noob hello and seat question

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Jon A, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Jon A

Jon A New Member

hey friends, traded in my '03 cbr600rr for an '06 VFR800A. The cbr was amazing, but too bonkers and too uncomfortable. The Interceptor has always been a dream bike of mine, as I followed motorbikes reading all the mags in the 90's-2000's and VFR always won Bike of the Year...plus, it's sharing a name with one of my fave movie vehicles from Mad Max, ha. Bought it bone stock, ( black pearl,) put on Delkevic exhaust, Power Commander, did all the easy mods.

Anyway, couldn't be happier. Have gone on several long road trips here in BC with no discomfort and am still able to rip it and have a laugh at the performance. I've owned a cruiser too, and this bike is more comfy and way more fun for me...Truly a well balanced machine.

Anyway, question; do any of the aftermarket seats have a flatter seat pan area? I like to scootch my butt back to get my head under the windscreen when I'm eating up kilometers on the highway, but the sloped back makes me have to always have pressure on my arms to keep me back. I admit I kinda got spoiled by the CBR race seat being so long, flat and wide. Is there a seat that's flat but still comfy? I suppose I could go double bubble with the windshield to get under the wind too. Any recommendations?

thanks!

John George

2. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Congrats and welcome! I went from a CBR600f4 to my 06 Viffer not too long ago. Couldn't be happier.

Quick fix worth thr try IMO...shave the seat to make it flatter.
    MRA Vario Windscreen
    :)

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    One alternative is liposuction. Another is modification of the OEM seat. Aftermarket seats are cookie cutter over which the rider has less than adequate control.

Automotive upholstery outfits are catching on that there is money in custom motorcycle seats.

4. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    considering the subframe actually sweeps upwards I'm not sure what you could do. even if you shaved a seat as flat as possible you'll still be sliding towards the tank, moving back would still raise your backside up higher and put pressure on your arms. shaving down the seat may help a bit, but there's very little foam to remove towards the back of the seats as is.

5. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Good point, V4toTour.
    Another thought is a tank bag.
    I lay on mine quite a bit and coupled with a taller screen, it's cozy.

6. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Check out the Corbin and Sargent seats.

I personally am using the Saddleman kit (foam w/gel and new cover) which is very comfortable for me. But as BB noted, seats are very personal since everyone's body is different.

7. wiremanjon

wiremanjon New Member

United States
    Map
    My first bike was a 650 Ninja and that seat was a torture device. My VFR has a Sargent seat and I find it to be very comfortable.

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The needs of the OP are not IMO going to be met by the cookie cutter seat makers. These are factories. 100 pesos says the foam is all the same density, the threads are standard and the cover material choices have limitations. This compared with what is available from a custom seat by a professional upholsterer with whom one can state individual needs and style just don't match up real good..

We now revisit the Corbin for me BMW that got sent back four times, the last being when they attached the seat to the seat pan with drywall screws.

Is this a pitch for my buddy Rich O'Connor of Rich's Seats in Kingston, WA? Perish the thought.