Almost killed someone

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Lint, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    About an hour ago I was approaching an intersection with a green light driving the speed limit at 45 MPH and out of the corner of my eye, I see a little girl about 5 years old, running out through the intersection. I slammed on the brakes and the ABS kicked in, but it seemed to take an eternity to stop. She crossed half of a five lane wide intersection, AT NIGHT, with green lights both ways before I saw her and I just did. I stopped as quick as I could but I was only half a car length away from the intersection when I hit the brakes.

I came within about five feet from ending her life and destroying mine. I'm still shaking writing this and I still get tears in my eyes thinking about it. About two minutes after it happened, I'm not ashamed to say I started crying, unable to talk, shaking in realization of what almost happened.

It wouldn't have been my fault, the dad wasn't paying attention and his baby girl ran out, but she came up on my left, past cars stopped to make a left turn, and it was dark outside.

I seriously pray with all my soul that that is the closest I ever come. It just keeps replaying in my head. So very very close and I thank God with all of my being that nothing happened. I'm shaken to my core about this.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Holly shiet!!& whoa.. and wow Way to go your quick reaction, one millionth of a second to late and it be a different story.

3. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

OMG, I'm so sorry this very close call happened to you and her. :( How horrifying.

Did the father see what happened?
    Did the girl realize what happened?

Geeze, I hope you can get some rest tonight after this. :(

4. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, thats a tuff one brother, I truly feel for you, I believe God watches out for all of us, i know our Society says men are not saposta cry but its a natural emotion that everyone has. Like you did im sure thank God for watching over both you and the little girl, i bet her father got a wake up call.

5. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    The Father saw what happened, he ran out and grabbed her, but in shock he stopped directly in front of me. I get the feeling that they were already crossing the intersection, that's how she got that far out, I don't know though. If someone would have rear ended me, as I was stopped on a green light, I would have been pushed into both of them. Every time I think about it, I almost shatter again. So horribly, terribly close. Tears still keep coming.

6. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Nothing wrong with crying, far healthier than bottling it all up. Well done for stopping in time.

7. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    :snowman:Hey you did really good-thanks for having abs brakes-normal brakes wouldn't have stopped. I put EBC extreme pads on recently-I know they atop really well and a spray brake cleaner all the time to make sure they work in top shape. You did a great job -someone else wouldn't have-they killed two of my cats, one dog and hit one kid on my road-I piss off people by driving very slow down my road-and don't much care either.

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    If you ever have the misfortune of killing someone while operating any type of motor vehicle your life is ruined for ever. Glad it turned out ok :thumbsup:

9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    It might make you feel better to really check out your brakes-putting on say the pads I got EBC extreme might be a good idea-JC whittney had them really cheap. SS lines also would help-but are really expensive. Honda abs brakes are really top notch however-in good working condition, check tires too. it looks like you did really good- and were riding on your toes.

10. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Damn Lint. Close call is right.

So glad that everything is OK in the end. I couldn't imagine the guilt one would carry from something like that, your fault or not.

Your reactions saved lives.

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    DUDE, thank God you were the one (sorry) to save her life... Seeing everyone out there DOES NOT pay attention and because your a rider your always scanning the surroundings....think of it this way, you were actually her saving angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    You have every right to feel the way you do, don't let male stereotypes control your emotions. Thank God for your excellent reflexes and constant awareness (and ABS). Having been the one of first upon the scene of three fatal accidents, I can tell you it NEVER leaves you.

13. blackvfr

blackvfr New Member

United States
    Whoa! you are blessed Lint, let those tears cleanse the soul bro.