Delkevic Stubby 350mm Oval Carbon Fibre Silencer install on 8th gen.

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Nelix, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    This may be of some use to someone changing their exhaust, though to be honest it was not difficult and I'm the type of guy that could break kryptonite when working on a vehicle.
    Took me about an hour. Required tools, plus gas, socket set, spanner, allen keys and liberal swear words (optional)

Removing the OEM exhaust.
    I used plus gas on the bolts to be removed, everything came off easily enough but my bike is only a few months old with 3000miles on it.

Bike as standard.

[​IMG]

Using a 12mm socket and spanner, loosen the nut and bolt holding the exhaust onto the hanger on the passenger foot peg. Keep these safe as you will need to reuse for the Delkevic.

[​IMG][​IMG]

There is a clamp with two bolts where the exhaust joins the manifold, remove these with a 12mm socket, keep these also as although they are not used for the Delkevic you will need them if you go back to stock.[​IMG]
    Once these are removed, remove the bolt at the hanger whilst supporting the exhaust and gently wiggle and pull it free.

Bike sans exhaust.

[​IMG]

Fitting the Delkivic.

Firstly attach the rubber sleeve to the exhaust support bracket ensuring it is on correctly both sides and all the way round.

[​IMG]

Using the exhaust sealant supplied, put a bead of sealant all the way round the inside of the Delkevic exhaust and the inside of the link pipe connecting to the manifold.

[​IMG]

Then join them loosely together, ensuring the clamp is in place.

[​IMG]

The next bit is a wee bit tricky. Have the bike on the side stand (this will allow you to check if the rubber stop for the centre stand is correctly aligned) I put some WD40 on the manifold pipe as it was quite tight and it needs to go all the way on.
    Have a good look at the picture on the Delkevic site to give you an idea of the position of the link pipe. Slip the link pipe onto the manifold pipe making sure the clamp is in position, and work it all the way on, slip the hanger over the exhaust and bolt it loosely to the foot peg.
    Now check the alignment of the link pipe rubber stop for the centre stand and the alignment of the exhaust itself, once you are happy all is in place correctly tighten up the clamp on the link pipe to the manifold pipe, the clamp joining the link pipe to the Delkevic and the bolt on the hanger.

Job done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very pleased with the sound, camera phone does not do it justice really.
    I did not notice a great deal of difference after taking the baffle out, I will try a few runs in and out and decide then.

Baffle in.
    [video=youtube_share;kzqj8YOOcnY]http://youtu.be/kzqj8YOOcnY[/video]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Baffle out.

[video=youtube_share;x_3jApbSEKA]http://youtu.be/x_3jApbSEKA[/video]

3. 4corsa

4corsa New Member

United States
    Well done and perfect timing (for me). Literally planning to place my order for the same 14" Oval Delkevic tomorrow! Really sounds great.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

4. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Well done Nelix! Thanks for the install and sound clips - very helpful! Is yours the 18" or 14"?

Coincidentally, I've been on the Delkovic USA site for the last hour pondering which one to get. I'm leaning towards the Mini 8" round but still torn between the stainless at $199 v. carbon at $239. According to their website they both offer a nearly 3hp increase with the stainless weighing about 5lbs while the carbon weighs incredibly under 3lbs.

They both say "designed for track use only" and "these silencers are short and aggressive sounding with the baffle removed but with neighborhood friendly "db" levels with the new baffle in". However, where I live there are so many obscenely loud Harley's running around I will probably go unnoticed even with the dB killer removed - LOL

Here's a link to the US Delkovic site, your advice on which one to get would be appreciated.

http://www.delkevic.us/index.php?ro...es-Honda-2014-VFR800F Interceptor (2014-2016)

5. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi Gator. This is mine.
    http://www.delkevic.us/index.php?route=product/product&path=2420_7755_7892&product_id=2713&Title=Stubby+14"+Carbon+Fiber+Oval+Muffler+to+fit+VFR800F+Interceptor+%282014-2016%29&SKU=KIT09AS

I did want the mini,http://www.delkevic.us/index.php?route=product/product&path=2420_7755_7892&product_id=2706&Title=Mini+8"+Carbon+Fiber+Round+Muffler+to+fit+VFR800F+Interceptor+%282014-2016%29&SKU=KIT01AS

Alas the cops here do not take kindly to non road legal exhausts, so it was a no brainer for me.

6. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Placed my order yesterday, arrived at 14.00 today.

7. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Cool thanks! I think I'll give the stainless mini a shot :)

8. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Put up a pic when on.

9. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  10. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds great. Pretty hard to make a vfr800 sound bad. Needs more highmount.

11. 4corsa

4corsa New Member

United States
    Just fyi, placed an order today for the 350mm / 14" version and received an email that they are currently out of stock for the connector pipe, but expect them in late next week. I'm assuming this will probably affect more than just their 14" version

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

12. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    For some reason I can't access the forum from my computer. I'd forgotten my password and tried to connect via Facebook, now I constantly get the error message Facebook has directed you too many times.

13. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Will do! I just ordered the round mini - I ended up going with the carbon - it's more $ but it's about 2 lbs lighter than the stainless mini and I think it looks a bit better. Here's their promo pic on a red - can't wait to get it. Thanks again for the install tips - it looks very easy. Edit: Nelix, if possible can you please weigh the stock exhaust and link pipe? I'm curious how much overall weight you dropped with the Delk - thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  14. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Yeah they told me the same thing for my order today as well :(

15. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Yeah I know, but his pic almost looked more like the 18" pictured on the Delk website - so I was just double checking. I think it's just the angle of his pic, it's taken from a bit more forward of an angle which gives the illusion of his 14" specimen looking the same as the 18" version on the Delk website. I can relate because the ladies frequently mistake my 14 inches for 18 inches :banplease:

16. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    There's a lot less weight difference than you think...and those mini rounds are quite loud without the insert.

17. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Do you have this exhaust Dave? I have no idea what the difference is - that's why I'm hoping Nelix can weigh the stock exhaust. Delkovic claims the carbon mini is about 3 lbs I think, but I don't know if that includes just the can or the whole enchilada. I remember reading a review that the stock 8th gen exhaust weighs 11 lbs less than the 6th gen so I'm very interested to know what the savings will be with the Delk.

OneLife posted this vid of what looks like the Delk carbon mini and claims it's "much lighter", so we shall see. As for it being loud, I'm counting on that LOL! I was doing some experimenting and learned that we have enough torque at idle to slowly accelerate from a complete stop by just being super easy on the clutch lever - so I may have to do that when coming and going through my neighborhood with the dB killer out LOL.

[video=youtube;Olp-enMzigM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olp-enMzigM[/video]

18. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    I weighed my stock can quite some time ago, but can't remember exactly what it was...I'm thinking it was somewhere around 10 lbs, and the 14" Delkevic carbon I had at the time was only a few pounds less than that. My current DAM is probably pretty close to stock weight, but looks and sounds so much better.

19. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    I found this DAM equipped 8th gen on YT, sounds pretty DAM nice! I'm reminded of an old review of the '98 LS1 equipped Z/28 when it first came out comparing it to the '97 LT1 equipped Z/28 (I had just gotten a new '97 vert so I was very interested in these things back then LOL), and they said the LT1 sounded like a "barbarian" and the LS1 sounded like a "warrior". To me the Delk mini sounds like the barbarian of the two and your DAM sounds like the warrior. I kind of prefer the barbarian sound but I'd be very happy with that DAM I'm sure :)

[video=youtube;qz4kl7sWapg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz4kl7sWapg[/video]

20. fatshoutybloke

fatshoutybloke New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I weighed mine when I changed it and it came in at 4.961g, a fraction under 11 lbs.