After hard work searching I finally found a tank and a bonus find....

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by BluemoonerUK, Sep 3, 2016.

1. BluemoonerUK

BluemoonerUK New Member

Canada
    Map
    So my friend whist working on my bike (85 VF500F) knocked it off the centre stand and dented my tank!!!

I have for the past few weeks been trying to track one down (daily and hourly looking online on Kijiji - Canada's Craigslist for classifieds) and found a few that were in a lot worse shape than mine and rusty, they were either on the other side of the country or I just didn't get a response from the seller. I did find 2 that were in good condition but they wanted (what I think was too much) $800 CAD.

Today I woke up and did my usual routine (one eye open trying to read the latest posted ads under the V500F search tab) Then I see it - A bloke selling 2 VF500F bikes for parts and he was in my city!!!! Quickly called and within the hour I am at his house.

I picked up a dent free tank that just needs a good cleaning and coating and it's good to go for $40 CAD and then here is the BONUS the seller asks what seat I have...........he asks me to follow him to the back of his house and there it was.........he shows me a Corbin seat in top condition he had.....I purchased both for $100 CAD!!!!!!

My wife is over the moon as I haven't stopped smiling all day.....yes dear I will pay for a slap up meal tonight.....ha ha ha

Just thought I would share my joy today as it's been a pain trying to locate a good tank.

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

Attached Files:

2. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Congrats on the find. Some days it's all about right place, right time. And being a former Calgarian, you got the parts just in time for the freak September snowstorm. LOL. Just kidding. Hope you have many riding days left this season.

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Great find, swap the filler caps so the keys match, and save the other one in an air tight bag, rubber seals can't be replaced, they are integral part of cap.

4. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
    Score !! Well done, I have a dented tank on my '84 VF750, I'd like to find a tank, but I'm prepared to fix this one... Where are you located in Canada ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. BluemoonerUK

BluemoonerUK New Member

Canada
    Map
    I am in Calgary, Alberta. I often see vf750's and 1000's up up for sale as whole and parts. The price what people want for 500 tanks is madness, one guy wanted nearly $1000!

If I come across a tank I will let you know.

Where are you located?

6. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
    I live on the west coast (Richmond), but I am in Calgary at least once a month, grew up there, and I visit my dad a lot more since my mum died. Any excuse to get to Calgary... If you do come across a tank, message me here and let me know !!

7. BluemoonerUK

BluemoonerUK New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey I found a 750 tank, well he has a 750 for parts. He is in PEI but he may ship it to you

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...le/1202091162?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

8. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
  9. BluemoonerUK

BluemoonerUK New Member

Canada
    Map
    No problem, hope he responds and it's all good.

10. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
    Thanks again for the find -- wanted to let you know FYI, I messaged this guy twice asking for a info and a few pics, he told me the tank had a bit of rust but he never took pictures to show the tank. Ah well - the search continues ....!!

11. BluemoonerUK

BluemoonerUK New Member

Canada
    Map
    That's crappy. That happened to me twice. I e-mailed the guy and called him and he said to send him another e-mail etc. He never responded!

I will keep my eyes peeled.

12. Gregg in ohio

Gregg in ohio New Member

cool deal..i have a front cowling and a set of lockhart fiberglass lowers for a vf500.unknown year...the lowers don't have any hardware ,,easy made brackets,,for install..but glas you found a deal now to resurrect the 86 vfr #000237..other vfr700 is 000037..glad for ya..Gregg in ohio

13. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
    Appreciated, thanks mate --

Let me know if your looking for anything specific as well, I'll be happy to scout for parts as well.

14. captainmook

captainmook New Member

Canada
    Hey Bluemooner --

First time back on the forums in a long while - found a guy in Kelowna with a VF750 he was selling (my current Honda is bike 1, this purchase is bike 2) -- it was in pieces, stripped right down to the frame, and the tank was (a) the right color, and (b) no dents or scratches. Bought the whole bike for $500, the engine looks to be in pristine condition and all the parts easy to access.

Bike 1 is getting the tank from bike 2 put on it, plus a new regulator/ stator to try and fix an electrical problem it's been having. (Read on the forums about batteries not being charged properly and that this might be a fix for it - fingers crossed). Making this assembly to take photos for insurance purposes, and to get back riding ASAP ... in BC you can get super cheap insurance if you have collector plates on the bike, but because of the previous dented tank it wouldn't be accepted. Should fix the problem with a clean tank.

Bike 2 is now going to be my new project bike - I plan to start with any parts that can be sandblasted and powder coated - frame, brake callipers, wheels, anything - then check/ clean the engine/ wiring harness.... then start the rebuild. I will likely go on a new thread to get the ball rolling and take everyone along on this adventure. Stay tuned !!!

15. JerryIke

JerryIke New Member

United States
    captainmook I bought a tank for $100 that is in VERY good condition on the outside. The inside will need cremed. I ended up repairing my "clean" tank and do not need the one I just bought. I will get a couple pictures up this weekend. If you like it you can have it for what I paid plus shipping. It would be UPS from zip code 60552.