New owner California speedometer question

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by mccookers, Oct 23, 2016.

1. mccookers

mccookers New Member

Hello everyone. My name is Mike W. I am having my VFR1200 shipped this week, to my door.

Very excited and nervous. Fingers crossed. Anyway I am in a bit of a pickle. The 2010 model has only 3300 miles, in order to register my bike here in CALI the odometer must read over 7500 miles. This is done to protect CA dealers and save the planet from evil 49 state bikes (which may or may not have emissions CA compliant)

Does anybody out there have a speedometer cluster for sale or rent? I need to temporarily swap units for CA DMV inspection. It's either that or I ride (on the down-low) until she ticks past 7500.

Otherwise I look forward to hanging out in this site, in order to get up to speed etc.

Thanks for any help you are able to give me.

Sincerely Mike W.

ps. My other bikes are a 02' Hayabusa, 2005 Ducati 999S and a 2005 Honda Rune.

Cheers :)

2. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    Hmm, you have 10 days to register it, so 420 miles a day gets you all over our great (in terms of motorcycle riding) state.

The only question I see here is do you you have any vacation time?

JK. Welcome aboard. Pics upon delivery.

I don't know if all 1200s were CA legal, but they may check the label on the frame even after 7500 miles. I bought a tdi from Connecticut, and that's the only thing they looked for at the DMV besides the title. Let us know how it goes.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You could have shipped it here and I could have ridden it down to you which would have given you another 1000 miles. Or I could have wandered in my way down and delivered a bike totally meeting your mileage needs.

4. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    I think the 49 state models went away quite a few years ago. Every model meets all state regs for emissions these days. So if the bike is emissions legal in Cal does it still need 7500 miles on the clock?

5. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't think they make CA specific bikes anymore. It should be a 50 state bike, so the 7500 miles thing doesn't apply. Although I could be wrong on that.

If it is a 50 state bike, the CARB sticker is usually on the air box so practice the dismantle at home, find your CARB sticker and bring tools to your inspection. I bought a bike out of state once, the parking lot of the DMV looked like a garage floor by the time all the inspection was done. Gas tank was off, side fairings were off and the tail fairings had to come off just to check all of the stickers, VIN, and the engine serial number.

As for the speedo swap, I think they're locked to the ECU now so you'd need both - I could be wrong on that too. Plus that would be... ehem,*cough*cough* dishonest....

6. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    According to Honda's website the 2012 VFR1200 "Meets current California Air Resources Board (CARB) and EPA standards".

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  8. mccookers

mccookers New Member

Copied and pasted from above
    Caution: Unless the vehicle was originally manufactured to meet California emission standards or the owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption, California law prohibits:

California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle that had less than 7,500 miles on the odometer (at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition).
    Anyone from importing a new direct import vehicle less than two years old.

I have also read somewhere that CAN models sport a revised cam shafts. FWIW

9. mccookers

mccookers New Member

Hello guys. I just wanted to give the update in regards to the "speedo" issue. I have purchased a used model from Poland Ebay.... right? wish me luck.

I am gambling that the mileage from the odometer is stored in the speedo display and not the ECU.

I can't wait to reflash with the guhl.

Later hosers.

10. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I bought my 2005 in Vegas, though I live in California. The bike had 6600 miles on it, which was reflected in the bill of sale. The lady working at the dmv didn't care. She registered it anyway. Although it is a 50 state bike, so maybe that's why.

11. mccookers

mccookers New Member

That sounds like you must have been laying on the charm or something, maybe you resemble Brad Pitt, I don't know. But if all else fails, I have nothing to lose by trying. I will use your plan and call it "plan B"

12. JZH

JZH New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    According to Ron Ayers and Partzilla, all 2010 VFR1200s were "California Models", so they should already have CA-compliant emissions labels, and the 7,500mi restriction should not apply. Normally, or at least previously, Honda sold two different models of each bike in the USA, and these were called "A" and "AC" and had different VIN series (containing "1" and "0") for the California and 49-state models, respectively. Honda started selling single versions in the USA around 2004, but only for certain models. The DMV (or AAA, last time I imported a bike into California) will look for the label, in addition to the VIN and engine serial numbers.

Ciao,

13. RhINO

RhINO New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Seriosly, I thought Sweden had some fu**ed up rules and regulations.

14. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Laws, laws, laws. I think Trump has the right idea. For every new "regulation", get rid of two. I hope he can pull it off but have my doubts. Government reminds me of a cancer spreading. It's ultimately fatal. When are they going to tell us when we can piss???

Oh, concerning your bike, remember, their main motivation is to get your money. Since they're corrupt, cash always works better.

So there's my cynicism for today. i need a bike ride. ; )

MarkinReno likes this.
  15. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Don't waist your money OP
    All DMV need is the Emission sticker showing the bike is comply to California.
    I have bought bike all over the State and register thru AAA without any issue.
    Look under your seat there is a sticker similar to this. If it said California comply then you are good to go.

Emssion sticker.jpg

16. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome cookers. I can bring it up to CA compliance in less than two weeks, Just let me ride it to Yellowstone and couple other states and by the time I get back you'll have zero issues with that.
    Enjoy the ride man. Ride it without mercy.

17. mccookers

mccookers New Member

Good day fellas. I just wanted to wrap this thread up, by saying that, "it all worked out, bought a used speedo with 8K+ and did the swap (not easy) and presto magic, I have a CA compliant machine.

I love this bike and now I ride it as much as possible. Guhl mod is sometime in the near future.

Good luck to all you lucky 1200 owners.

Mike W.

18. mcenthusiast

mcenthusiast New Member

United States
    Map
    Mike-- Switching speedo's was unnecessary. The VFR1200's were all state bikes. I reside in California. I purchased my 2012 VFR1200 new form a dealership in Colorado. Had it shipped to California. It had 200 miles on it when I regestered it at DMV. As it had a decal under the saddle that indicated it met California emission standards.

19. mccookers

mccookers New Member

It all depends on the DMV in your area, mine suck. I will look for the sticker though, I now have two speedo's, just to avoid the hassle.