ANyone running Pirelli Angel GT Tyres ?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Mousejockey, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Mousejockey

Mousejockey New Member

Hi guys,
    I am currently running Michelin pilot road 4's after having 2 sets of PR 3's and a set of PR 2's.
    But although I find them a great all round tyre and good in the wet,
    I am thinking of trying another brand ie Pirelli Angel GT
    Does anyone have views on this tyre??

Mileage ?
    Grip ?
    Wet weather Grip ?
    Handling ?
    On a 6th Gen Vfr800..
    Thanks for your input :)

5bdvub.jpg

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

There are a few members over at VFRD that run these tires and in their reports, they seem to be on par with the Michelin PR tire's in terms of mileage but claim they perform better, in all road conditions. I personally haven't run them but have consider it. Same for the Bridgestone T30 EVO that a few here have made good claims about.

Sorry I have no first hand info/experience but If you're at all disappointed with the Michelin PRs, then I say go for it.

3. Mousejockey

Mousejockey New Member

Hi thanks for the reply, I don't find the PR series disappointing I'm just considering a different tyre to try on the bike..

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I'm with you there. So far I have been really happy with performance and mileage so don't feel the NEED to change but have considered trying other make/model tires. Just don't know which ones I should try if I deviate. As I mentioned, the Angels have a good reputation with some folks and so do the Bridgestone T30 EVOs, but again, I have no personal experience with either set. If you do change, please give an update as to your experience and differences.

Cheers

5. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    I had them on mine, they were good but i did not like them in cold weather however other than that they were good i liked them

6. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    I just removed a set off my 8th gen and replaced them with a set of the T30 EVO's. Overall, I was very happy with the Angel GT in every category besides life. I only got 4k miles out of mine. But keep in mind, I only ride in the canyons very fast, and never commute. The sides wore out before the center, with equal wear front and rear. As with most of my tires, the front end started feeling like the suspension was getting out of whack in the last 1000 miles of tire life. FYI, between my previous 6th gen and my current 8th gen I have run PR2, 3, and 4, as well as Roadsmart 1 and 2. I never liked the PR3 or 4 for the second half of their life (especially near the end...very uneven wear on the front). I've never gotten more than 6k miles out of any tire. If I would have gotten 6k out of the Angel GT, it could have been perfect. We will see how the T30 EVO does in the coming months. (I have high hopes after reading fellow Viffer reviews here).

So, to answer your question...if you ride like a sane person and do some commuting, you will probably be quite happy with the Pirellis, overall. :eagerness:

7. Mousejockey

Mousejockey New Member

Thanks for your input DriverDave..
    As a fellow DAVE i ride relativity fast road riding most of the time with occasional two up about 80/20 % im off the edge of my PR 4's rear and yes they do wear unevenly after 3000 miles.
    Not even considered the T30 EVO so I will be interested in your future postings on them

Cheers :)

8. Sh1ftNto6th

Sh1ftNto6th New Member

Map
    I have a set of these tires and have not been happy with them. I traded my set of Dunlop Sportmax that were originally on the bike, for the Angel GT's. The Dunlop's were ready to be changed and I thought that the higher mileage Angels would be a good replacement. I found that the more aggressive tread pattern contributes to more road noise and the harder compounds in the tire make it less comfortable. I will not be buying these again. The Sportmax that originally came on the bike will be replacing these when the time comes.

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    FWIW I run on the Pireli Corsa. I find them to be very very good. Surprised more haven't gotten on the band wagon with em.

10. atx

atx New Member

United States
    I've been running them for almost a year on my 96 in oem sizing, love em. They do good in the wet. Mostly commuting honestly, but the back roads here and there have been fun as well. I let a buddy try the bike out and he liked em as much as his PR4's. I rode all through our mild Texas winter and they did fine, no weirdness down to 32 degrees or so.

I think yours is the first report I've seen the the Sportmax is better than the Angels... The Angels are not sticky race rubber, they are not crazy loud. If you are wearing earplugs like you should, you won't even hear them over the wind/exhaust(mine is stock even)/etc. The tread pattern is actually for evacuating water, which credit where credit is due the PR4's are supposed to be slightly better at. The PR4's aren't quite as good in the dry, but they last a little longer(makes sense) and cost a tad more. Can't go wrong with either tire if you are going for sporty higher mileage type.

11. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have no VFR tire comparison, as I bought my 6g with Angel ST's on it, but I can say that after wearing through them I bought the GT's next. Both have been excellent... but I'm comparing versus my Ninja 500, so kinda unfair!

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I'm running Diablo Supercorsa SP V2 on the Duc. Great tire but we'll see how long they last. The Dunlop Q2s didn't last that long and the Duc isn't a very powerful or heavy bike. If they hold up better mileage wise, I'll be putting them on again. Might try them on the 01 VFR when it comes due for new tires.

13. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    I was incorrect about the type of tires i have currently.
    I used to have pirelli Angels, however I now have pirelli diablo tires now and these seam to be very good tires for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. gmtech94

gmtech94 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have them on my bike and absolutely love them better than the michelins as they don't chunk out the same . They are good in the wet and have never given any slippage wet ,no noise for me in the dry and mileage is a little better than most other tires I have used .

15. lanesmatb

lanesmatb New Member

United States
    Map
    The photo below shows my rear GT with around 5K. The sides are worn to the tread but the center still has life. The front has a similar pattern. I just replaced the rear with a A-GT and will be replacing the front in about a month.

Bear in mind that I live 20 minutes from Dragon in E. Tennessee, so the majority of my riding is on these type of roads at a brisk pace. To me, it makes sense that the sides wear faster given the compound is softer on the sides, the type of riding I do, and the roads are pretty abrasive.

I really like these tires; hasn't surprised me, wear is even (no scalloping), and grip is consistent even when quite worn.

Scott L.
    2016 155.jpg

16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Luck you to be so close to the dragon,but 5k on a set, holy cow that a lot of scratch per year just on tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    That's almost exactly what mine looked like the other day, when I pulled them off at 4k miles, but mine had just a tad more rubber still left in the center and smaller chicken strips (I always had trouble getting that last 1/4" with my 6th gen, but the 8th gen is a bit easier :biggrin: )

18. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    My Pilot Power 3s are stable at peg dragging lean angles. G5. I never get tired of a good tire.

I have Pirelli Rosso IIs on the 390 Duke. I tore the pegs up on that bike with that tire. I couldn't get that combo to do anything wrong.

19. superpsu

superpsu New Member

Hello MouseJockey,
    I traded in my 2002 6th Gen VFR800A for a 2010 Yamaha FZ1 early this year and just put on the Pirelli Angel ST tires last week. From a tire standpoint, I like these a lot more than the Dunlop D221 Sportmax tires that originally came on the FZ1. Although I have only put about a 100 miles on them, they feel planted, very stable and have neutral steering. I also think they absorb bumps better (which could be due to going from a 190/50 to a 190/55 size). I have no experience with wet weather yet, but have heard they are nothing short of spectacular). So the GT tires you are considering are probably going to have similar and maybe better results than the ST tires. They may get a bit more mileage since they have a slightly harder compound. The only way to know is to try out the tires and see for yourself. I have no problem trying new tires as you may stumble upon one that just blows your mind. Remember, tires evolve all the time and many tires that I have liked a lot have been discontinued. On a side note, I did put on a rear Bridgestone T30 on the VFR and that tire was very confidence inspiring. You would not go wrong picking either the Pirellis or Bridgestones. Hope this helps with your decision. Let everyone know what tires you get and how they perform on your VFR. Cheers!

20. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    I used to be a big proponent of the Pirelli Angel GTs, and I still think they're a fabulous tire, but I recently discovered something about them that's a deal breaker for me.

Most motorcycle tires these days have a synthetic weave compound running around the tire, I think some kind of kevlar on many tires. Pirelli's use a light stainless steel weave, which they claim allows them to get better performance. The trouble with this came when I got a tire puncture and had to patch it.

For those of you familiar with the Stop n' Go patching kit, here is what happened: the steel weave would shear the plug to the point that it would break, and then the mushroom side would fall into the tire and the plug obviously just popped out at that point. THis wasn't user error. I've had a lot of punctured tires (7 in the last 4 years, it sucks) and have used the Stop N' Go patches for every single one without issue. On the Pirellis I went through two plugs before I rasped the living sh*t out of the puncture hole, and then it held up for me long enough to get to the shop.

Now, if you do rasp the puncture very, very, very well, will the stop n' go plug hold? Perhaps. But once you rasp that hole out it's pretty big, and if you lost that plug at highway speeds, the tire would deflate *very* quickly and be exceptionally hazardous. Personally, I sometimes do very long cross-country trips through very sparsely populated places. I need to be able to patch my tire if I get a flat and be confident enough to ride it to the next town with a shop.