Universal signal lights

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by DeeBee, Aug 21, 2016.

1. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Picked these up for around $20 a set from Ebah.
    They were smaller than I expected and neither the lens cover nor the bullet plugs have any seals or waterproofing. Nothing a little silicone, di-electric grease, and a few rubber covers can't handle.

1471798996578-134758128.jpg
    1471799071757-1036589857.jpg
    1471799118085-215733424.jpg
    14717992210141781374498.jpg

Like I said a little smaller than expected, but as long as you seal up the lens and connectors they should be OK for a good while.

These are probably not the best choice for some of the long time riders unless the look happens to be spot on. But IMHO a good choice for a first timer who is otherwise likely to drop it and break a hard to find and expensive OEM replacement.

I wi try to add some photos once installed, if they work out I may put a set on the rear as well. That way I can set the originals aside until I do a oem restore or a fellow vffer needs them.

Later
    db

2. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

These universal signal/running lights had wires that were a bit short for my bike.
    I ended up using some 3.9mm bullet connectors with rubber clear rubber covers to put extended wires from the factory lights on the new signal lights.
    I could have also used any 3 copper wires 16gauge or thicker, but it was hard to pass on the factory colors, sheath, and length of wire extending beyond sheath (to allow room for connection to the bike)
    I chose to add connectors to the wires clipped from the factory signals since I had plenty of bullet connectors handy, I left plenty of wire on the factory signals to put connectors on ,so I could hook them back to their original wires quickly and easily.

This does add an extra set of connectors to whichever signals you wish to use. For those that don't care for that connections can be permanently soldered and cover with heat shrink.

Here is the pigtails with female bullets installed to the clipped end, I will hook the signal lights into these , which should help with any wiring confusion.

14723461188041091305439.jpg

You can see how the factory end of the wires have staggered connectors, this is a must if you will be soldering and/or putting the wires in a sheath as it keeps the connectors From being bundled together and being too large to fit under wire sheath.

The 3.9mm bullet connectors with water resistant covers can be had fairly inexpensively if you are willing to wait 20-30 days from China. Otherwise they can be a little pricey ,the best US source I found offered 25 male or female with covers for $10, so by the time you buy both male and female and pay for shipping you are up to $25-$30 for s handful of 20 cent connectors.
    If anyone needs a just a few for their bike and doesn't want to spend $30 and wait a week, or worse yet wait a month, PM me and I will post of few to you here in the states , possibly Canada. I ended up with a few sets after I got impatient waiting o the Chinese order... male, female, double female with the soft rubber insulators.

Here is a basic color code diagram that matches the front light wires on my vf700f and others, as well as the colors for many of the universal signal lights.

motorcycle-led-turn-signal-wiring-diagram-l-bea51bb12755ed8d.JPG

And this one is correct on the bike side and apparently could be used to run additional leds as multifunction lights.

FrontEnd_LED_wiring.jpg

Not a full step by step by any means but should be enough info to help with universal signal light install as well as add additional led lights on the fairing mirrors or anywhere waterproof Amber strip Leds can be stuck down . Enjoy ,hope it helps someone

Edit: in practice I found the second picture has the proper bike colors and the first picture has the right colors for the universal lights.

And BTW if you switch the power wires to check for the brightest element in the bulb (for the signals), you need to unhook the other light or swap them both at the same time.
    Not sure which either swapping wires on one bulb or a short to ground because the cheap universal lights did t have the insulators and left a few mm of bare connector sticking out. But I ended up getting some bad power feedback somewhere .
    It took out the main fuse, good news was I found a jury rigged plug for a battery maintainer , the other end went in and under the front chain guard , pretty big clue that it didn't belong

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    This is one of those nifty installs that is questionable. The collective we on bikes rely on turn signals a whole bunch. Why go with some cheaply made and obviously not weather resistant piece of equipment that needs that much fixing to become even barely functional.

This does not apply to SOW who sends oot amplitude modulated signals to all drivers within miles as to his indication of changing direction This also does not apply to harleydoods to whom turn signals are only for pussies.

4. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Lol, you are absolutely correct these things turned out to be absolute trash. The insulation on one of the wires almost immediately chaffed off on the sharp unfinished end of the stem. Not to mention that after the first test and before even finishing the job both bulbs developed the strangest short, going from 4.2 Ohms/2.8 Ohms for the two filaments to .6 ohms/ 2.8 ohms when tested out of the light assembly. This caused all kind of problems. I wasted more time than it was worth searching for the short, the first time I tested the lights to verify ground/park / signal wires all was correct , once the razor sharp stem cut into the insulation, all went south.

Definitely a case of buy cheap buy twice these things weren't worth $5.
    I think I will find a picture of a burnt bike, melt the lights down and send both to the seller with a letter shaming them for even carrying such junk.

Oh well this happens sometimes when you aim for bargains. Overall being a cheapskate has saved me more than it has cost. Knock on wood.

Now to go find a good left hand light and fix my right hand one or maybe just fix both. Kind of a shame the others were junk I liked the look of them.

Regards
    db