Not only new to VF's, but new to motorcycles

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mike_, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Mike_

Mike_ New Member

Hello Everyone, I didn't think I would be making my first post 5 min, after joining the forum but here we are. So, not only am I new to the honda vf700f, I have maybe a total of 30 minutes of riding time under my belt from 1977 till now. My wife has recently recovered from having 3 types of cancer. One of the things that she used to love was riding her friends motorcycle when she lived in Florida, and some of her fondest memories from childhood were working on motorcycles with her grandfather. She told me he used put her on the tank and drive her around the back roads. I bought a 2000 cbr 929rr for her because she loved Hondas. It was way too big for her. She dropped it at the end of the driveway. Not the best way to rekindle a romance. So I recently found a gentleman selling an 84 vf700f with no title, and an 85 parts bike with good frame and clean title. I bought them both for 500 bucks. The 84 runs and drives ok, but the rear head has some noise in it. Needless to say I figure the best information available is from the group of owners that have owned and loved this bike for decades. I'm a general contractor that went to school for several things and finished none of them. Once i figured out that they had taught me how to learn I pretty much went on my own in so many en devours its not worth my time to list them. I have worked on just about anything that doesn't fly and has an engine. I usually depend on great fundamentals and logic to fix things, and also anonymous browsing of internet bulletin boards. Needless to say, I'm glad to be here. It seems like a friendly community open to newcomers and that is what I'm hoping for. Ill be posting pictures of our new project soon, and thank you in advance for the welcome....

Mike Ludwig
    upstate NY

2. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Welcome Mike. I'm glad your wife is recovering. I have a 700. You'll like it

Take your time learning to ride it. Try to find an experienced rider to ride with.

3. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hi Mike. Welcome aboard! I hope your wife is ok now. That CBR929 was an animal! Interesting choice for your wife's ride. Enjoy your VF700, its a great machine.

4. Check6

Check6 New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome Mike. Good news that your wife wants to get back to something she loves. Take your time with the bike, and if you can, get both of you registered in an MSF course. The 929, like Laker said, is a beast. Good luck, and hoping you and your wife stay healthy and enjoy your new adventure. I'm not a very good wrench other than oil changes, and know nothing about the model you bought. You'll probably find lots of help here.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Welcome to The World Mike_! You're in the right place for all things VFR related. Good luck on your project(s)!

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Might be an ok buy at $500 but this thing is likely to be more work than you bargain for. Consider flipping it for a few bucks profit and buy a ninja 500.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

7. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

I recently got a vf700f as my first bike ,it was running but poorly. You will want to check and change all if your fluids and filters, check for rust in the tank as well as the carb bowls.

Mine ended up having the most corroded looking Dot-4 I ever saw in the clutch system.
    The oil filter weighed a ton, K&N air filter was so plugged up it could barely breathe, and there was a bit of fine powdery rust in the fuel filter, 3 of 4 pilot jets were plugged, the front forks had about 1/3 of the "fluid' more like sludge they should have had, the plug wires were the originals and bleeding spark off to the motor ground, the valve train was and remains a bit noisy. All of this at just 17K miles.

Most of what I and others find, is related to neglect and disuse, not wear and tear. These bikes are quite tough as I found all of this after a 25 minute ride home half of which was on the freeway.

Timing chain tensioners get a groove worn in the pressure rod and allow for valve train noise.
    Watch for the possible cam issue as well.

There are many others here that as you suspect have owned and loved these bikes for decades, who can give you much better direction, and more specifics

8. Mike_

Mike_ New Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome, and the good starting advice. I like a challenge and have no fear of tearing this thing down to its bolts. I'm sure its goingto be a fun project. I will post pictures of the progress, and certainly be asking for some kernels of wisdom along the way.

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Hey! welcome Mike. Yes, for heavens sake post up some photos, you know what they say, no photo didn't happen ;)

10. Mike_

Mike_ New Member

11. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Your choice, done it myself. Just so you're aware you could sell those parts off, double your money, and be riding a more reliable machine next week. All the time and money you put in that thing and it won't be worth more than $1200. But you could sell it off smart in a couple pieces for $1000 right now. Most people don't find it worth the brain damage unless you have some long love for the VF.

12. Mike_

Mike_ New Member

Thanks for the heads up on the potential profit, but this project is more about spending time with my wife and having fun. I have been keeping an eye out for other vff's and have been considering picking up some other parts bikes. Found one in Mass. for $200.00 just not sure if i want to drive that far. once I know what I need and do not, I'll be posting parts for trade/sale/swap/free. for instance I have 3 swing arms and can't ever imagine needing a spare.

13. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Geesh, for $500 how can you go wrong? Looks in decent shape, the forks are definitely set wrong, sticking way too high. Here is a picture of one of mine, minus the spacer that is supposed to be between the handle bars and the triple clamp. There are grooves cut in tubes for clips that are suppose to be just below triple clamp to locate them at the correct height.
    [​IMG]

14. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    I really do applaud the rationale behind the purchases, but be smart about it here.

Bikes can be dangerous to ride, even after years of experience. Putting a novice on even a 500 is more than a slight additional risk. I started on a 350 as a teenager, well over 40 years ago. The other option was a Bonneville 650 Triumph, and it would likely have killed me. The 350 got me into enough trouble, a 175 or 250 would have been better, in retrospect. My sons both started on a Ninja 250, and not flawlessly. I don't understand parents which allow the leap directly onto a 600.
    Please follow the advise to take the MSF rider course. It is an essential component to understanding the task of operating a motorcycle safely. The teaching MC's are usually 250's or smaller, and there is a good reason for that.

Happy that you joined the forum looking for support, it is certainly available.

15. Mike_

Mike_ New Member

I agree the coarse is the best way to get you license in NY also. My wife has a lot of exp. on a 600cbr, so the older carbureted 700 is right up her alley. I'm the idiot who's going to start out on a 929. All that said, it only goes as fast as you make it.

16. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    As a new rider, above all else, understand and learn "counter-steering".

17. Mike_

Mike_ New Member

Thanks for the tip. I probably wont even get out on the back roads very far. I'm apprehensive to put myself in with other vehicles until the operation of the bike is second nature to me. Right now I have to process all the steps and thats no good for reaction time if something unexpected happens.

18. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]
    Here is a good example of "Counter-steering". Dirt track racing on an oval, all left hand turns. Look at which way his front wheel is pointing! This is exaggerated because he is sliding, but it clearly illustrates the physics of steering. It is due to the angle of the forks and the location of the contact patch of the tire, that is just the way it is.

Learn it, make it second nature to PUSH on the side of the handle bars to turn in that direction. It is counter intuitive, if you get in a panic situation and you let your mind do was seems logical, it could kill you. I know, it happened to me after riding for 10 years back in the early 80's. Never learned or paid attention, because it was like riding a bicycle, until one day on the Angeles Crest Highway, I panicked and let my mind take over. Almost went over an 1100' embankment.

19. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    The reason that works is that cornering force for motorcycles is primarily produced by "Camber Thrust".... As opposed to "Slip Angle" as is is for cars.

20. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]
    Exactly what I said, sorry I didn't know this term.