Yo d

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by duccmann, Oct 24, 2016.

1. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Can't wait for you to post up the vids from yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Transferring files off the SD cards to the computer as I type this, then off to the editing software, but that'll be tomorrow. I'm bummed because for the first few session I forgot that the GoPro camera has to be turned on, where as the rear Innov camera turns on/off automatically with the ignition. So I didn't get the first three session or my fastest lap time with the front camera.

Fastest time I did yesterday was 1:55.882. This was the last lap of the third session. After that just practicing my body posture, braking points and trying different lines. I was in level 2 which would be about average for that group. Where as level 3 the times would be mid 1:30's to 1:40's.

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    ??? Were you at the track? Which one?

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yep, Fontana.

5. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Cool! That looks like a fun track.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Different than I thought but definitely a fun track. At least 3 decent straights for top speed runs. The longest/fastest being home stretch where I topped it out at 135MPH (speedometer indicated) Probably could have pushed a little more but was having fun just getting to go that fast without worrying about road hazards and John Q Law! I'll be busy today so video might not be ready until much later this evening.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

OK Duccmann, here's a video for you.

[video=youtube_share;ChJl3pY_ifs]http://youtu.be/ChJl3pY_ifs[/video]

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Looks like the fastest way around the big carousel is to double apex it. Fun track.

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I had a good time. Just like for Chuckwalla, this was my first time at this track, so I wasn't pushing too hard. I know that I could definitely improve my lap time though. There were a few of places where I saw I know I could improve. Mostly the chicane where the grass is (turns 3-4), the right hander before the back straight (turn 9) and the front chicane after the long straight (turns 1-2). There are probably a few other places where slight improvement could be made but these were the ones I felt I could do much better.

Hopefully I'll get to go back here or Chuckwalla sooner, rather than later. My friend that I went with wants to do an overnighter at Willow Springs next year, so for sure I'm doing that one. Willow was my first track and where I did the California Super Bike School a couple of decades ago! So it would be cool to get back there.

One of the guys that shared our garage with was a racer who came from Florida (Doug Purusee sp?), he was in Level 2 but was running Level three lap times. He got down to 1:40.896. What was funny and what was edited out of the video, as I was coming off of the track, one of the track workers stopped me and said that they wanted to bump me up to Level 3! I said "Are you kidding? I think you have me confused with Doug!"

He asked if I was comfortable where I was and I told him yes and if they put in Level 3 I'd get run over! He just said they would monitor me and if I improved they would bump me up. For sure they had the wrong guy but I was flattered none the less.

10. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I remember the first time they bumped me up to A group, I was not sure about it but they said just hold the lines your running and the faster guys will pass with no problem. And that was true, plus I actually felr safer even though I was running faster. The guys in A are a LOT more predictable than intermediate groups. And that is the reason there are more crashes in Intermediate than any other class.

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Very enjoyable with my first cup of coffee.
    Thanks buddy--- looks like you had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I agree that the Level 3 guys are much better at getting around the slower guys and usually have the least amount of incidents, however being my first time at this track and being at least 15 seconds slower than the Level 3 guys, I felt more comfortable where I was at. My friend said that if you can get down to the upper 1:40's then Level 3 is where you should be. Maybe next time I can look at just improving my lap times vice just getting familiar and just enjoying being on the track.

Fortunately this time, there was only one guy who ran off the track. Came into turn 6 too hot I believe. He was in, wait for it...in Level 2. LOL

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Nice, you did good. Thanks for sharing. Ever been on Laguna?

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    OOTV, ever think of getting a sport bike for the track?

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Duccmann and I got to do a parade lap at Laguna Seca when we attended the WSBK race but not at track day speeds. It's on my bucket list to do a track day there.

16. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The same goes for racing. Running with the big boys is much safer.

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Were you two the guys who were sans ATGATT and everything else but boots a couple of years ago?

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I thought about it but since I am limited on garage space and the number of bikes the wife is comfortable with me having, I chose the 01 as my track day/canyon bike. Since I still ride the local canyons of So Cal, to me it's the best compromise, I get the sportiness I like but the comfort for all day riding. If I had my way, I would have at least two more bikes, a dual sport of some type and a true track bike, would love to have an RVF1000 (Are you listening Honda?!) or maybe an Aprillia RSV4.

The 6 Gen is my commuter/tourer, I use it for work mostly and the occasional sport touring ride and my Duc is just my "first love" so I hang on to it and would have a hard time thinking about trading her in for something new. Although that being said, I may look at the new Ducati SS!

The other option is getting a track bike and storing it at Scubalong's house, he's only 5 minutes away! Of course, this would lead to yet another bike and possibly another and so on and so on...:wink:

19. OOTV

OOTV Insider

LOL! No, not us, we rode with proper gear as we rode to the track with the proper gear on.

20. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map