'85 VF700F Ignition Barrel and Fork Lock

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by stubstunner, Jul 24, 2016.

1. stubstunner

stubstunner New Member

United States
    Hi All,

Along with my other issue/post :( - I am also posting this since I can't seem to find the correct part number and am not sure what is compatible with my bike. It seems like the ignition barrel, which was never ever changed has finally crapped out.

If I center the key EXACTLY, I have power, any wiggle, left or right of the key and that's it, all power goes out. I'm looking to buy the replacement barrel but I can't get a part number. EMGO sells one that fits the 700C but I want to be sure I order the right part. I can't seem to get the part number from Honda or any parts diagram. Has anyone ever changed the barrel on an '85 VF700F and if so what's the "correct" matching part. The last thing I want to do is spend cash on something that doesn't fit.

Edit: Fairly certain it's 35100-MB2-901 but I can't find it for the life of me. I might be able to get some aftermarket switch but it seems they're all for 750 or the 700C. Not sure about the compatibility. I'd rather just dump in a new one and be done with it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Here is what Partizilla had:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I remember taking one apart and fixing it after an accident broke it. As you can see in comes in two parts.

3. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    You can take it apart and clean the contacts. Plus there's a tab on the side that folds over and brings the contact plate closer/tightens it up. If they come loose they do what you're experiencing.

4. stubstunner

stubstunner New Member

United States
    Thanks all - my first step is going to be popping it out and examining it. I had a new key made for it and I think it wore out the barrel. Did a lot of hard riding my NY this weekend. Lots of nasty bumpy roads and I have a feeling the carabiner had a bit too much weight on it so it loosened something up. Riding in the heat could have also caused that tab to expand and not make proper contact. I'll have to examine it closer. If I don't find anything visibly wrong, any suggestions on a replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Tugboat

Tugboat New Member

A VF700 ignition assembly bolts to a 2001-2006 F4i top clamp. My point is, Honda did not make many changes to the ignition switch mounting dimensions so if you can't find the correct one, others may work.

6. stubstunner

stubstunner New Member

United States
    Fantastic! I'll have updates later this week. Flying out to Cali for work so sadly no riding.

7. stubstunner

stubstunner New Member

United States
    Done, turn out the EMGO 700C kit worked. The old barrel was full of shavings and cleaning it along with the contacts didn't work so I just put the new kit in. Looks stock and was cheap enough. If it lasts, good, if not... We'll see what I do.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016