Saturday Ride

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by DeeBee, Dec 31, 2016.

1. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Took off for a couple hour jaunt this afternoon. Rode up to the TVA (Tennessee Valley electric Authority) didn't get any pics while I was there as the stay was short. I used to hike there frequently and would have got pics of their old hydroelectric turbo impelled but had forgot to bring any smokes.
    What better to make a cannonball run down the mountain. I stopped in a little no red light town for smokes and the lady at the Hale inn (really a gas station/ eatery) invited me in to warm up and grab a free cup of coffee.
    The ambiance was nice , the game was on and the food cooking in the back smelled great so I took her up on the Southern Hospitality and snapped these pics from the front porch.
    IMAG0238.jpg
    IMAG0239.jpg
    IMAG0239.jpg
    Met a roaming biker that had settled in the area for a couple years.
    Last turn before turning into my intersection and i feel my front brake lever steadily sinking as I stop. Go figure one my bargain basement LeoFossi braided steel lines has worn through the liner at the joint where it constantly flexes due to front fork action.
    Apparently they weren't designed to be used in such a way.... wait what wheel could you hook a brake line to where it won't move and flex. Maybe a lawn mower powered mini-bike.
    Disgusted but not at all surprised.... I will be putting the factory lines back on.

BTW I wore my new polartecs under my pants today and rode for two hours in 40-45 ℉ weather and my legs were super warm

2. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Nice to see a classic VFR from the 80s still getting it done! I hope to be up in that area this summer as part of my cross country tour.

3. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

I am not sure of the mile markers but if you come down past the Lower end of the tea hydroelectric plant. ( pretty neat during low electrical use times it pumps water up to the resivoir, the resivoir holds enough water to create several MegaWatt hours of hydro electric power throughout high usage times in the hot days of summer saving the need for two additional generators to power the Chattanooga area. The process is something like 90+ % efficient in each direction.) Anyhow it's a decent destination.
    Highway 41 in the valley between lookout mountain and Chattanooga is a must ride stretch. Huge long rolling straights, with big open sweepers and nearly no traffic. I will try to get the info where 41 crosses both 27 on the north end, and I think 75? On the other highway.
    41 runs from Miami Florida all the way to Canada via Michigan.
    Most of us have heard the song ramblin' man.
    The first verse goes:
    Well my father was a gambler down in Georgia,
    He wound up on the wrong end of a gun.
    And I was born in the back seat of a Greyhound bus
    Rollin' down highway 41.

This is the same 41 I speak of.

If you're in the Chattanooga area look me up.
    I'll at least treat you to some brews and spill info about some good roads in the area.

My only regret is throwing in some supposed eth free 87, rather than my usual super fresh pure 89 from the station right next to a major distributer laced with a cup of heat. Only really noticed the difference except on top end lost 10mph of overrev pull in fourth and didn't have really any pull in 5th for me on the vf 6th is a pipe dream.

Typically 4 will quickly pull to the rev limiter and 5th I believe would pull to rev limit as well but never had the chance to test it.
    Only a few days earlier with my normal fuel and similar temp and humidity that thing was pulling like a rocket sled thru second, third, and fourth, with a steady cruise in high gear faster than I could pull on this trip
    at under half throttle.
    It definitely seems strange when the grin wears off to realize how hard I flogged an 30+ year old motor good thing I got a Honda.
    Most reliable and the only brand bike I would own other than maybe a Yamaha, for their dedication to speed and having it together with stability, that awesome almost electric blue color doesn't hurt either.

Enough rambling for me. Not that anyone probably read this far anyhow.

Good night all.

Deebee

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  4. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Hey thanks for the invite! Yes that's a great Allman Brothers' tune! 41 is a part of the Dixie Highway I believe, and goes by the number 441 in central Florida. I actually lived on 441 aka 13th Street in Gainesville my first two years of college at UF in a dorm called Beatty Towers. Legend has it that a girl jumped to her death from Beatty Towers and inspired the song "American Girl" by Tom Petty who was from Gainesville - and he references the road in the song:

[video=youtube;prXGI1PJtnA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prXGI1PJtnA[/video]

5. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Another song about the Dixie Highway :rockband:

[video=youtube;iNZStNxwpnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNZStNxwpnw[/video]

6. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    I found a kick-ass live version of the aforementioned Ramblin' Man performed at the UF bandshell in '82 - God I love YouTube!

[video=youtube;A1xjl00sbao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1xjl00sbao[/video]