Strobe light mod

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by mccookers, Dec 10, 2016.

1. mccookers

mccookers New Member

So I was doing some clean up on the VFR and observed that part of the wind screen has two each windows, with nothing behind them. I have had a headlight modulator on one of my other bikes and it works well for lane splitting etc. I did a search and could not find any related threads.

What if we were to install a strobe light (white) in each of the windscreen windows, with a remote switch. The best part of this idea is that it would not otherwise detract from the overall looks and profile of the bike. There may be some question as to the legality of this mod, but I would like to have the option of being "high profile" as needed.

Has anybody looked into this or something simular to it?

2. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Are you talking strobes or modulated lights?

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    If you are talking strobes, they would be awful close to emergency lights which would highly illegal.

4. mccookers

mccookers New Member

Possibly both, I would not want to break any laws. What I know is that modulated are legal, provided they are no more than twice per second and no "wig-wag" is allowed.

Please see pictures of the area I feel is best suited for the mod. vfr window.jpg

5. mccookers

mccookers New Member

Double post oops.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  6. mccookers

mccookers New Member

Okay, forget about the modulating crap. Lets keep it simple. I would like to hardwire two sets of LED (white) lights in the two fairing windows. Seems pretty straight forward eh? This would be considered (scattered light) totally legal to have in front, as long as it is white. An example would be parking and/or running lights.

So since this passes legal muster, it would be nice to fill those windows with something approaching "stock" looking.

I will reply to this thread if I am able to get this idea off the "drawing board".

Thank you for any insightful or useful intel in this regard.

Merry Christmas. vfr window2.jpg

7. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Something like this maybe? It's simple and extremely effective IMO.

[video=youtube;89YPB554HCg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89YPB554HCg[/video]

8. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    What year is your VFR?

9. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, this made me think of that video GatorGreg posted up. Seemed simple and easy. No hard wiring. Easily removable of need be. Thought to see about it for my moto. With all the run-ins with cages, would be interesting to see if the incidences decrease.

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Strobes are illegal most places. Wigwags are illegal most places. Modulators are illegal most places but motorcycle usually enjoy have an exemption. Auxiliary lights would have to conform with your local regulations. Your best bet would be to go into an inspection facility authorized by your state and explain to them or show them on your bike what you want to do. They will be able to tell you if it is legal in your state or not. They work with that stuff every day and will (should) know that stuff off the top of their heads and share it with you. Reading through statutes, regulations, acts and the like for vehicle related matters can be cumbersome to someone who is not familiar with doing so.

11. mccookers

mccookers New Member

I have the 2010 VFR1200. No recalls on the propeller. Going to be my "go to" bike for sure.