks for posting.

3. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I appreciate the body weight shifting for braking. This works great. Out of sheer utter fear of sliding the rear during aggressive braking I do slide back all the time.

The steering advice is just bad.

" Thrust your body weight into your bike’s inside peg to help rotate the bike off its axis and get to maximum lean quicker, "

Forget weight shifting but instead pivot, from Keith Code's school of "pivot steering." Push off the outside peg, and pivot though to the opposite hand to push the bar. To see how this works, looking at a person's shape from the back, draw a line from their right foot, through the body, to the left hand. It is a straight-through connection! It translates massive leg power across the body, right to the steering hand. You will lean the bike so fast it can actually scare you.

This is another example of when not to use actual arm muscle but to let your powerful legs do all of the work.

There is absolutely nothing faster to lean the bike than the countersteering action of the handlebars and front tire, especially not weight shifting.

The pegs are right next to the center of gravity of the bike. As a lever, being short is ineffective in rotational force, as you all know from physics class. For example, go up to your door and try to swing it open by pressing one inch from the hinge. Doesn't rotate the door at all does it? So why would pressuring a peg close to the center of the bike rotate the bike? If the pegs were 2 foot long it would make sense to use them as a lever. But they aren't. The physics is wrong. This guy is actually pushing the inside bar when he moves all his weight on the inside peg, and does not know it. Given that this is written in 2015 and Keith Code has been explaining this for decades, there is no excuse for the author to spread incorrect information.

Keith Code has the no BS bike where the handlebars do not move. No human being has been able to follow this author's technique and make the No BS bike lean over by shifting their weight or weighing the pegs as this author proposed.

4. A.M

Bwhahaha, I'm cracking up at the mental image of having 2-foot pegs on the moto!!

But in all seriousness, your examples are pretty concrete.

I do weight my pegs, but at the same time I am also doing other things such as countersteering.

Did he really have a no BS bike? Now that just sounds silly.

5. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOGQ-HePrT8

You'll definitely crack up at it then, the guy shifting weight all over the place trying to lean the bike. When done testing, he can move his hands back from the fixed handlebar to the regular handlebar.

They should put detractors on this bike, set the throttle to 100%, and just let them go LOL.

6. A.M

LMAO...I'm dying with laffs!!!

"Try it for real."
    (countersteering I hope)

...let them go into an epic ramp just to make it cooler.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Has Knight taken the Code School or is he doing another cut/paste/rewrite number to sound impressive? In aboot five minutes into a class at the Code level, Knight would launch into on of his lectures and five minutes after that, they would be bidding him a fond adieu. No telling what Pridmore would do.. Duct tape is one option or a size ten deftly applied..

For those who didn't take French. Look it up..;)

How bout them folks who did not take physics. IMO, Knight needs a physic for weight loss.

8. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I subscribe to this methodology ... maybe not to the same degree like professional riders, but I certainly practice it in my every day riding, a lot of it was learned when riding / racing dirt in my early years.

Great article, thanks for sharing!

9. Badbilly

United States
    Me too, Cascara bark needs to be refined. Mineral oil is a factor in ease of operation, Prune or fig juice is good and sort of an acquired taste. ExLax is great for portability. High colonics can be messy and the use of Phenolphtalein is risky.

I got all this on a site. www.noshit.com

10. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I have a complete set of Encyclopedia Brittanica for sale as no longer needed.

Knight knows fecking everything.

We should actually make him into a search engine, hey noob, go Knight that.

11. Badbilly

United States
    Don't sell yet! Knight has been adopted by AM. He was whining aboot needing a mommy figure..

12. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    You obviously have not been riding long. Sure Code has lots of good info but there are a lot of great instructors that teach a lot of things that are VERY different from Code. There are teachers that maximize corner speed and trail braking, others teach getting most of the braking done hard, the park it turn and shoot methods. The author who you are shitting on gives advice that works for a LOT of riders. Try putting in some seat time at the track instead of reading and spewing. Better yet try putting in some time in the dirt. You want to really see what body position and weighting pegs do? Splatter in the dirt all day and you will start to learn. The emphasis is to take away the strong inputs of the bars which will get you into trouble quicker than anything. Weighting the pegs takes away a little of this.

13. blackvfr

blackvfr New Member

United States
    Thanks for the read... I have to apply a bit more peg action into my ride. Top half of the body is pretty good. About to go out on a lunch break ride and get some weight on them pegs

14. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Enough everyone. Don't ruin another thread with childish idiocy.

Lay off Knight

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

15. A.M

"Smile more that you cry.
    Give more than you take.
    Love more than you hate."

That's my life's philosophy when living with others and life situations and it works. I'm proud of who I am. It can work for everyone who chooses it.

That said, everyone has a unique personality and varying opinions on what's good, right, and works for them when it comes to life and handling a moto.

Heck, I can barely touch on mine and do some things to compensate that I probably shouldn't or put up with...like zero padding in my stock seat now and riduculous parking habits. But it works for me.

I appreciate BB as much as Knight as much as myself who rarely has much to contribute to technical threads.

Respect and love guys. You boys can make up...just come to R3 and I'll have some crochet thongs for you two. :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Jeff I'm not flaming Knight just pointing out that what he is saying in this thread is non experience nonsense. Take the video of the no BS bike, just read some of the comments that point out for instance that just weighting a peg WHILE putting you weight on the opposite side has little effect. That is bull shit on the no bull shit bike! do that without offsetting the weight and that guy would have been off the track and on his head. I do not like reading things that perpetuate inaccurate statements and will ll them out on it. IF and that is a big IF you have a lot of riding and teaching experience then you can challenge on a subject. Take the Kieth Code school vs say Ken Hill. A lot of different techniques between the schools but both are very experienced. Another would be the Wood's Penguin school that has a little of both schools in his camp. Stating crap with without real world cred is not cool.

17. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map

Gator, you mentioned how his braking techniques are great but did you read in my post that I completely agreed with his technique on weight shifting for braking? I have no problem with all of the article except what I pointed out. That defies a bit what you think, that I dissed everything this guy stands for.

Now about what I quoted, if his main point was to reduce abruptness of the bars, or settle down the suspension, he would have said that. There is no indication of that whatsoever. You are inferring that from other techniques that you may know. In a very brief article the context is definitely that he is making a point on how to fundamentally help steer the bike. "...lean quicker." And several people preach this identical technique. The answer to his point is that countersteering leans the bike the fastest, and all of the physics clearly indicates it. At speed a riders weight does nothing (see video) compared to the action of the tire against the ground from countersteering. So if he meant exactly what you say, he should not have just thrown in a quick quip, and he should have explained it, and you should write him and point it out.

About the prejudice that some of you have toward me for being a novice: In my MSF course, a 20 year rider, who came to class on a cruiser, fell down during the course. I passed after my first 3 days on a motorcycle. Guess what? Some guys like that failed rider are here, insulting me. That's the reality. So, would you kindly please stop your prejudice and stop labeling me. Maybe you have 20 years of cred and you stink! The ideas are the discussion, not the person. Either what I wrote is truth, or it is a lie, and same with you. What I am does not affect truth.

18. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Now you began to write something reasonable here - a critique - GREAT! AT least Gator is mostly reasonable.

Rebuttal: You cannot weigh one peg and weight the other. Your 160 lbs is divided. You cannot put 160 lbs on both pegs at once. Even if his foot is on both pegs, he is shifting his weight, and it goes to one side or the other. If you think that hanging off one side for example shifts more weight onto a peg, vs him being straight up, that is wrong.

"Real world cred" - I quoted Physics and a preeminent professional biker. It gets no better than that. So right back at you, your dispute needs to have an authority behind it, or you need to bust an authority that I provided.

19. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  20. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Passing a course in 3 days does not make you a good rider, simply that you satisfied the course requirements. There is no substitute for experience and none of us ever stop learning.
    A lot of people that pass driving/riding tests first time are the poorer for it, as they wrongly believe they are better than someone who failed.