transmision / chain slapping

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by paul t, Oct 19, 2016.

1. paul t

paul t New Member

Hi i have a 2003 vtec some time ago i noticed a clicking sound /feeling when rolling bike backwards , as the bike had done 25k miles i replaced both sprockets and chain with an aftermarket version , i was not happy with this as the drive sprocket was noticeable thinner so brought an oem pair and fitted both also replaced the chain as well (second one ) as my thoughts were if the sprockets were crap so could the chain i have now new sprockets and chain but the noise persists
    chain free play is bang on the spec,
    the original chain and sprocket's once removed looked like new ( scott oiler fitted from new)
    when the bike is on the centre stand the chain slaps viantly in allgears but as the revs buld the slapping stops
    i have tried applying the rear brake when in gear but this appears to make the slapping worse
    the chain does not have any tight links and the free play only varies slightly when the wheel is rotated and checked.
    the suspension bushes in the swing arm are all good with no free play
    the drive sprocket only has minimal free play on the drive crank (as recommended) but no linear play.
    when the bike is in gear and engine not running there appears to be a lot of backlash in the gearbox
    the chain guide has been changed even though i could not detect any ware with the old one
    I am the only person who has ridden the bike and i am a bit of a steady eddie and have not thrashed the bike or ridden it hard
    oil and filters always changed on time and she has been cared for better than the wife!!!!
    so would appreciate any advice on what could be causing this as you can also feel a vibration through the bike when ridding which i assume is all related to the chain slapping / transmision back lash :confusion:

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Oh wow, so hard to tell from this sidee side of the planet, can't hear a thing from here, JK how much slack is in your chain mid way? you should have around maybe at the most 1" or 25mm mid way on the chain, IDK . There is a built in amount of gear play, so don't believe it's that. Really hard to say, you might take it to a dealer or shop that knows a thing or two, chains are not VFR specific, so it shouldn't be difficult to find one that could aid in this, it's one of those things that needs to be felt and seen and heard to be able to give much advice that would point to one thing vs. another. just saying.

3. baz263

baz263 New Member

Not sure you'll want to hear my experience of this, but here goes. I have seen the symptoms exactly as you described. 1998 VFR. We were at a track day, at the now non existent Oran Park on the out skirts of Sydney. A friend on his VFR came in from the first session with a very loose chain, and all of the symptoms you have described. Unfortunately it was a gearbox problem. He never found out exactly what the problem was as he did a motor swap. Hopefully your bike has a different problem.

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

4. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    I know the symptoms you are referring to. Mine has done this same thing since I got with 14,000 miles. Now have over 40,000 miles and multiple chains/sprockets and still does it. I have been following several other post from others doing the same thing but unfortunately no one ever finds a solution. Most suggest it's something with the chains but I seriously doubt that. Others suggest the cct's- I wouldn't think loose can chain would cause the rear end to be so jerky. Someone suggested it's just the irregular firing order of the engine - but in that case everyones bike should be doung this. Sorry I couldn't be much help. Guess I'll keep riding till something fails then maybe I'll figure out what it is (if it doesn't kill me) because I really don't feel like tearing into this transmission on this thing!

5. paul t

paul t New Member

i have now stripped back the bike to reveal the chain and sprockets .
    on rechecking the tension i found a couple of places the chain was tighter than others.so gave the chain a good clean with a degreaser and tooth brush .
    i removed the drive sprocket cleaned up the splines and re lubed the spines, cleaned and lubbed everything then reassembled, hay presto the noise has reduced greatly and the slap of the chain almost gone, what i have found is the chain rubs on the right of the front sprocket and rubs the rear spocket on the left indicating the swing arm is slightly out of alignment. the shock link plates look slightly out of align as well.
    has any one had issues with aligning the swing arm.