While you're in there jobs

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by DeeBee, Aug 28, 2016.

?

When doing repairs do you check, replace other things "while you are in there"?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2016.
  1. Absolutely always, dont want to have to take it back apart

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Sometimes depending on what or where i am repairing

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  3. Nope never ,if it aint broke don't fix it

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. I don't do my own repairs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

On almost every vehicle, there is one or more things that should be checked , cleaned , replaced while you have the area around it apart. This is particularly important with bikes because everything is so compact.
    I usually try to check and clean most things that are only accessible while I have the bits around it apart. I don't however replace non maintenance items, unless I am way deep into the bike and not likely to see the part again without several hours of wrenching when it fails.

Maybe I buy from the wrong people or places. But it seems like everytime I work on something new to me I find it's easy to see what the PO has worked on because it is rarely done right (if it were I wouldn't know it had been worked on). It seems that many people just don't bother with doing additional cleaning,and checking "while they are in there".

So I wanted to know how everyone here handles their repairs, do you do the extras, always, never, maybe and more importantly why or what do you always/ never check while you're in there.

Regards
    db

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I usually plan on doing a single mod or an inspection/refresh of a component which quickly escalates into something a whole lot bigger.......

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I tend to snoop around, example when the tank is lifted for like checking the air filter condition, I'll start poking around cleaning it up looking at what else may be. Same goes for other areas of the VFR, Rear wheel off, I'll peek at the rear brake caliber and hub assembly back side off the shock etc. all on the back side. Another is taking the rear cowl off checking all the electrical connections, ie; R/R for trouble.

4. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Depends on the miles.

Replaced intake manifold gaskets on my s-10, water pump and hoses got replaced too. 150,000 miles.

5. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I'm quickly getting to the point where I just want to drop my bike off and just get whatever needs done, done. I'm just losing patience with this needing done, that needing done, etc. I guess I should just buy a new bike and a really comprehensive maintenance program. I know it's a grip of money to pay someone to work on a bike, at least those worth paying, but I am getting to the point where my time is worth more.

That said, if I am working on something and I see more that needs done, I usually do it.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It's usually dependent on what area I'm working in and what may need replacement. For example, while doing an oil change I always pull off the fairings and inspect the wiring harness, while doing this I found one of the radiator mounts was busted, so I replaced it. Also took the opportunity to replace the rubber bushings on all of the radiator mounts, considering they were more than 10 years old.

7. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    It mainly depends if I am doing a 'time limited job' or not.

I also prefer to do the 'same' type of jobs together - ie bleeding brakes - 1 do both at the same time, suspension front & back together, plastics, carbs get balanced if they get fiddled with, etc, etc

8. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Yes. I do as much as I can.

The 01 that bought this spring has only 4100 miles on it, so the POs didn't get in deep. But even at just 4100 miles, it looks like the fairings had been off more than once. The little black plastic rivits weren't all there. The drain plug washer was crushed so badly, it was useless. The oil filter was on so tight, I had to stick a screw driver thru it. The muffler was gone, as was the owners manual. The bars wee replaced with ones from a Honda 650 Hawk. The originals were gone also. The clutch and front brake lever were awol, also. The tires were mismatched.
    Really? All that at just 4100 miles?

9. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    While I do have MBD - quite often I do have a bad case of the "while I'm at its" -- lol

Latest case --- I swear, I was just going to change the rear tire! :eek:range:

[​IMG]

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ Yep been there, ..... with a jeep I had. It all started with the brakes being checked, ended up doing a whole front and rear diff swap then suspension. Crazy how that goes huh.

11. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    I can't claim to not do any wrenching.
    But am not a fan of sweating, cursing, and knuckle bashing.
    Also not a fan of large mechanic bills.
    So, pick my poison. :grumpy:

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Are you sure that the odometer had not rolled over once. The 6th gen only goes to 99,999 then rolls over to 0 again. My 06 has rolled twice now in the KM scale and once in the miles scale. You seem to have a lot of issues that are consistent with a much higher mileage bike.

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    A lot depends on what I find and how confident I feel about tackling what I find. Also depends on the thickness of my wallet and flexibility of my credit card I suppose.

14. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Randy, I thought about what you said, a lot. I had the same thought early on, but dismissed it until your said it again.

If there is stock, unmodded, rectifier on it, that would be a good indication that it is indeed under 100K.

I also think I may be able to have the local Honda shop to put the vin into the system. If it had any warranty work, there would be a record of it, and the mileage, at the time. I may get lucky.

I haven't had all that much trouble with this thing. I replaced the thermostat. That wasn't any fun. But other than that, I changed oil, eventually the rear tire, and swapped that ugly chain for a nice gold DID.

I really like this old bike. But if I got duped, which is possible, I'm going to sell it in the spring.

15. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Other tell tale sign would be the rubber on the foot pegs. If they had anywhere near 100K miles they would be showing signs of wear. I would just be very suspicious of that mileage with it being the way you say it is. Especially having the look of the fairings having been removed a few times. Mine never came off until it went in for its first service and then, for the first while anyway, only when it was being looked at by the shop. Regardless, if you are happy with the bike then that is all that matters. Mine has over 200,000 km (124,300+-Miles) and it is still running strong.

16. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    How many times have you had the valves adjusted Randy?

17. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Checked three times but adjusted only once the second time. They were checked two years ago and were right on spec.

18. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    It runs very strong.

The foot pegs look almost new. On top, that is. The bottoms looked that way also, until a few weeks ago, when I started dragging pegs.

I bought a Honda 919 new in 04. I rode it for 6 years, then sold it. It still looked almost new. A couple of years after I sold mine, I was at the local Honda shop, and there was a ratty old 919. Mine was Silver, this one was maroon. One front brake line was black and too long. The chain looked tired. Different cans than my old one. Cheap after market mirrors, and turn signals. But hey, this thing has a cut down Renthal bar, just like my old bike. It also had a schmancy alt cover like mine...... There's the hold I drilled into the airbox. This sad looking mess was my old bike.

Moral of the story: Quite often, the worst thing to happen to a fine motorcycle is the slugs that buy them.