Sargent Seats

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by blackmax, Jan 23, 2017.

1. blackmax

blackmax New Member

Canada
    Has anyone sent their factory seat in to Sargent to get redone?

Mine is on its way.

I've had both Corbin and Sargent on previous bikes and both were good. I hope this one turns out good.

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I did not realize they reconditioned OEM seats. The platform for the 6th gen Sargent seat is quite a bit different than the OEM. I have both. The welting has worn through my Sargent so I will get it fixed at Rich's near Seattle when I make my way back though Washington State after a trip to Atascadero later in the spring.

Seeing as the welting need fixing, I will take the plunge and get the seat rebuilt and fit to my toosh. Many have complimented this guy on his work. Gonna give it a try. I have been wanting to do this for a few years now but seeing as mine is at a point of wearing, now is the time.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Got a seat cover from them A1 operation 20160923_100508.jpg

4. hwyix

hwyix New Member

United States
    Map
    How much does that cost and what is the turn around time ?

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Who you directing this at. If is was me, you have to attend Rick's in person as the seats are custom fit to your butt. I am told the turn around time is usually 24 hours. I am also told that he has accommodations there for out of town customers. I don't imagine it is free but I am sure it is very reasonable. The pool is probably in someone's imagination though.

6. BCAl

BCAl New Member

Canada
    Map
    I was at the bike show on the weekend in Vancouver and Rich had a booth. I picked up a price list. Scan0054.jpg

7. blackmax

blackmax New Member

Canada
    My response from Sargent was 3 to 4 week turn around from the time they receive it.

The cost depends on what you want done to the seat. http://www.sargentcycle.com/

I sent in the seat of my other bike and liked what they did to it. I can ride all day long without feeling like someone kicked me in the ass a thousand times with steel toe boots.

I'm hoping this seat will turn out good too. It can be risky sending it in to get redone because you never know how it will turn out. I'm not afraid to modify anything I own. If I don't like something and I can change it for the better then I will.

8. John O

John O New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, I did last May. My stock seat was pretty good, but I planned a coast-to-coast trip and wanted to not end up with cripple-butt after 3 or 4 long days. I talked to Scott on the phone to make sure I had stated my order correctly and shipped off a new seat. That way, if it was a disaster, I would still have a seat and could ride while waiting for the Sargent seat. It came back on time and on budget. I loaded up and rode it for 8400 miles in the next month. I've got to say it was really a good investment. I had asked them to widen and flatten it a little, and the difference was essential to making such a long ride. Good luck.
    2016 trip andr--32.jpg
    This shows how it looked after 5000 miles, arriving in Pensacola.

9. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I need to reshape my seat. It's too high in back, as well as I need to be able to slide back further, it has too much of a lean towards the front and I'd like it higher as well. I may just buy some seat foam and mess around with it myself, for the fun and experience of it.

10. blackmax

blackmax New Member

Canada
    It sure makes a difference when the seat mod works for you. I really notice it on long distance rides when you're riding for days. I think it's a good investment as well. Worth every cent.

I can't wait to get it back.

11. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I had a doode re-contore and use duel density foam on another bike i own makes a huge difference on comfort. Between suspension and the seat, your no longer riding a bargain basement bike.

12. blackmax

blackmax New Member

Canada
    Got the seats back today. So far I'm happy with it. I've only sat on it and I think it will be good. I'll get better pics when I have time.

IMG_1707.jpg IMG_1708.jpg

13. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    What was the cost? and let us know on comfort. We should probably want to know your height and weight to see if the same modes work for me and the rest.
    Thanks, Mike D.

14. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Hey Blackmax, Tell us about the seat. It looks great and is it leather? How much and how tall and heavy are you so we or I can use the info to have the same done. Thanks for the info.

Mike D.

15. blackmax

blackmax New Member

Canada
    I'm 5.5 180 lbs. The seats are some type of vinyl but you can get leather and other options. Cost was $325 U.S. dollars. The cost depends on what you want done. I had the original foam taken off and had their foam put in. The seat was widened in the back and dished. The passenger seat had nothing done other than new cover to match the front seat. Their foam is not as thick as factory and feels harder when you sit on it. My other bike had the same thing done on it and I've put about 170,000 Kms on it. You notice the difference in comfort when you ride for a long time. I've also had a Corbin seat on another bike which was even more firm to sit on but you could ride that all day long with out a sore ass. After riding the VFR my ass was sore and the seat just feels like sitting on a sponge with no shape. A lot of people think having a thick spongy seat is better but I disagree. You will never really know until you try it out for more than just a couple hours riding. I can't tell you how it is yet until winter is over but I think it will be good. I'm still not sure if I will be keeping this bike until I'm done making changes that suit me and I'm still not done.

16. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Poor Randy! He is getting sucked into a trap by somebody who is pimping for Rich's Seats. The whole thing is a ruse. What happens is the site trolls for Canadian dudes, has them kidnapped then sells them to Middleastern Sheilks for use as cabana boys.

17. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Seats look nice! Wondering if the stitching/welts in the rear seat will cause chafing/blistering?

18. blackmax

blackmax New Member

Canada
    I had a chance to try this new seat out this weekend and so far I'ts all I expected to be. The stitching/welts on the passenger seat won't affect me. No one rides on the passenger seat for long periods. On long runs I put a tail pack on.

I also put on a set of Knights lower foot pegs. It's not only easier on my knees it's also easier on my back. These changes made a huge difference that suite me. This will really be appreciated on long runs where I'm putting on the miles.

19. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    seat looks killer :thumbsup:

20. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Back in the day on my 2003 Suzuki Sv1000s they offered a OEM Gel seat option. I bought and loved it other that the down side of how hot it got if left uncovered (you would come back after lunch and pay for it at 120 degees F+ for miles if left in the sun). I Learned very quickly to put my riding jacket over it or park in the shade, but it was a very killer seat for me and was only a $95 upgrade. I did some mileage on it and loved it because the OEM seat was a piece of shit. It was like sitting on a set of breast implants without the worry of being weird or worrying about the health issues.:tickled_pink: I Rode on it for 6yrs with no issues of seams breaking or anything else. I wish that Honda would offer a gel seat even with the down side of heat retention or a more mileage option OEM like Suzuki did for the Premium VFR .