Rukka Gloves

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by A.M, Dec 6, 2016.

1. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Have not had a first hand experience (no pun intended) with Rukka. I thought Scubalong bought some of their gear but maybe it was Rev'it. I'll text him and see and have him chime in if he has. I can say I have been tempted to try their stuff because it is said to be great gear for wet weather, but considering how often we see rain here in So Cal I thought I'd spend my money elsewhere first. Hopefully someone here will have had experience with their stuff and chime in for you.

3. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
  4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Jen
    All I can tell you Rukka gears is top notch. They are well built and 100% waterproof. Pay more but last longer
    They are a bit heavy with all the Armour
    Here is Mr and Mrs Scubalong collection .[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. A.M

Are those jackets to be water- and windproof too? If so, have you had them in rain and how do they perform?

Reviews are great to read, but it's awesome to receive from someone I know.

I would rather pay more for quality and protection from the start than to buy additional gloves on the road. My fingers splitting was too much...due to cold, water, and wind.

Thanks for inputs friends!

6. Scubalong

United States
  7. Scubalong

United States
    I have rode in down pour in Alaska for 3 days straight with no issue. The only place I got wet is my neck. Water drifting down from the helmet. Next time I will put a neck cover that will fix that issue.
    The gloves should be inside the sleeve and over the shroud and place plastic bags over your sock... :cool:

8. A.M

Thank you, Dave, for this product link!
    Seems these would be comparable onto Rukka.

Are your Knox Zeros truly waterproof?

9. A.M

10. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Finlands Rukka are very good quality, I have Rukka Tellus Thermo Goretex Gloves which brilliant for temps below 42f but a bit thick so less feel than my very good Alpinestars 360 Goretex form fit which are good for Temps above 42f and below 72f ie late or early Summer / Fall / light Winter or Spring, my Goto general duties dry weather glove is Helds Akira EVO which I also rate highly so don't think you'd go wrong with Held winter gloves either especially as BMW clothing use rebadged Held and have BBs gold stamp of approval.

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    BMW stuff that ain't top notch doesn't last long at dealers. Didn't know that the Helds had been rebadged. I have two pair of Helds sort of general purpose gloves. No experience with the cold weather types. When off on the road I carry sometimes three pair of gloves.

I have seen Helds being sold at bike shows for less than what is being charged online. Gold Stars? Yep, good stuff.

AM's split fingers may be from some of the chemicals used in the tanning process that are leaching out when the gloves get wet.

For a function over form all purpose glove try deerskin. One of the characteristics is that it doesn't expand or slip when wet.

12. A.M

Thanks for the additional input on Held. Finding gloves that I can wear with an additional liner is imperative.

You are on to something with leaching chemicals. Even textiles can bother me, but anything with chromium is a major culprit. No leather at all can directly touch skin as well as metals, even sterling silver. Gold is the only thing I can handle. I've never tried titanium though.

Some may recall seeing what happens to my skin in combination with split fingers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I also receive chemical burns on me from things like heart monitor leads and adhesives from medical tape. Within minutes I'm being burned which is horrible when those items have to bring on my skin for long times. This is one example of many and this was from "extra sensitive" leads.
    [​IMG]

My hands were a major challenge for me on that trip last summer. Very painful, uncomfortable, and downright annoying. From the rashes and burns on the trip, my hand pigmentation has been damaged too, although I'm not concerned with the scarring as much as I am with the burns and pain...which could lead to other issues like infection.

So yeeee, long story short, gloves are my top priority. And with prices like these, I can't afford to test out pair after pair. So I have to choose wisely and really investigate what material/potential chemicals the glove's liners are comprised of.

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Wow! That's crazy there girl! How does silk work for you? I know that Dainese and a few other makers have silk glove liners as I bought a pair for the wife. Although they add a little more to the total volume of your hand(s), usually it's not so much that a good fitting glove doesn't fit well anymore. However if the gloves are really snug, it might make them a little too tight for comfort.

I know you asked DriverDave about his Knox gloves, I actually have the same model as he does so maybe I can chime in on that too. For starters, yes they are pretty water proof, if you wear them correctly. I had them on during a trip to the Sierra's and was rained on for two and half hours. Unfortunately I did not have rain suit and had not thoroughly tightened down the gaitor, so ultimately the water ran down the sleeve of my jacket and down into the glove! Had I had a rain jacket to go over the glove I.e. Having a sleeve over the top of the gloves, I think I would have stayed dry. Although if the gaitor was snugged down, I think it would have slowed the amount of water that seeped into the glove, I doubt it would have prevented all water from getting into the glove.

Not sure if it's me or the glove but I cannot say they do a good job of keeping my hands warm. Not that I get to ride in sub zero temps, I have ridden in low temps (~20F-25F) for decent stretches of time and my hands do get cold, even with glove liners on. That being said, if the temps are usually in the 40F-50F, they seem to do alright. If the temps are going to be really low, heated gloves or heated liners, heated jacket/pants too for that matter, might be a better choice.

Out of curiosity and this this has anything to do with reactions your skin will have, but do you usually buy women's gloves or men's? What size do you wear?

14. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, fully waterproof, but with their own membrane...not Gore-Tex brand.
    Also have to agree with Scuba, have always heard great things about Held's winter gloves.
    Also +1 for silk liners.

15. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Do these winter gloves keep your hands dry if the temp rises a little and your hands begin to sweat? I have some from Competition Accessories that are warm, but anything over 43°and my hands get sweaty and then they take forever to dry inside. Once they're at inside, they aren't as warm.

16. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Gloves with products like Goretex are going to do better with sweat than gloves without it. Goretex and products patterned like it allows the moisture inside the glove out but keeps the moisture outside the glove from coming in. Makers like Dainese, Rev'it, Rukka and a few others have stuff they use that are supposed to work similar to Goretex.

17. Badbilly

United States
    There is one positive aspect to your sensitivity to chromium. You will never be a harleydoodgirl..;)

The palms of my Held gloves are kangaroo. Likely tanned in OZ or Germany. The deerskin gloves I bought are made in Washington. I also had goatskin flying gloves when I was in the service.

Tanning is going to be done differently depending on where the process is done as are the chemicals used. I would say try the silk liners as is, to see if you get a reaction. This may be a dumb question but have you seen a dermatologist about this? There are some tests for allergies that are performed by subcutaneous injections of known allergens in small amounts in both forearms.

From both the blistering and the redness, you may have what is called an id reaction..

A sensitivity to vinyl and other "rubber" gloves is common. Could be the electrolyte on those leads is the culprit or that the leads themselves are a vinyl variant.

For really wet conditions a pair of overgloves that are everything proof like nitrile may be what you need.

18. Badbilly

United States
    Looks like Long is well on his way to a modeling career.

19. Scubalong

United States
    Haha
    I can only wish BB :potstir:

20. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map

Just curious, have you looked at the prices for Rukka jackets and pants? You may need to sell your viffer to buy them, and that is no joke! Great stuff from I what I hear though. I use a lot of Rev it, and have some Held gloves. Good stuff.