This is what clean living will get ya......Say Whaaatttt??

Discussion in 'USA - South' started by James Bond, Sep 29, 2016.

1. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Oh my good gosh!! Saturday.....no rain and high of 78, low of 53 degrees forecast!!!! AND my VFR (Interceptor?), has non-ethanol gas in it and will have it in it all day long where I absolutely have to ride in honor of the weather gods. I'm loving that weather and gasoline. She runs SOOOOO much stronger on non-government fuel. :topsy_turvy:

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

You've just describe most days here in So Cal, well apart from the low of 53, that usually comes later in the year. Can't say I've had an issue with gov't gas yet but know it's not something I don't want to try. I say ride my friend, ride it like you stole it!

3. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Non ethanol gas? What? :ghost:

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep for some reason the weather gods up here in the PNW have been nice the last couple of weeks, "thank you" 75-73, though a low of 45 this morning, but warms up quickly so hell yea, get out and ride no matter what the fuel is to a point Chevron here works pretty well.

5. 2Wheel Drift

2Wheel Drift New Member

United States
    Map
    Drifting,

Thanks for starting this thread. I see you have found the magic motion lotion too!! My neighbor complained to the mayor about the lousy gas available around here. I guess his new 300 hp Sea-doo PWC's needed special fuel. Now we have a Mobil station with pure gas. It so nice to pull up to the pump and get real gas again for my antique VFR. You found out how good these bikes run on the real thing again!!!

I cleaned my exhaust pipe outlet around 1200 miles ago and still almost spotless with this gas. Almost no carbon and the bike screams through the gears with no flat spots. This bike has never run better. Or anything else I put it in. Enjoy!!! It is always good to find something like this to put a smile on you face, and the bikes!!

6. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    It's almost all I use and it transforms a VFR.

7. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

My '84 vf7, my '95 BMW 328is all I will run is 91-93 octane ethanol free fuel, with an occasional dose of heat (methanol). Really anything made before '05 should be running ethanol free.

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    We should be getting some really nifty riding weather reports from our dudes in Florida. In my hood it's like Elsie on a shale bed taking a leak

9. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I never quit using it. It is available if you look for it. VFR's run very significantly stronger on it as long as it is 87 octane. VFR's don't like high octane gas. I've only owned three of them. ; )

Also, two cycle yard equipment will douce out on ethanol (welfare) gas.

10. 2Wheel Drift

2Wheel Drift New Member

United States
    Map
    What is your opinion of why VFR's do not like premium gas? What problems has it caused for you? My bike is running at high altitude. It should be running rich except it runs crisp, very responsive and absolutely rips through the gears with 91 octane pure fuel. And, I was thinking of putting a small amount of Maxima High Test in the tank along with 2 cap fulls per tank of Maxima Super M 2-stroke oil to keep the tank rust free.

11. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    You asked for an opinion so that's all I have to offer. No science that I can prove. After a 5th, 6th, and now an 8th gen. VFR I've found that premium pure gas or premium ethanol doesn't make a VFR perform well AT ALL. Regular makes mine perform better. The thing I can opine is that the valve overlap makes for an EFFECTIVE compression ratio significantly less than 11.6, or for the 8th gen., 11.8. I also think there may be something about the ECU that has some affect.

Along these lines, I owned 350ci, '98, and '99 pick-ups. My dealer went very out of his way to tell me NOT to use premium gas in them. Naturally, I had to try it and both trucks ran poorly on premium. Also, having owned two BMW bikes that ran VERY well on the recommended premium, I go back to electronics as a factor. The compression on them was not significantly different than a VFR. In the world of BMW friends, nobody even considered using regular fuel.

PS---I just noticed you have an '86VFR. A friend of mine and someone everyone here would know that rides an '86, uses premium gas only in his '86's. He rides more than one '86. We rode together last Saturday. Why an '86 likes it and the 800's don't prolly has to do with electronics. Just supposition. Until I run across someone that works for Honda engine design and explains it, I will just stick with the results I feel and experience. I don't think anyone else knows conclusively and positively.

Conclusion: All I know for sure is what I have experienced. I suspect premium is causing "late" combustion firing due to a higher octane thus losing power in the combustion cycle somehow. Throw in the mix valve overlap, VTEC, and an ECU that is whatever it is and MY bikes have never run good on premium. So, all I've stated is fact FOR ME and there you have it. The only "problem" it has caused me is a rough running bike with much less power. If 91 works better for you, use it. I will stick to 87 octane non-welfare gasoline. Long speculative answer to a short question...:topsy_turvy:

12. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Enjoy the riding!! Post up some photos!

We in the land of oz with be having another perfect weather week too...starting on Saturday.

Gotta love it up while it's here!
    Now if I could find some non-ethanol here.

13. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Well, let me just tell ya, young Dorothy in oz, I will be on a red (the fast color) 8th gen. with GASOLINE in it this coming Saturday as the weather is forecast to be of perfection yet again!! It's fall in the Appalachian and Cumberland curvy roads!! As for posting pics, that's like asking me to remember all the calculus I took in college! I may just try it though since it's time to learn to post here. Last time I stopped on a quiet road to take a pic, a rather creepy couple stopped and offered to sell me some crank. I said my stash was pretty good right now but thanks anyway then got the heck outta there, LOL!!! True story.....:triumphant:

14. A.M

Oh gee...I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets creeped on around this joint!

I can't wait to ride through fall in the mountains there. Imma go ride, but weekend is only 48 hours and I will hardly be able to get to a neighboring state.

Maybe I need a red one...shift up and up with some ruby slippers until I'm home in some scenery!

Have fun!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

15. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I slept on it and decided to accept your challenge. I will take some pics and get them up one way or another. RED slippers should up your speed or power by the same factor as red fairings. Personally, I don't wear them.....:eek:nthego: Eighty degrees for the high....that alone makes me high, LOL!

16. 2Wheel Drift

2Wheel Drift New Member

United States
    Map
    Here is how you find real gas. Go to buyrealgas.com. There is a station in Wichita. It did not list my city but my neighbors with power toys knew where it was at. Enjoy fueling around!!

17. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    OK, a few pics from today. Some are from a fire tower I climbed. My old 5th gen. is included. It was a perfect weather riding day. I came home sweat free not smelling like a thousand camels asses. The ride was 279 miles of 90% mountain twisties. Oh so fun! I used gluten free, non-carbohydrate, GASOLINE and the 8th gen. ran like a banshee. It finally did what I call "settling in". It's power output took a giant leap. My 5th did this at 6K miles, my now 8th gen. at 6K miles and it took my 6th gen. 16K miles to settle in. Something happens to them where they just find their identity and power output leaps rather dramatically from that point on. Like I said, it happened to the 8th gen. today. The oinkers are from a ride a few years ago. They were very friendly and totally honest. ; )

Yea, I figured out how to post some pics!!!!

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

5th gen.

GapMar08 012.jpg

Oinkers

Feb102008 011.jpg

18. A.M

Love you threw in the oinkers...honest oinkers? Prove it...Lolzzz

I really needed to see some great ride photos. I came down with high fever last night, so no out of state riding as I was planning.

Sweet to hear yours finally settled in! I'm not sure when mine settled in. Prolly at 16K miles too when I was riding through 6 hours of freezing rain, so I couldn't really tell. Haha

Where was the photo taken of you on the moto? I have some similar of me at Deals on my F4.

Imma have to hit up some gluten free station.

19. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    The 5th gen. pic was taken at The Gap. I know the oinkers were honest because all they said was "oink". No lies or political smack from them, LOL!

Hope you getting to feeling better, OAM. Fever is a real bummer!

20. A.M

Check it, DA...at the new QT in town East of Wichita! Surely the new trusty QTs in Wichita have it too.
    [​IMG]