To part, or not to part, that is the question?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by HiFiGuy1, Jan 23, 2017.

1. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

I have a generally very nice1990 VFR750F, with the exception of a scratched right mid-section fairing and the need for some rubber carb isolators and jets, etc. It's a bike I dreamed of owning ever since it came out in 1990. I had a poster of it on my wall for years, the whole thing. Finally, an opportunity came up in 2011, and I bought one that was literally being kept in a guy's living room. It was as good as new if not better. I rode it a little bit, very little unfortunately, and one day in 2011 we fell over together in the front yard which is where the fairing issues came up, and I kinda parked it, broken-hearted, so it's been sitting in my garage ever since.

Now, I am motivated by another project, building a SpecE30 race car, and want to use the proceeds from the bike to partially fund that car. I would prefer to sell the bike to someone who will love it and ride it, as I believe it deserves. However, I don't want to literally give it away, so I am also willing to part it out, if that brings me more money for my new project. I had an offer of $500 for the whole bike, which I thought was very low, so I am coming on here to get input as to the best way to move forward.

I am new here, so not sure if I can post pics yet or not.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The extant plastic and the rear wheel alone if the wheel is an 8 spoke would be worth more than the 500 pesos. More like twice.. Other items like a centerstand and a seat cowl if available increase the value. Mileage although not critical on these bikes within reason is a good ad incentive as would be pix including the damage to the plastic. If the bike has been indoors this increases the value. A clear title is another good selling point. A general location of the machine is also incentive.

The 90-93s received superlative marks in the worldwide motorcycle press and now these bikes and the parts are getting hard to find.

There will be those who will tell you that you should send off stuff to their favorite money pit purveyors so you can sink 4 or 5 grand into a 26 year old bike so you can stay in their good graces.. Others will offer you as much as 50 pesos for "your old POS.."

Me? I'd start at two grand cash money and maybe come down a peso or two.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Hi great first post even with out photos and yes you can post photos, photo bucket or the like gives out a better view IMO, but go with what works for you. Sad to hear this may get parted if, definitely worth the trouble moving it as a complete machine. That being, but you're right, you'd probably get more revenue in pieces. Maybe. Thing is with that you'll no doubt be keeping some of it, as it won't sell off in a timely manner, yet the bigger stuff will. The rear wheel for example can fetch $300. Tank faring pieces can see good returns too, IIRC the side stand faring is like unattainable, those there will fetch a many pesos. But over all there's a lot of little things that won't sell , if you're in a hurry, so in that I'd work a deal for the whole VFR IMO But H yes, post photos, if it's clean less the ooops, who knows, just might find a good home from one of us here.

Yo, BB, Do you have any advice for the boy?

4. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

Thanks guys for the quick responses! I will post pics from my phone this afternoon, and see what you guys think.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Damn he's fast to the draw. ;)

6. Badbilly

United States
    Nope, that's about it since I have a 1991 and was just waiting for you to chimp in with the usual recapitulation.

I would hesitate to assume the OP is a boy since he stated that the bike (a 1990) was a bike he wanted when they first came oot.

My guess is he is probably a little older and hopefully not sensitive to implied pejoratives.

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I bought my 93 which i trailored home for $500. It turned over, thats all i knew. 15,000 miles alot of parts later its a 150 mph bike now.

8. Badbilly

United States
    Not exactly mach one but good enough..

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    But one never knows with all this cloak and dagger on the inter-net ;) it was all done tongue and cheek

10. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

You would be correct. I was newly married when this bike came on the market. Had to replace my Bo Derek poster with something less obvious at that point.

11. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

12. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

If you want pics of more specific things, feel free to ask.

Badbilly, yes it's an 8-spoke rear wheel. Pics aren't the best, but if I cleaned it up, and took off the exhaust, I could get a better pic.

You can see pictures of two of the three (I think) affected body parts in picture 11 and picture 16. The other is the lower right, which is kind of blocked by the white box, but there's a 100 lb.+ amplifier in there, and I didn't have the energy to move it at that moment!

13. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    The bike is to nice to part out IMO.

14. Redcrow

Redcrow New Member

Australia
    Don't just let it go - you may be eager for a new project but don't just give it away. Out here in aussie land ive just been offered one in same sort of condition as yours with no rego or rwc and starting price is 3500 ono. Even has the spokes done same colour red. Would be nice to own for sure. it starts runs and rides quite well. he old saying something is only worth what someone is willing to pay does come into it a little but fair is also fair. Good luck whatever direction you go in

15. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

Thank you for the nice words, GreyVF750F. In my heart, I want the bike to stay whole and find a new loving home, but I am definitely moving on at this point, so if parting it out makes WAY more money, I'd do it. If enough of a minimum number comes along for the whole machine, I would be happier to take that lesser amount and know it was still going to be complete.

Redcrow, I know myself well enough to know that I will probably not ride it again, and I am too fond of it to let it sit and rot. I don't want to give it away, for sure, but I am definitely of a mind to sell it.

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ooo, Eee o aw aw wing wang wala wala bing bang, awe.. MMM Do not part this out quite yet, not only is it shame seeing it torn down, you've got a diamond in the ruff. I'm willing to bet you could get at the least 2k Me, I'd start at 2800 and go from there. Those bits keeping it from running aren't necessarily a deal breaker oh and hope I didn't offend you ;0

17. HiFiGuy1

HiFiGuy1 New Member

RVFR, definitely not offended. I come from a long line of non-PC folks. I will happily accept your offer of $2800. To whom should I make out the title? :sneakiness:

18. Badbilly

United States
    There ya go...The bike is too nice to part out IMO..They sold for +/- 6K new. Centerstands were about a hundred bucks then uninstalled. You also have an aftermarket can that usually go out the door for 200 bucks +.

The condition of the bike overall is apparent. IMO you could get with the right buyer maybe as much as 3K. That bike has lived in a garage for most of its life.

Never had an amp that heavy. I rassled a pair of Klipschorns around for years with 16" Stevens woofers. Old school stuff. I think the crossovers were hand wound by Paul Klipsch. The cabinets were 5/8" marine ply as best I recall.. Some of the stuff out there today is only for the flush.. Saw a TT in a mag recently for 7K. Had a vacuum pump in the darn thing..

19. Motleyfan

Motleyfan New Member

United States
    Def agree that the bike is too nice to part out. If you do decide to go that way I'd be interested in the undertail/mudguard and the exhaust doughnut if it can be removed in decent shape. I also have a 90 in excellent shape. Really.....Your's is to nice to part out!

Nick

20. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    Story
    In 1990 I went to a Honda demo day and took the new VFR750 for a ride.
    Well 26+ years later I finally just purchased one . For you to decide it is time to move on it must have been a hard one.
    To be honest I must be a pack rat, At this point I will be in the ground before I sale this one. After that ride, over the years I have saved sale booklets, shop manual and every magazine relating to the VFR. It is probably a good thing you live a long ways away or I would be very tempted to buy your bike because from what I see she is one fine piece.
    Now to sound like a total ass if and I say if you start the parting out I would have to ask for the optional seat cowl if it has one
    Thanks for posting the great pictures of your VFR, it is great to see the survivors, think long about you sale her off, once she is gone there will be a time when you while question your choice.
    Darrell