sena 20s

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by zombie, Dec 17, 2016.

1. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Finally picked up a Sena 20s for myself. Actually, my wife will be wrapping it and sticking it under the tree for Christmas. Can't wait to open it and try it out.
    Just checked the weather network....... no rush.Might make it up to the freezing mark on Christmas day. Last year I rode to work Christmas eve as it was 16 Celsius. Not so lucky this year. Had at least a foot of snow over the last couple of days.

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I think you will be happy with the Sena. I have had a set for a couple years now and am more or less pleased with it. I got the 10R. It is nice and compact but if I were to do it over again, I would have gotten the 10C unit available at the time. I think they are more easy to use wearing gloves that the smaller 10R.

Something you need to keep in mind when installing these is placement of the mic. You have to avoid placing it right in front of your mouth. Your voice gets all garbled to the listener because you are far to close. You also need to get it away from the wind effects from the bottom of your helmet. If you are in the voice activated mode, the wind noise will constantly activate the mic and the wind noise heard by everyone you are paired with is very annoying. It also drains the battery life considerably faster.

I have my mic placed to the side right up tight to the cheek pads. This is plenty close to activate the mic yet my voice does not com across garbled.

If you do not do long trips it is not needed, but I also have mine wired to a get up and to the bike so that I keep the Sean's battery charged all the time. You will need to dick around a bit to discover the bast place to run the wired to suit your preferences. On long trips, it is nice to have either and or coms and music at all times.

3. Brad1977

Brad1977 New Member

Australia
    I actually bought a interphone brand and works fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. sarge383

sarge383 New Member

United States
    Map
    20 s for the win love ours music and blutooth

5. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    I've had my Sena 20S since March and touring buddies all have a mix of 20S and older Senas besides its long intercom range apparently up to line of sight 1.5miles between other 20S units, what sets the 20S apart from the earlier Senas is being able to stream GPS warnings and directions without dropping out conversations. I created Groups so mine is used as conference hub making changes in routes or fuel stops much easier on the fly between multiple riders and if you are talking to one then others in the same Group can automatically drop in to join.

* Obviously brief general conversations are on low trafficked Hwys or when stationary and not through twisties, route changes are usually held coming into intersections but save tremendous time and danger of pulling riders over to perform the edge of road Helmet to Helmet tap dance.

6. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Good to hear all your input. Up till now I have just used wired ear buds or a Bluetooth set I have, non of my riding buddies have anything yet but I'm sure that will change.

7. RhINO

RhINO New Member

Sweden
    Map
    I have a Sena 20s aswell, bought it partly because the boss wanted to be able to reach me while I was driving and partly to be able to listen to music. I think it works fine, would have liked a bit earlier warning before the battery dies.

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Of course depending on your riding, you will still need hearing protection that does reduce the music quality and volume some. Then again, anyone looking for high fidelity while riding a bike is in dream land. Before I got mine, I did use the earbuds and the cell phone's music storage that worked very well. The ear buds also acted as ear protection as well so that was a bonus.

You can get earbuds from Sena to use with your Sena in place of the speakers. I have thought about these but I am not really wanting to spend that money on earbuds that will bother me after a long day in the saddle. Most earbuds are too big regardless of the size of the silicon piece for my ears and the ears become sore after a few hours. It seems that the cheap ear buds were the ones that fit my ears best. And I just hate buying inexpensive stuff.

9. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    If battery levels are important then you can use the Voice Command " Check Battery " to give you an idea on its current level.

10. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    On tour I've found the lower 24db to 28db disposable ear plugs to be a good balance between decreasing the helmets wind noise and oddly the music quality from the Senas speakers actually sounds better than without the plugs though admit Hi Fidelity reproduction quality is not all that critical to the music or podcasts I generally listen to.

11. RhINO

RhINO New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Yes I know, but still it's saying something like "warning low battery" and the dies 15s later, could be some... i don't know 15 minutes?

/R

12. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Have to agree with you on that. It could be a louder warning too. When on the highway with ear protection on, you hear something but you are left wonder WTFWT?

13. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    I've done at least 8hrs ride time during each day on tours with plenty of music and intercom talking without running out, do you charge it back up each time it's used ?

14. RhINO

RhINO New Member

Sweden
    Map
    No, I don't charge it every day when commuting :)

Edit
    Even if I would be on a 8h a day trip, I'd like a bit more warning than a 15s - beeep - gone. I could go for a burger and ask if I can charge stuff at the cafe I find.

15. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Ahh the joys of autocom. All for the sake of a few wires. Battery life on the senas was the main problem with the guys that I ride with.

16. John451

John451 Member

Australia

Fair enough though can't see where that can be changed so perhaps a habit of checking the level by Vox at the end of each ride and if less than 50% then charge it or check the level by the Led flashes each time you turn the unit on, eg cycles of 3 red flashes is 30 to 70% ok not precise but useful as a guide.

17. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Can the unit be charged with a powerpack while using it?

18. RhINO

RhINO New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Sure, all I'm saying is that the "low battery feature" is pretty useless. If you implement something that's supposed to automate anything and it doesn't it's not a good feature. Right now the "I'll shut down in 15s"-warning doesn't help :D

19. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Yes. Sena has a wiring harness available to hard wire to your bike. With the smaller battery on my 10, it wasn't long before I ordered and wired mine. A very small effort getting used to the chord but I could not be without on my long trips.

20. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I have power from the bike but I just wondered if a power pack would work as well, keep it in the pocket and then not hooked up to the bike. My Bluetooth ear buds will not charge with a power pack and I just wondered about the sena.