Duplicate key question

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by mccookers, Dec 2, 2016.

1. mccookers

mccookers New Member

So I did a search and zippo, nothing. I am the very proud owner of the 2010 VFR1200 DCT. I received the bike with only one key. I always have a spare for all my stuff (not unusual right) So I have a 2005 Rune with the HISS system. I lost a key a while ago and found out that you need a special tool with a resistor, blah, blah, blah.

My question is, Does the 2010 VFR1200 run the same anti-theft key (HISS)? I have ordered two blank keys and will have them cut down the street. I am unsure if they will start the bike or if I have to train the keys with the "Honda" HISS tool.

Thank you cousins. Catch you later.

Mike W.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Not a clue about a "chipped" key for your 1200. In some states, it's mandatory to have ownership documents to present to the locksmith or key service when having vehicle keys duplicated. I would think a call to the same service would answer your main question.

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Mike

A good locksmith will be able to duplicate the "physical" characteristics of your HISS key - so it should release physical lock elements such as the steering lock, the fuel cap and seat lock etc - but the ignition system will not fire up without the ECU also receiving signals from a matched HISS chip - which is embedded somewhere inside the key.

If you were unfortunate to loose the final key before getting another one made and coded, then you enter a whole world of pain - as Mr H will be happy to charge you many bucks to replace the Keys, ECU and HISS system and then match them together, so you can ride your bike again. For a 6th Gen this work typically runs to over £1,000 and I doubt a 7th Gen will be any cheaper! Inherently the extortionate cost to get a bike ride-able is precisely why HISS fitted motorbikes are largely ignored by thieves except to break for parts.

So yes, any additional keys will also need HISS coding, and it is probably a good idea to do this asap. Whilst they are coding things it is probably also a good idea to get whoever does the coding to "revoke" the lost key from the ECU permissions list - just in case...

Given the potential costs this video may be worth reviewing but do note the RISKS especially if things get shorted! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db0ee6u7CjQ

Good luck

SkiMad

4. MarkinReno

MarkinReno New Member

United States
    Map
    My 2013 uses standard keys.

The Honda OEM key costs 40 bucks. Knock-offs are 5 bucks. No chip.

5. Badbilly

United States

6. Badbilly

United States
    Big box stores have mostly key blanks for padlocks, doorlocks ect. A full service locksmith is more likely to have automotive type blanks for a hell of a lot fewer pesos than OEM unless showing the Honda logo every time ya dig oot a key is important. ;)

Leaving the key in the bike although no on here ever does that, invites thieves and they do not give a shit if the bike only has one key..

This information is not 100% correct. I have left oot what harleydood do.

7. 3dcycle

3dcycle New Member

United States
    Map
    when did HISS come state side? I can make a copy of my 6 gen keys for $15.

8. Badbilly

United States
    This may be another case of trying to help but not knowing that bikes piled into that sillyass generation thing is worthless when it comes motorcycles that are sold worldwide. Keys included.

I got a deal on keys for all three of my bikes from a locksmith. I had a total of nine keys made and he cut me a deal.

9. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Aggh - I have just looked again at Mike's original post and it seems I misunderstood his question.

Mike - If all you want to know is if your bike has a HISS coded key? Its very easy to check - just look at the ignition barrel surround. The word HISS will appear on the surround if the bike has the system fitted. Obviously if that is all you wanted to check, then pretty much all my earlier post is irrelevant. However the linked video does show a close up of the key barrel on a VFR which has the word HISS clearly written on the surround. So if nothing else it will help you know what you are looking for.

I guess if theft is less of an issue stateside, then Mr H would have been very keen to save some $$$ by not fitting HISS to US spec models.

SkiMad

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Nice save there Skimad. This should help OP getting the answer to what he was asking. You are always the source of sound technical information. I appreciate that.

11. Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy

Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I used this you tube video to programme spare keys to my 6gen, I didn't have a spare crankshaft sensor plug so I used 2 small insulated female spade adaptors in place of the small crocodile clips the guy suggested. I used crocodile clips for the battery end of the cable though, all worked a treat, now 3 keys for my bike.

D.E.D.

12. mccookers

mccookers New Member

Thanks Ski, I will check it out.

13. mccookers

mccookers New Member

Key work no immobilzier

Hey guys. I went to the bezel?, the barrel surround and checked to find out that I do not have the HISS chip. I had my blanks ready to go and had them cut and tried them out with success, she fired up! Saved some money too $$$.

I have the saddle bags (still in the box). It just dawned on me that now, I ride a "Bagger" ha ha ha. (three ha's) I am holding off until I need them. I washed and waxed the fairing etc. This is a good looking bike "me thinks" I like the fact that like the Busa, you either like it or not.

Thanks guys. I am digging this web site.