Columbia River Gorge-first camping trip on the VFR

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by blakebirk, Jul 24, 2016.

1. blakebirk

blakebirk New Member

United States
    Map
    Finally got the VFR set up with the bags and rack for the top box so I could pack the camping gear for the first 2 up camping trip. The packing was a little tighter than I'm used to because the saddle bags are smaller that the ones on my old Triumph but I hot it all in.

The bike rode well 2 up and with full bags. Headed down to the Columbia river Gorge, rode hwy 30 to Crown point and past Multnomah falls, got rained on a little and sat in traffic waiting for people trying to park. We rode up the interstate to Hood River and set up camp at the Tollbridge camp ground off Hwy 35. The next day we went further up the gorge and rode more of the old Hwy 30, great road with terrific views. we then headed back to Portland on Hwy 14 on the Washington side of the gorge. it was a good ride and I'm happy with how the VFR performed. the only complaint would be the buffeting and turbulence on the freeway at speed, a taller screen may be in my future.

DSC05749.jpg DSC05753.jpg DSC05754.jpg DSC05755.jpg DSC05757.jpg DSC05758.jpg DSC05763.jpg DSC05764.jpg DSC05768.jpg DSC05771.jpg DSC05772.jpg DSC05774.jpg DSC05775.jpg

2. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    From PDX north on 5 to Woodland, east on Lewis River Rd to Cougar to Windy Ridge.. or Wind River Rd from Carson WA Curly Creek Rd to Windy Ridge, or Underwood 141 to NF 23 from Trout Lake to NF 30 to Windy Ridge, OR ... 142 through klickitat, left on Glenwood Hwy through Glenwood, Trout Lake highway Trout Lake windy ridge.. or just BZ Glenwood back to the gorge.

From Windy Ridge head north to Randle WA. Rt 12 to 7 north. East to Paradise/Stevens Canyon Rd. North on 123 past crystal mountain to 410 to Enumclaw

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Looks like an awesome trip!!! Hope to maybe hit some of that on our way back from R3 next summer.

4. blakebirk

blakebirk New Member

United States
    Map
    In the last month or so I rode from Seattle around Mt Rainier to Randle and headed up to windy ridge, the signs said it wasn't open yet but I headed up towards it anyway. Just so you know Hwy 25 from Randle up to windy ridge is in ROUGH shape! there are frost heaves 6" to 8" deep, be careful if you take this route, they are hard to see coming because of the shadows.