RVF400 1st & 2nd ride / review.

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Diving Pete, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Well it has been almost exactly 20 years since I first saw this model bike in the flesh & was able to sit on it in 1996.
    I wasn't doing much riding then except on a 'hack' GPX250r (for getting to work on only), & I just loved the Single sided swingarm, the USD forks & the ram air intake's. :love-struck:
    This bike had all the goodies - but with it came an equally impressive price tag..

Fast forward to this weekend & my new 'toy' from my wife finally got insured & taxed. The weather gods smiled at me :glee:

So,
    1st test ride on Sat morning - a fairly short journey just to get used to it.
    Initial thoughts were I'd forgotten how tiny this bike is & the exhaust has a race can fitted - damm its loud :glee: - guess at least I will hear the engine...
    I let the engine idle for a minute & then set off. I pull away smoothly but note that the clutch needs adjustment - cable is too loose. Get to the end of the road & press down on the rear brake - nothing - lol....

Still its a sports bike & rear brakes are for girls to press when riding pillion so they can signal to the driver - :biggrin:

Carry on with ride, engine is like a turbine up to 7000rpm, - throttle is instant, suspension (standard settings) is firm, but not crashy...
    Then note that the front brake is a little 'grabby' - pull lever back & it seems like a delay before activation... Lever also comes back a fair way.. :grey:

I head home after 5 mins as I really need to sort the brakes !"!"!"!"! :mad-new:

At home I inspect the bike a lot closer - bleed the front & rear brakes, adjust the clutch cable, & then also notice the left fork leg has a fine glistening of oil - arghh...

Ok its really fine & no obvious sign of leakage, so onto today....

2nd ride (with SkiMad4x4 on his VFR)

WE set off to get some fuel - I was on fumes & so after filling up & the bike is nice & warm we head for some twisty A-roads. Damm this bike has lovely handling, neutral, light, flickable, instant, the engine pulls like a steam train all the way - didn't go over 12,000rpm.
    The bikes engine is excellent, the fuelling feels spot on & its really easy to ride.

I knew I'd have fun on this....lol

So have a few things to fix (it is 18 years old after all) but overall what a bike..

The clutch lever just needs a little more tweaking (for me), the rear brake is still crap - lol & the front brake isn't as mushy but still needs work..
    A pair of fork seals, new pads all round & a front master cylinder repair kit should do it, although I may also strip the calipers too as its an easy job.

Looking forward to my next ride once I've repaired these items...

2. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    Love the idea of the 400!

Never brought to these shores by Honda, the few here are grey market. We did get the CB-1, but that is an inline 4.

For small bore 4 cylinder bikes, I still lust after a tiny one, which is again rarely seen here: The CBR250RR!
    I found one at a used bike shop on a recent visit to Melbourne, will post a photo or two if I can get them off of my phone.

Man, the melody which must be the exhaust note on your bike.... Love to hear that!

3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    It has a scorpion race can fitted so I'll see what I can do - :eagerness:

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    And pictures toooooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Ok I'll sort out pics....lol

6. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    VZM.IMG_20160513_110024.jpg

The 250 RR in Australia

Dig the tach!

Attached Files:

7. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I was telling my friend about 1 of these today - it brought a whole new meaning to the word screamer...fun bike