Pirelli Angel ST & GT

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Very Few Regrets, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Very Few Regrets

Very Few Regrets New Member

I'm planning a long trip in my Gen 4 Viffer (2000+ klms) and I'm looking at tyre options.
    This is a one-way deal, Melbourne to Brisbane, then permanently staying in Bris. Thing is, I've only had this bike a short time and the bike shop I bought it off fitted a Dunlop GP3 street legal track tyre to the front to make it legal on the road. Hasn't been a problem around town, but I'm not too keen to put 2000 klms on it on the highway. As I'm doing this trip on a limited budget I'm looking to replace the front tyre only, the rear Pirelli Angel ST is fine as it is.
    The question I have is about mixing and matching front and rear tyres. I know the best setup is matched rubber, but can anyone tell me if there's a problem with fitting a new Angel GT to the front instead of matching the rear ST? The GTs are supposed give better mileage, and 2000 highway klms is going to be tough on the centre tread. I just want to be sure I'm not setting this bike up to be a handling nightmare. Any input's very much appreciated. Cheers! :smile-new:

2. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    I ran a brand new rear Angel GT this summer, paired with a 3 year old Angel ST on the front ... No issues whatsoever. Replacing the front with a GT in the off season.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Can't really go wrong with either one, plus, I'll add a corsa diablo for you to think about as well.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I've done the mix and max with Michelin Pilot Road rear with Pilot Power 3 front and no issues what so ever. I'm actually on my 4th set of this combo. Both the Angel ST and GT have a good reputation among VFR riders so I don't think you can go wrong either way. For peace of mind, maybe just match the rear tire with the same model, this way you know it's not an issue and not in the back of your mind. Personally I prefer a more sporty front tire, hence my PP3 choice.

5. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Should be fine, but keep in mind if you are going on a long trip with Pirellis that they have a steel belt. If you get a flat and use a plugging kit, rasp the living s&(t out of the hole. I mean seriously, keep rasping the puncture as long as your hands hold out. The problem I had (that I didn't have with Dunlops) is that the steel belt shears the plug in half. I *think* you can make it work with Pirellis with enough rasping, and of course hopefully you won't get a flat at all! Enjoy your trip!

6. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Same here. I am cheap and ride on what comes with my bikes until they are worn out. I have been riding mixed set for years with no problems.

7. Very Few Regrets

Very Few Regrets New Member

Thanks for that info, guys.. much appreciated. Only reason I'm not putting an Angel ST on the front for the trip is the mileage issue. 2,000 klms is a bit of a trip on a pure sports tyre, figured the GT would probably handle the straight line drone a little better and not leave me with a massive flat centre on the tyre. Of course, having said that, the rear ST will probably suffer that fate anyway. Cheers for the advice and well wishes !

8. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe you're not aware...the ST is a Sport Touring tire, the GT is the new replacement for the ST (like going from a Michelin PR2 to a PR3). The biggest difference is that the ST rear was a single compound and the GT rear is now a dual compound. Fronts in both models are single compound.
    If you can find a front Angel ST, get one, as it will likely be cheaper than the GT. Then, later on, when the rear is shot, replace both with the GT.

9. camaroguy72

camaroguy72 New Member

Map
    Had the Pirelli Angel GT's on my hayabusa... did about 1500 miles (2400km) in a weekend with plenty of highway and twisties. Tires still looked just perfect when I got home.

I currently have Pilot Road 4's on my bike, I put 5k miles on a tire that looked like it was needing replacement but didn't actually need it until the 5k miles. All very good tires.