Removing throttle body from 04 vfr 800

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by leo492, Jan 22, 2017.

1. leo492

leo492 New Member

Canada
    Good day all

Im currently removing the throttle body of the vfr. It has never been done and doesn't want to move out of its place. Do you have any tricks? It seems stuck there. I have follow the steps from the service manual.

I have a cracked collant hose under it and I need to remove the throttle body to access the hose and clamp.

Thank you

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

2. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    You get everything disconnected (all the plugs and vacuum hoses), then you get a hair dryer and thoroughly warm up the metal of the throttle body and the rubber of the connectors (this softens the connectors up a bit, making them more likely to release the throttle body without too much of a struggle), then you loop a strap (I use a bike rack tie down) around/under the edge of the #1 cylinder corner of the throttle body, then you lean over the bike and loop the strap across your shoulders. This gives you the ability to brace your hands on the bike's frame and pull directly upward to lever the throttle body free.

Good luck.

3. leo492

leo492 New Member

Canada
    Good its out. Now i can change the hose.

I do have a last question. Some dirt felt inside the hole du to everything being extremely dirty. I was thinking using a vacuum and a lint free cloth to clean the inside to remove dead bugs and dirt. Any better idea?

Thank you.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

4. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    I recently cleaned up the very dirty '99 I just bought. The area under the throttle body was full of dirt, sand and dead bugs.

Here's what it looks like now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a vacuum first, then I used kitchen cleaning products to loosen up the baked-on dirt (a repeated spraying and soaking time) then I wiped this up and went at it again until it shined.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  5. leo492

leo492 New Member

Canada
    So I cleaned enough to be satisfied (I don't have nearly enough time I was hopping for) but I have one worry left. The risk of dirt entering the cylinder.

I tried to remove as much as possible dirt on top of the valve but it just stays there so I guess it was already there before doing my work. I used a Q-tips, followed by the vacuum, what's left doesn't bulge. But the rear cylinder valve are a bit open so I can't see if there's any dirt.

What did you do? Prayed that nothing entered?

Btw, that's a really clean engine you got there!

EDIT: I just saw I asked the same question earlier, I'm leaving this post anyway.

6. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Duct tape a straw to a vacuum cleaner hose. You should be able to carefully get dirt off the valves that way.