LeFossi stainless braided steel brake lines

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by DeeBee, Oct 19, 2016.

1. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Bought these lines for my bike , didn't take the time to measure properly. Ordered a 450mm (to master) and 2x 390mm (to calipers). Turns out not only did I get it backwards as I meant to order 2 450mm for the calipers, but the one 450mm I did get was too short to make the run to the calipers with the long forks of the '84 with bits 16" front tire.
    The 390mm line however fit nicely from the master cylinder to the splitter. It had the correct shallow bend on the ends and was the correct length. I did need to twist the line slightly to get the rotation correct. I have had the line on fora couple weeks now and it (along with fresh fluid) helped brake lever feel a good bit, but made me want new rotors and high grade brake pads.

Anyhow the good news is that the lines were shipped from China and it is cost prohibitive to send them back. So I have decided to donate them to the community. Any active member that wants one can pm me and I will send out whichever one you would like. I may ask you to split shipping if shipping out of CONUS. Then again I might be feeling generous. The only thing I ask is that the recipient be an active member of VFRWorld ,or at least have an active member who will vouch for you.
    I say this only because I want these to go to an actual member here, not just a passerby that signed up to score a freebie.

I make no guarantees , the lines seem to be quality and I ordered the same brand from the same vendor for the longer replacement lines.

IMAG0218.jpg
    IMAG0219.jpg

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    U da man. I am just a flyer by so I am out. Besides, wrong gen.

I do think I will invest in braided lines at the next brake pad change though. New rotors next time as well. These I have now are original equipment and there is over 200,000 km on the so if for no other reason than feeling of comfort, time for new rotors and lines.

3. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Randy you are not just a passer by you were a member here before I. Not sure what length your bike takes but you can measure. As long as the ends of your stock line are straight or have a slight 11° or 22° you should be fine.
    Anyhow if 39cm or 45cm will work for you I would be happy to send you one.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

With over 10,000 post?! The only person with more post than you is BB and you sir are no troll! :nod:

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Randys post may be short but whether his rotors are warped is another subject.

6. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I appreciate that. But I am not ready for this. I replaced the pads front and back in prep for R3 2014. Haven't put too many "braking" miles on it since that time. At least, not as many as I used to. Also have to consider the costs of other items involved here. I am on fixed income you understand. Also, I am considering some bling with the braided lines. Maybe red or gold. Haven't set my mind on that yet. Hopefully someone is in a position to take you up on this great offer.

BTW, I have a stock seat ready for anyone who wants to pay the shipping.

7. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map

Thanks. My silly attempt at humour. 10,000 posts! Wonder if I have a shallow life?

8. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

No problem, I am sure someone can use them. Sorry I didn't catch the sarcasm I didn't realize how many thousand hours you have logged here lol. Pretty dam funny tho'.
    Turns out I have a taker.
    When I was big into flying r/c helis one of the privately modded forums had a freebie section, it worked well until the sight got about triple it's normal members auto added from other sights and it kinda got out of hand. But I always loved the notion of passing around small and brand /model specific parts that were collecting dust .

Peace

9. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

The short sized lines are finally on their way to a new home.
    The 55cm/21.65" lines arrived and include a small barrel for the guides on the forks and a spring for the longer end above the guide. These braided steel lines made a super noticeable difference in brake lever feel. The brakes start working soo early in to stroke that I feel like I need to bend my lever toward the bars or get an adjustable lever.

Either way these lines are working great. I am glad I went ahead and got them despite how inexpensive they were.

Ebah link:
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/39cm-150cm-Motorcycle-Brake-Oil-Hose-Line-Banjo-Fitting-Stainless-Steel-Braided-/252248881504?nav=SEARCH

My phone is too dead to get a pic but I will add some later.
    14777944583102121035514.jpg
    14777945343301236733905.jpg

I also cleaned all my rotors and pads with brake cleaner. Still gotta put in a left side crank seal and replace the rear pads (with sintered pads). they have had too much oil flung on them to clean up ,as I have cleaned them twice now since I got the bike and still I have to all but stand on the rear pedal to lock the rear wheel unless I have the front brake pulled tightvand on the verge of sliding, then of course the back wheel gets light and can lock easier.

Still can't believe this up grade cost me less than $50 counting a bottle of dot-4 , crush washers and mis ordered lines.

I guess sometimes patience pays (15-20 day shipping time)

Later DB

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  10. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I discovered a good tip for cleaning your bobbins on brake pads you should also do. Search "cleaning bobbins" In the search engine here and you shod Fi x the thread.

11. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
  12. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Thanks for the link , no shuddering or warped rotors to speak of. Although they are no doubt frozen ,I didn't even realise they were floaters.

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Neither did I but it does make sense now. I go through this exercise a couple time a year not for all the effort it takes. Preventative Maintenance if you will. I use a drill and socket to simplify things though. I wouldn't want to spin that thing to fast or too long though.

There are a few issues discussed regarding the lubricating of the bobbins in that thread which may be of interest. I am of the view that they should not be lubed but left dry.