Fuel range

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by VFRJeppy1979, Jan 22, 2017.

1. VFRJeppy1979

VFRJeppy1979 New Member

Canada
    I'm not concerned with fuel mileage but I would like to know how many kms or mi these bikes are capable of per tank of fuel. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Sometimes a lot and sometimes not a lot. If the regulator/rectifier craps out and ya have to push the bike the mileage is fantastic.

If you have as many bikes as listed, the mileage varies relative to the riding style and about a dozen other factors including not shifting into 6th gear on the slab.

3. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    A lot depends on how you ride. I don't hang around and usually get over 200 miles before light comes on ride slower and even more miles will you get.

4. Badbilly

United States
  5. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Just a trip to the shops dear boy.

6. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    I must have a leaky tank - I'm on flashy bars at 120m on average...

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Just depends on the right hand, it varies a lot. 25-60...mpg.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  8. John O

John O New Member

United States
    Map
    I feel safe waiting 'til 215 miles, unless I'm out in the open spaces. This is twice what my beloved VTR gave me and I'm lovin' it. Last year I could do stretches of road that were simply off-limits to me previously. For example in Arkansas I wanted to fill up in one place, but the station was closed. Then in the next town, the station had recently burnt down. I still made it into Oklahoma and detoured to another town for gas. By then I was being a little conservative with the throttle, but this is one fine sport-touring bike!

9. Mach22

Mach22 New Member

United States
    Map
    Of course as everyone else says it really depends on how feisty your right wrist is feeling but I've seen averages for a full tanks worth of riding around 53 mpg with a range of roughly 225 miles. I have no idea how close I was to actually running out of fuel but I've been close to that number a few times! I haven't done anything crazy to the bike either: Two Brothers Racing slip on, Clearwater Darla LED lights, MotoPumps Bar Risers, and a T-Rex racing slider kit.

10. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Do all of you people only wight 75lbs and are 5'6" tall? I'm pushing it to get 170 miles out of my tank, either in my current 5th gen or my previous 6th gen, and that is riding like a grandma. Probably because I am 6'2" tall and my shoulders stick in the wind, big time with the stock windshield.

11. Badbilly

United States
    Are you HWP?

The OP's post was really not all that clear. "I'm not concerned with fuel mileage but I would like to know how many kms or mi these bikes are capable of per tank of fuel. Any input will be greatly appreciated."

I'm thinking that he is not concerned with the cost/mi or km. even though it relates to the miles or klicks/gallon or litre of gas. Hauling ass at 10-12K feet in the mountains and creeping along at sealevel checking oot the boobs on the chicas at Black's Beach, the distance/tank is gonna vary.

Added to that sometimes hauling ass in both locales can increase the cost/mile or klick if smokey is around.

A little planning ahead can get ya out of a fix when fuel is concerned. A couple of those anodized fuel bottles that hold a quart don't take up that much room unless ya plan on shoving one down the front of your pants for effect. Maps and map apps are getting more sophisticated all the time and some will even show which gas stations are along most routes. Then we got signs that sometimes read in bigass letters "NO GAS FOR_______MILES. These are not ads or so I have found. Last, ain't nothin wrong with topping off before that red light goes on.

Ten pesos says I forgot something that some fuckin nitpicker or trum stumper will remind me of.. La Cuenta is in the mail.

12. Badbilly

United States
    There was a rumor around that you guys over there have shops that sell leather kilts for Scot bikers. Can you confirm of deny this? TIA

13. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I typically get between 280-300 km's per tank on my 2002 ... even loaded with gear. This is provided I'm not spending a lot of time in VTEC range.

I wouldn't push much further than that since that's practically empty.

14. VFRJeppy1979

VFRJeppy1979 New Member

Canada
    Thanks for the input guys.

15. Mach22

Mach22 New Member

United States
    Map
    LOL although I'm 5'8" I'm definitely not anywhere close to 75lbs and haven't been for over 20 years but also get some extra wind drag from wide shoulders.

On my commute I go through about 1500' of elevation gain, all different kinds of weather, and sometimes includes heavy traffic. So I've seen numbers higher than my average 225 miles per tank, and of course much lower. Not as low as my VROD which I have to be really good to even get 170 miles per tank from.

16. VFRJeppy1979

VFRJeppy1979 New Member

Canada
    Let me clear up my initial post. I am not concerned with the cost of fuel. Just how far this motorcycle will take me on a tank of fuel. Sounds like 200 miles might be possible, if I'm lucky. Which is fine since I will be ready for stretch by then anyway.

17. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    You can expect more than 200 miles out of almost every tank.
    The 8th gen gets much better mileage than previous gens.
    I have no problem getting 45 mpg, riding hard at high altitudes...if I take it a bit easier, I can get 50 mpg no problem. I've never heard of anyone getting less than 40 mpg from an 8th gen, under normal conditions (2-up with luggage at high speed might get less).

The 8th gen has a 5.6 gal tank, so...
    40 mpg = 224 miles
    45 mpg = 252 miles
    50 mpg = 280 miles

18. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    5'11". And pretty beefy at mo 125 kg. Training starts next week.

19. VFRJeppy1979

VFRJeppy1979 New Member

Canada
    That sounds great to me. I would be very happy with 200 miles. Elevation is pretty flat all over eastern Canada which is where I travel, probably less than 1000 feet on average.

20. Badbilly

United States
    Stretching is a good thing as well as pulling into a gas station to fill up and taking a leak. For a more dynamic exercise, pushing a quarter ton motorcycle to the next gas stop is really great. Relying on what some dude or dudes have to say aboot mileage as gospel is almost apostasy or the latest thing right after alternative facts, "trumpery".

Feel free to use that withoot quotes. I have a phobia aboot black helicopters..

I thought all you Canuckastanians put your bikes away in Winter and rode snowmobiles.