VF500F was knocked over and now won't start.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Hellapet, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    One mystery solved, onto the next. Earlier this week my bike was backed into by a car and knocked over. The person was nice enough to stand it back up, but they then fled the scene, so technically this was a hit and run. :rolleyes: Anyway, the bike landed on the right bar and luckily there was no damage to the tank or fender, but the throttle was jammed with dirt and wont turn freely anymore. Any idea how to remove the cables so I can take it apart and clean it?? I can't seem to get them off. Secondly, the bike no longer starts, or even cranks. When I put the key in everything lights up fine, but when I turn the key, nothing. The headlight goes out, and oddly the dash gets a hair brighter. The hot line to the starter doesn't get warm no matter how long I hold the starter for it seems. Any idea what's going on in there? I checked the fuses on top of the triple clamp. The ignition was just cleaned and hit with dielectric grease a few weeks ago. This bike doesn't seem to have a kickstand sensor and it's always been in neutral when starting anyway. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Sounds like switch assembly got damaged or jammed. Got to get under your tank and loosen the the throttle cables at the carbs to get the cables off the twist assembly.

3. NormK

NormK New Member

Stupid question I know but did the kill get knocked. Headlight is probably meant to go out when you push the start button and this will allow more power to the dash lights. The next thing is to jump the solonoid to see if that cranks it, but make sure it is out of gear and on the center stand

4. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    Not a stupid question, it was switched to "Run" so it's not that. I'm gonna try jumping the solenoid I guess. There are two bike repair places within pushing-it distance but I would really like to get to the bottom of this myself. Thanks for the help guys, I just don't get why it seems to do everything but crank. It doesn't even make starter solenoid clicking noises.

5. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Did the acid leak out of the battery when it was on is side? No electrolyte and the battery won't be able to crank the engine.

6. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    I haven't looked but I will! Would be really convenient if this was the problem... So it's probably not xD

7. MFTIC

MFTIC New Member

United States
    Sounds like you are on your way. I'd start with the throttle tube. It's a real PITA taking it off. Just go slow. I only had to loosen one of the cables on the carb. Pretty sure It was the return cable i did NOT touch.
    *hopefully you got the bike home? Wouldn't want to do repairs like this outside.

8. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    It happened on the cobblestone street outside my house.

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Dang gum people--- hope you have luck with repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. NormK

NormK New Member

Don't waste your time taking to a bike shop, they are not interested in old stuff

11. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    A always, start with the easy stuff and work up to the harder stuff, as needed. Just because your "Kill" switch is in the "Run" position doesn't mean it didn't get buggered when it fell over. Check it. For sure.
    Also check the starter button. Take the assembly off of the RHS bar and check that all is well in there. If the throttle is jammed, likely something happened in there as well.
    What do you mean "When I put the key in everything lights up fine."? When I put the key in my bike nothing happens or lights up until I turn the key into the "ON" position. The headlight then comes on, until I press the "START" button. There is more than one location for fuses, is there not? Is the "MAIN" fuse under the triple clamp cover? Main fuse could've blown. When you verify that ALL fuses are good, you'll need a multimeter to trace the path of power.
    Have you gotten yourself a Service Manual, either a paper copy or a "Cyber" copy? Take a look at the wiring in the area. Sounds like your tip over did something. I bet it;ll be a cheap fix. Maybe not easy to find, but cheap, if you do it yourself.

12. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok guys, mystery solved. The battery, when it was knocked over, leaked acid into the terminal of the starter solenoid. All I had to do was clean out the terminal and the bike started right up. I took off the throttle, cleaned it and re-greased it and now it works better than ever. Thanks for all the help folks!

13. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Glad you figured it out! I would make a solution baking soda and water and brush over everything, then rinse. Battery acid is brutal, even after a week or two.

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Good for you Hellapet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk