5th Gen Best Mod$: "Actually Readily Obtainable and Available"

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Cat2Rider, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States
    PURPOSE and topic matter of this thread is to discuss and debate the "value, use and purpose" what accessories, parts, mods and services that are "actually readily available and obtainable" to "increase, improve or sustain enduring value to a 5th Gen VFR. (Cost versus value and/ or benefit matters).

Introduction: I started tuning German mopeds (we lived in Switzerland) when I was 14 years old. Me and my brother had mopeds and we always tried to outdo one another. I learned how to totally disassemble and reassemble mopeds in order to keep them running their very best and as fast as possible. Basically when a German moped left a factory it only went 60 kph or 36 mph. We found out what really would make the moped go faster without spending very much money, it was more about our tuning skills and then we would go out and prove it "on the road". The mopeds were are main means of transportation and in Switzerland you would get a speeding ticket (and lose your moped) if you got caught going over 60 kph. So this meant you had to make sure any mod was not highly recognizable. Eventually when I got older I started buying motorcycles and doing the same thing. Unfortunately my brother passed away when I was in my 20's, but I still remember our early moped tuning days and try to follow our same principles. I have bought and sold many motorcycles over the decades and my favorite bike was a 1978 MV Agusta SS America because it had gear driven overhead cams. These are the two main reasons I recently purchased a low mileage 2001 VFR 800 FI, it was in perfect condition and I paid $3000 for it and have spent another $5000 in parts and accessories and getting it to run as best as possible. What I will attempt to do with this thread is to backtrack over everything that was done and share with the forum readers in order to get feedback, opinions and point of views. Keep in mind the thread is about products and services that are actually readily obtainable and available. All the items I will be showing were either obtained on eBay or directly from online websites around the world.

REPLY PRE-QUALIFICATION REQUEST to "IDENTIFY YOURSELF" TO THIS THREAD BY DESCRIBING LEVEL OF COMMITMENT AS FOLLOWS:

For Example OP is a " CHARLIE: $3000- CAT 2 Rider (with $1000- of CAT 3 Mods)

CATAGORIES of MODS:

CAT1: Essential user installed part, accessory or service that absolutely must be done for the 5th Gen VFR potential to be fully realized.

CAT2: Factory Power Unleashed, these are typically user installed, bolt-on, plug-n-play type of mods (or removals) that release available "factory power" without affecting long-term reliability.

CAT3: General Apperance, these are mods that are user installed (that do not belong to CAT1 or CAT2) for pure pleasure and pride for the sake of appearance with some beneficial level of functionality.

TYPES of OWNER:

TYPE A - "ALPHA": Enjoys the 5th VFR but are not totally convinced it's a life long keeper.

TYPE B - "BRAVO": Convinced the 5th Gen VFR is one of the best motorcycles ever made but not to the point where you would spend $1000's to make it even better (because its market value has a ceiling.)

TYPE C - "CHARLIE": Totally convinced the 5th Gen is the best motorcycle and willing to spend $1000's (got plenty of skin in the game) because you plan to keep it and enjoy forever.

TYPE R - "RAMBO": Extreme and to the maximum possible limit, regardless of cost or efforts, money is no object.

OWNERSHIP MODES:

MODE S - "SHOPPER": Has a list of possible "bikes of interest" but not have yet not purchased.

MODE R - "RIDER" : Have actually purchased (sole ) 5th Gen VFR bike and riding on a regular (daily rider) basis.

MODE C - "COLLECTOR" : Have actually purchased a 5th Gen bike, but its part of a collection and not necessarily the daily rider. You may even consider selling, if got your asking price or was overwhelmed but an "over-riding" situation.

THREAD APPROVED 5th GEN VENDOR CRITERIA SCORING (AS FOLLOWS:

10 points - Currently Provides 5th Gen Products
    10 points - Ability to directly timely communicate
    10 points - Ability to real time contact and converse
    10 points - High Quality Material
    10 points - Not totally manufactured in China
    10 points - Exceeds or Meets Honda OEM Standards
    10 points - Current Ongoing and Future Production
    10 points - Direct Consumer Sales
    10 points - 2 Year Replacement Policy
    10 points - Unique Product Or Service

TIER ONE : 100-90 points (THREAD RANKINGS) APPROVED 5th Gen Vendor List:
    1) Honda Motorcycles
    2) Power Commander
    3) DMr Performance
    4) Thurn Motosports
    5) Black Widow Performance Exhausts
    6) K&N Filters
    7) Pipercross Filters
    8) Mike Corbin Seats
    9) RDMOTO

TIER TWO
    1) Staintune Performance Exhausts

ACTUAL BUY LIST:

$ Spent- VENDOR (Country)
    1. $400- Corbin Seat (USA)
    2. $150- Euro ECU (Germany)
    3. $ 20- Air Box 2nd Snorkel (USA)
    4. $ 60- Air Filters (USA /UK)
    5. $500- Staintune (Australia)
    6. $350- SS Headers (UK)
    7. $300-Power Commander (USA)
    8. $ 20- O2 Sensor Eliminator (USA)
    9. $400- Custom Dyno Fuel Map (USA)
    10.$1100-DMr Suspension (USA)
    11. $200- RDMOTO (Czech)
    12. $500- Thurn Moto (Germany)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Awe. and welcome to the wacky world of VFR lovers. Nice first post. that said so very interesting, a new spin here that sorta sounds familiar. Look forward to what's to come just in case I missed something. I never count all my chickens, but pretty sure I've got 99% covered less some unattainable xgas flowing tubing. But I'm working out a cure for that one. So lets see now what comes of this.

3. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    Good timing.
    I was debating starting a thread, something like: "What Farkles for my 5th Gen?"

Since buying the bike in May, I haven't had nearly enough riding time, so I have let a few things slide, such as putting on new rubber.

But next summer, I want to e able to take it whenever/wherever I want, so deciding what things to do, so that it will be best for the long hauls from here to there and back are still in question. It has an aftermarket seat that I like a lot, that is set. Things considered are Bars, Heated grips, Windscreen, Power take-off for accessories, etc.

While I don't think at this point in my life I'll be buying a newer bike, and this one may be my last? I can't see spending 1.5 times the purchase price on upgrading this one, either. So, it ill be interesting to watch and chat about.

Proceed, Cat2Rider.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Why hello there 2k1gonewild

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

5. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    Omg! I read the first sentence of this and all I could think was... This sounds a lot like "unleashing factory power "

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Can't pull the wool over our eyes now can ya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Good Gawd, if this really is 2KGW, someone hook him up with SOW. Maybe they can go play with his pussies...

They'll get along famously, he even has Cat in his forum name...

8. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe it's SOW Junior...

9. SML

SML New Member

Australia
    Gday Cat2Rider, great post.
    Welcome.
    Can't wait to read about your 5th Gen.

10. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States
    Do you have a Corbin Seat? If not I would consider a Corbin Seat "essential" if you plan to be in the saddle more than a few hours a day. The density of foam is far superior to OEM, (the seat weighs about 3 times as much as OEM) You'll be able to ride longer and further without being saddle sore. Cost is about $500 and 4-6 weeks, Note: I personally prefer gripper vinyl to leather, you won't slide around and it last longer and holds up better in the weather.

11. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    But what about the fully unleashed German spec seat?

12. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States
  13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    That's a bold statement. This is more of a personal opinion in choice, what ones ass can handle IMO is really the riders own biz. the Sargent version is another way to go "IF" That said, my take is they are a bit over rated, I have one, and don't care for it, yes built like a tank and good quality, LOL I want less not more, it's not the padding part, butt the fact it keeps me too put, too confined. Yea I can move a round a bit, but prefer the flexibility the stock saddle gives me. I have no issue for doing 4-10 hour trips, thing is I'm off the bike to pee every couple hours or fuel stop anyway, who never gets off there bike to stretch? The stock saddle is where it's at for me, just saying add the fact it weighs less gets me to zoot more too. Again this is a person thing. Next!

14. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I have a feeling there will be many more, increasingly bold statements to come lol.

15. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    Don't argue with him... He has a highly calibrated butt dyno.

16. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have a feeling you will soon change your mind.

17. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I have to agree with you, things like seats and Heli-bars and other ergonomic changes are more of a personal thing. There have been a few members here who, like I wish I had done, had gone to an upholstery shop and had one custom made for about the same cost as a Corbin or Sargent. The only positive thing about going with these generic aftermarket seats is resale value. It's easier to sell a bike or the seat alone if it is not tailored to your behind.

18. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Since the other thread got yanked off
    Was just wondering if you ever got a certified dyno yet? Proof is in the pudding as they say.
    Curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Last mention of dyno, it was said to possibly happen in January lol.

20. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Man that thing hit a brick wall at 130 lol. Did you open a parachute to help contain all that factory unleashed black widow racing performance power?

[​IMG]