Aftermarket exhaust can for use with OEM panniers

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Corrugated, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Corrugated

Corrugated New Member

Canada
    Hi guys,

I`m ready to get my order placed for my new VFR :) and wanted to know what aftermarket exhaust will fit properly along with the OEM side bagsÉ
    I prefer the 8-9`inch Delkevic the most from what I can see. Any one had specific experience with a particular brand that would work the best for this applicationÉ

Thanks again!

2. the_small_moose

the_small_moose New Member

Corrugated,

I have been looking into this myself. I work at a dealer so I have been lucky enough to try out some aftermarket exhausts and see fitment. I have bags as well and need a can that will fit. One thing with shorter exhausts you need to be concerned about is the heat shield on your right bag. It extends fairly far forward but if the exhaust is canted slightly upwards and is shorter, the exhaust may shoot hot fumes onto the plastic and metal. This could cause deformity in the bag. Several exhaust systems that I have seen fit well are the arrow, the scorpion serket, akrapovic, and the two brothers. Go directly onto their website because some of the "approved" exhausts will not fit the bags. The arrow and the two brothers come with 2 different versions so make sure (if you do order those) that you get the bag approved ones. The 2 I have personally heard is the Akrapovic and the Two brothers. The two brothers is much deeper and a bit louder than the Akrapovic. Although I did not get to hear the Akra with the baffle removed. The Akra sounded pretty good with the baffle in, was only a little bit louder but much more thump and bassier tones than the stock.

Personally I think I am going to order the Scorpion Serket. I am not a fan of loud exhausts as I do a lot of long distance touring/riding (4-5 hours a day) and I think it becomes annoying after a certain period of time.

3. Ohlias

Ohlias New Member

Canada
    I just ordered the Arrow Race-Tech and am hoping it will fit with OEM panniers. Didn't see any info on the site about different sizes or mounting points... kinda worried now.

4. Corrugated

Corrugated New Member

Canada
    Hi Ohlias,

I believe most low-mount / standard-mount exhausts will fit fine with the OEM panniers. My shorty Delkevic has been no problem at all (though a bit loud lol). Obviously a high mount exhaust will not be compatible with the panniers...

5. winvfr

winvfr New Member

Canada
    Map
    I took the safe route and went with the Akrapovic.

IMG_1968.jpg
    IMG_1969.jpg

6. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
  7. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I have seen posts with higher mounts closer to the seat and for those that like his (which I am one) agree with you that this will not work for any hard bags! Love the Delkevic shorty and the ability of having the OEMs or other options of hard cases. I do like my soft bags though. Viking 22-26 lter saddle bags and tail bag cost me $180.00.

8. winvfr

winvfr New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yeah, if there's one thing I'd say I didn't like about it is it's size.

It's pretty much the same length as the stock can but looks bigger because it starts further back so it appears longer. It's also an oval so from the side it looks pretty wide. It would be perfect if it was about 2 inches shorter and squished a bit vertically.

Appearance-wise, some of the others like the Dam look better proportioned.

9. Ohlias

Ohlias New Member

Canada
    Should get my Arrow Race-Tech in a couple weeks and will report back to CONFIRM the model number and fitment with OEM panniers / saddlebags so that those who search in the future find the answers they need.

For now, hope you guys are enjoying your rides, it's friggin cold here in Montreal and I haven't even had a chance to start her yet... :(

10. smoke4ndmears

smoke4ndmears New Member

United States
    Map
    Just to add to this, the Akrapovic is so svelte that the heat shield on a VFR1200 sourced case doesn't need to be modified.

11. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    VFR Dave has the 2 brothers, sounds very nice and he says it works fine with his OEM saddlebags. However, they sell two different kinds so make sure if you get 2 bros you get the lower version that's compatible with the bags, the higher one is not. We compare the sound of Dave's 2 bros with my Delk mini at the beginning of this vid:

[video=youtube;VLy8Y2v5XAE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLy8Y2v5XAE[/video]