South East friends! Looking for trip advise and maybe some help!

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by kayakzack, Sep 27, 2016.

1. kayakzack

kayakzack New Member

In the rough stages of planning a motoholiday.

The wife is flying down to Orlando with our daughter in February to visit her parents, I originally said I probably wasn't going to come, but hearing that this is supposed to be a nasty cold winter, I figure by February I will be ready for a bit of warmth and a break from work.

Thinking I might drive the truck and trailer the bike south, not sure how far I need to go to get some decent weather. But as long as there is no snow on the ground, I dont mind riding.

Rough plan is to drive to South Carolina, Myrtle Beach area, and park the truck and continue on the moto. This will be mid Feb, so hopefully weather is decent. Figure 1 day from Toronto to Myrtle Beach, 2 days to Poinciana. 3 days in Florida, and then start making my way home over 3 days.

What I NEED help with.... Is there anyone in the south east that has a spot I could park my truck and trailer for a few days that is relatively safe? Doesnt have to be Myrtle Beach, I was just using that as a rough location, would like to try and cruise mainly coastal roads.

And recommendations for roads! Would like to stay off the interstate as much as possible, but still head south in a fairly timely fashion.

Thanks!

2. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I think anywhere from Richmond, Virgina and South should be fine.

You're missing out on some great roads by going only coastal though. Then again - you are going in February.

#1 and #A1A in Florida are really nice with great views of the water, but straight and SLOOOOOOWWWWW due to massive amounts of traffic and towns. I-95 runs parallel but the views aren't nearly as nice. Cut over and head directly West once you reach Cocoa / Port Canaveral.

I frequent Florida often. :)

3. kayakzack

kayakzack New Member

ya I thought about going through some of the central states, but due to limited time, weather etc, I think it may be safer to stick to the coast. That is roughly the route I was looking at so far.

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Makes sense. If you love the ocean and don't mind the traffic and straight roads (not in a hurry), then you'll enjoy that route. Lots to see. Corbin has a store front in Ormond Beach that's worth a stop. Pretty neat. Go check the bathrooms if you stop in there too.

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Several dudes here that frequent Florida 24/7 who may suggest a look at the NOAA long range weather forecasts and weather history.

Corbin also has a store in SoCal in case you get off the beaten path and have a pocketful of pesos to throw around.

6. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Have you been there? Is it like the one in Florida in the sense that they use motorcycle parts everywhere in the decor?

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Me in a Corbin store? LOLzz. Time once again for a plug for Rich's Seats eh? Rich has a bin for old seats and might have a Corbin or two for sale cheap. Other than that, his shop looks like a shop.

If I get down Florida way again, I'd probably head for Disney or hit Gator up for some fishing.