Super nice vf750f w/ 4>1 on CL N. Georgja

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by DeeBee, Dec 7, 2016.

1. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

After buying my vf700 in the condition it was any and putting alot of time and money into it.

00202_61QcA7wavYY_1200x900.jpg
    I see this super sweet looking '84 vf750 w/ 4->1 header and holeshot end can, for around the same amount I now have into my fairly rough looking 700.
    Really nice bike wish I had a few extra $ laying around that old interceptor would be mine.
    http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/mcy/5892259583.html

Don't get me wrong, as expected from the Honda name the old 700 is tough as nails. Had to deal with a douchy cager today and actually downgeared when doing so, moments later it felt like it quit gaining speed......glanced down guess I had dropped 3rd (of 5) not 4th , because the tac was pegged up over 11K rpm. Funny thing is she sounded like she had alot more to go. Good thing Mr. H put a rev limiter on her or my momentary lapse of judgement may well have wrapped her up tighter than she could handle. Last thing I need is to puke a rod on the highway. But would I love to have a true not watered down 750, especially for the price. Not likely to find a gear driven gen 2-4 750 in NICE condition for under 2K.

I think I need to find a clean example for each generation, might satisfy the bug for a while.

db

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    That's a great price, alot less than what I put into my 83!!!

3. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Yeah I know almost made me sick to see how clean it was for that price, no matter how I slice it $300 for a main fairing whether NOS, new a/m + paint, or used + any repairs and refinish.
    Not to mention the time and money it would take to get my engine, frame etc. to that level. Even then it's still just a 700. Of course when I got the 700 I was looking for a beater to take the hard knocks of a new rider, not a vintage collectible.

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Sometimes you miss a deal. They are definate "swap shop, flea market, garage sale regrets that you will never live down." A little melodramatic i know but wtf, i turned down a full race system for one of my gen3 bikes a while back. I had the money, but was just thinking of the time involved in installing it and tuning it properly compared to what i have now and said; "Fuk it" let someone else get it. It lasted less than a day. Not a major regret but kick it around in my head every so often :peace:

5. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Patience, Grasshopper!

Don't sweat it! That is the kind of bike that looks quite good in pictures, until you start really looking. Think "BarnFind"! I have a 1985 VF750FF with 4500 k.m.'s on it. Though it is far from perfect, it has potential. Still has the original rubber on it from Japan! Also, found a 1987 VFR700F2, with 25000 miles for $2200.00 CDN. DSCN0123.jpg DSCN0131.jpg DSC00003.JPG

6. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Really sweet looking bikes the '85 looks like it could have been in the showroom. The '87 also really a nice example. If I had the disposable $ laying around I would go for it, especially being as it is white.
    See tons of Honda red bikes on the market (even from other makers), I like red but I learned my lesson with my "look at me red BMW 325is". Seems my heavy right side hand/foot draws enough attention add sporty and red to the mix and it's "teach that boy a lesson ticket time".
    Always had the best luck with white or black don't know if it just blends in or what. It's almost like they will try to catch up and see if your driving otherwise responsibly with those colors, rather than just assume your racing or raising hell.
    Not everyone thinks this way but with the red sport cage every straight pipe-ing racer wanna be would try to start something, especially if I was running late and cruising anywhere close to triple digit range.

Anyhow I guess I already got a workable example from the first gen. Although I do wish it would have been a 750 as both 700 and 750 were available in the US. I guess there were fewer 700's made by far , maybe "tariff model" will add something to the vintage at some point.
    When it comes rebuild time I know I am gonna use a 750 crank and rods w/ the 700 pistons, adds something like .5 or so to your static compression.

So many bikes, ideas, want and wishes never enough time and money_... Really tho' I am just happy to be riding the old 700 is surprisingly quick and can always put a smile on my face.