Fuel mileage thread

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by DeeBee, Sep 29, 2016.

1. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Was looking to get an idea of where others are
    at mileage wise , and thought it would be nice to have a list of mileages for our bikes.
    I guess the important things to know would be year /model or code, gearing, engine mods ,where and how you ride and of course mileage (mpg or liters per 100km)

'84 vf700f , K&N, jetted, 16/44 (16/45 effective with slightly shorter tire) 34.25 mpg or 6.87 Liters/100km

Not sure if 34 is OK for my bike. I am jetted a little on the fat side of good and running such low gearing seems to me like that is just about right vs 35mpg for stock lean jetting andb slightly taller rear tire worth about one tooth biggere on the rear difference.

mpg / Lp100km converter
    http://carrentsale.com/calculators/convert_mpg_to_l_100_km_calculator_l_km_to_mpg.php

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Using the parameters listed, mileage on that particular bike can range from really good to really crappy.

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I got 40 on my 93 the other day, i musta been riding near the constabulatory becauae i generally get 32mpg. :loco: if you want good gas mileage go around or below the speed limit :vtr2:

4. dave2336

dave2336 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a new, about 800 miles, 800FD and see 48 average for city driving. Highway is 55+.

5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    VTEC + Higher compression + Milder cams, ports, velocity stacks and exhaust? + Better tuning = Ridiculous MPGs

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I actually get better mileage out of my 5 Gen than I do with my 6 Gen, even though I use it primarily for sport (Canyon) riding. I average 45MPG among several tankfuls of gas. The best I got was 53MPG, almost all freeway miles.

Ironically, with my 6 Gen, which is my commuter bike, I average about 40MPG and I am primarily on freeways. The only two things that I can say work against the 6 Gen, is I carry more weight (in a top case and tank bag) and have a Power Commander, which does enriched the fueling. I think the lowest I have ever had on either bike was about 37MPG. I think this was on my 6 Gen, though I don't recall the circumstances.

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Depends on ones hand. How smooth you are, shift points. i've seen anything from mid 30 to 55 mpg, if I was to pick an average, 46 mpg this 5th gen with a pc3 k-n slip on, dyno tuned, yea average is 45-46, seen 43 the worse, 52 the best. Now with the 4th gen, 55 was easy, 50mpg was really common and I tend not to have a light hand.

8. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Weight + air drag + fuel

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ya know what would be fun here is, maybe next years R3 we'll get together ride the same route, then compare notes. ;) I've notice at times with guys on more or less the same bike, same ride there's quite a bit of difference. how is that ? ;0

10. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Difference in tuck? Difference in gearing? Difference in tune/ target AFR?

I'm running a stock tooth count rear and an extra tooth up front. Cruising at 90 all day is pretty relaxed. I would imagine, a full tuck at 75mph and a light throttle hand would eek out some great mpg, especially if I fiddle with the target AFR.

One day if I go on a real long ride, I want to bump my target AFR up a few points, say from 13.2 to 13.4:1
    Ride one way at 13.2 and the other at 13.4. Then compare mpgs, to see if its worth the possible performance loss.

11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I know that, the irony is that the better mileage comes from the one I rail on!

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As CandyRed said but the same applies to tire life. I know I get a lot more miles out of the same tires than others so, either I am better at tire management, the pavement surfaces are extremely different or they ride way more aggressively that I do. Maybe all of the above.

Another good test to do though, is to swap bikes after obtaining a reading, then do the same run again. If the same results follow the bike and not the rider that may tell us something. However, if the exact same conditions are not experienced, then the results are just theoretical.

13. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I like the idea of just locking into a set speed on the highway, for as long as possible, to try to rule out rider variance.

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I like that, should be doable at R3 right? ;)

15. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't forget rider weight plays a roll in this as well. I'm 250lbs (at least) w/ gear. It would stand to reason that a 185 lb rider for example would use less fuel especially under acceleration.

16. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I bet at R3 after 5-6 beers the mileage gets better.

17. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
  18. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

I am hoping that gearing up will help on mileage, 7K is just too much rpm while cruising, at the very least I want to be around 6K at 80 17/43 or 17/41 even should do just that and at least keep down on wear on the engie

19. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    theres a thread on here somewhere where a 500 rider discusses his mpg dropping to low 30s after gearing his bike UP to cruise at lower highway rpms. take that with a grain of salt since youre on a bigger bike with more torque and different gearing to begin with. I would also keep in mind that your bike is designed to cruise just fine at basically any rev range as long as youre not lugging it. I have no problem (and get 50 mpg) cruising at 7500 rpm at 80mph on my 500. theres a lot to think about here though, i mean when your bike was made the national speed limit was 55, and honda may have desinged it to get best mpgs at that speed. not that they were only designing for the US market but you get what I'm saying.

20. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Actually the VFR800 VTEC is a great bike to hyper mile, since the VTEC on our bikes is economy, not performance based, it creates a swirl within the combustion chamber while in two valve mode. If you see what the hypermiling civic guys are doing with VTEC-e engines (very similar to Hyper VTEC employed on the VFR VTEC), the two valve mode (3 valve, one intake and 2 exhaust valves, in civics) allows these engines to run in lean burn mode and is capable of safely running stupid lean AFR's with in a given range and conditions. It takes a lot of experimenting to figure it out, but these guys are running 19-20:1 AFR's in a very small window.

Basically you have about 6 cells in your fuel and ignition maps for light throttle cruising, say right around 2300 rpms and 4% throttle, in top gear at around 60mph, where you lock into a set speed, and run in lean burn mode. The key to it is not transitioning into lean burn, it needs to be an abrupt on/off, because if you slowly transition into it, excessive heat and detonation can occur (common knowledge says leaner is always hotter, but that is not the case. Combustion heat by afr is actually a bell curve, peaking at around 14.5, not a straight line that gets hotter with less and less fuel, so 20:1 actually creates less heat than 15:1). So you would have most of your fuel/ignition mapping set conservatively at around 13ish to 1, then a 2x3 cell window that is tuned to about 19:1 with added ignition advance as well, since super lean AFR's take much longer to burn.

All of it is very counter-intuitive to everything I have learned about safely tuning for power, since normally anything over 13.2:1, hot air charge and excessive ignition timing is considered dangerous, but thats exactly what they do. It all works together, since hot air is less oxygen dense, it requires less fuel and since it is hotter, it vaporizes the fuel better for a more complete burn. 4 valve head layouts, when only using one intake valve do the same thing, as it creates a swirl, you get a more complete and more stable combustion. The since the AFR is so lean, it burns more slowly, so you add a bunch of timing to give this lean air fuel mixture additional time to burn. Of course this is only possible in a very small low rpm/low throttle/low load window, if you try to do this under load/higher throttle/higher rpms, things will go very bad, very fast.

I would love to try this, say at 5% throttle and 3500 rpms, for hypermiling at 55mph, but I think it would require more mapping resolution, than any of the current tuning solutions can offer. You would probably require a stand alone ecu or ecu flash to get more fine resolution and a much more precise window...