Which R/R from Roadstercyle do I need? Gen 5, 2001

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Sniper, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I'm thinking it's the second one from the top.

Super Mosfet Kit # FH020AA. $149, <Is that the one? Like the title suggests, the bike is a 2001.

Is there a sticky here, that I've missed? With as much "press" as these things get, I would think it'd be a good idea.

I'm planning to do this mod during the upcoming offseason. I want to be well armed with info.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yea there's a few stickies, and a lot of topics, but also cool to ask, that one will work nicely.

3. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yep, as R said above, thats the one. Make sure to cut off the connector and solder the wires and you are good.

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Funny you should ask that, just today ordered from Jack the SH847 series kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    CandyRed is the man to ask.......also unplug plug, tape and zip tie and solder straight to the stator. Tomorrows job hopefully

6. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Duc, keep me posted of the process.

I'm a soldering, shrink wrapping fool from way back. It'll be bullet proof and water tight.

Hey, while I have a little attention, I'm going to ask another, unrelated question. Will the Stainless exhaust, from the head to the muffler, from a '14 bolt onto my '01 with little or no fuss?

Thanks, Guys

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I would go with the FH020aa if you are on a budget or the SH847 if you have the money for it. I went with the FH020 and a new oem stator together about 4 years ago and it has been pretty good to me. I have only lost 0.1-0.2 volts over the last 4 years, which I am assuming is from the stator slowly aging due to heat. The SH847 is a series type regulator, so the stator loading and in turn heat will be lower. I would expect the SH847 to allow even longer stator life. One day if I have more money and time than I know what to do with or if my charging system finally wears out, I am going to upgrade to the SH847.

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Melledude threw out a lot on this subject. I think he's an electronic engineer or just likes to fiddle with this sort thing.

9. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I have mellowdude made pair block off plates. He also makes custom rr brackets. The guy does great work.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    There's nothing wrong with the FH020AA, its a good quality piece. So for a 5th gen here is an excellent installation. Sniper, copy this and you'll be fine for a long time.....
    [​IMG]

The new SH847 is the super 50 amps series R/R CandyRed and I have been kibitzing about, and it may be da bomb.
    But holy shit! Its huge.(that's waht she said) ....... (4.5" x 4.5" x 1.5 thick) Bigger that OEM size, so fitting it is gonna take some work....--- I'll have to fab up a wood block to see if it will fit any where.

But in the adventures of extreem R/Rs - the FH020AA is still very fine. --- I do make direct no hassle bolt on mount plate for this on 6th gens. So easy, any dork can do it even after a 6 pack.

Goofy ass note - I am still running the Compufire R/R and well, 4 or 5 seasons later, its still working fine. Maybe I just got a good one. - Its a series design and I think the bike likes it and I like that the bike seems to run cooler. But I know, an R/R change will be in the future, just cant say when.

btw - thanks CR for the plug, I havent sold anything since the great VFRD crash. I have plenty of stock left.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  11. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    No over charging above 10,000 RPMs??

12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    On mine? No overcharging above 10k... ..... The CF is rock steady 14.0 to 14.4 ish Volts at any RPMs... and I rev the piss outta my bike....

13. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    With the Sh847 couldn't really find a good place to mount and didn't want to put in the stock position by the rad and above the headers.... So made some brackets and thought this would get tons of air and not really worried about exhaust since they are pointing more downwards
    IMG_0191.jpg
    Unplugged the the connection to the stator on the right side and cut the three yellow wires and pulled them threw to the left side
    IMG_0189.jpg

Attached Files:

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    So just got a call from Jack at Roadstercycle, its copper with a silver tint
    MARINE 12 gage dang gumit. Had two different people tell me it was aluminum.

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Even though , knock on wood and chase Murphy out of the room while I say this, I'm not having issues. But, That 3 wire RR plug does have me bugged. I've Been looking for a better connection, figued I' run into one with the work I do Nope. So since this is the latest of many threads on the subject, thought why not ask where can one get that 3 wire connection by it's self? showni post#10 Mellos photo. The factory Honda one as we all know is Weak. IMO that's where the problem starts, get some water in there corrosion, = resistant, followed shortly the electrical system gets stressed out taking a few things.

16. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    if you're talking about the 3 pin connector for the stator wires in the photo, Mellodude sent me a link a while back with a source for the connector. It is a Metri Pak 630-3 pin connector. Here's a link.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/metri-pack.html

I attached the stator wires to the R/R with this connector and that was at least 3 years ago now and have had no troubles since. I preferred to have the connector there on the off chance I ever had to change out the stator or R/R at some point. Voltage is steady as a rock at 14.4V.

17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    That be it, Thanks, also to Mello ;)

18. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    IMG_0194.jpg
    Just have to put it all back together.

19. Flappysack

Flappysack New Member

anybody have anything to say about
    http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...70265&category=9946&pm=1&ds=0&t=1470954039520
    I had the shop I bought my 2001 5th gen from replace the r/r last time with a "reputable counterpart" and it came back to me with the same model # as the original, was told it was upgraded for better heat displacement...14,000k later she fried just outside Mt isa. I'm looking for replacements within Australia so I can get back on the road faster, shipping is gonna take ages to get here. anyone have any good advice for me? I'll be scouring the forums in the mean time.

20. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    The new Yamaha R1 has the fh020aa rr. The new vstrom 1000 has the sh847 rr. Both are excellent choices and can be bought from dealers or bikebandit.com or www.roadstercycle.com
    You can buy a complete rr kit from roadstercycle or you can buy just the rr and then get the wiring from easternbeaver.com

There you go plenty of options. Be sure to test your stator and buy a new OEM one if you need to.