Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries

Help fund the VFR header

Ok so here is the deal. I know there are a bunch of us that are really interested in a full stainless or even titanium header set up for are bikes. maybe not interested to buy, but at least interested to see what, if any, power gains you can really get out of a header. the problem is who is going to step up to the plate and make one, seeing how no major manufacturer does anymore, and not just be all talk and never bring anything to the table. Well I nominate myself to be that person!!! but I cant do this alone, so i am asking for help from all my fellow VFRworld members.

Clearly with something like this the cost is the major factor, and is probably the #1 road block for any of us to make something our selves. from the price of material, paying someone hours on hours of labor to bend and weld, the R&D, the dyno time, it all adds up. I have talked with a good friend of mine who is a fabricator and magician with the welding wand, he owns his own shop and does a majority of his work all by hand, and he is willing to work one on one with me to make a header. he does however not work for free, he has told me the cost to make the first one is going to be roughly $1000-$1200, after we get one done and make a jig then the time and effort go's down along with the cost if we choose to make more. I should also note that the fitment design we are going with is the stock header off a 5th gen. so you would be able to use this header with any basic slip on exhaust if you own a 5th or 6th gen VFR

$1k isn't a lot of money for some of you, but for me it is not something i just have laying around in my back pocket. I am self employed, business isn't super busy right now, so I don't have a lot of extra funds to be throwing at a project like this. what I do have a lot of is passion, a love for the VFR Community, and time to work on this project, and not just for myself, but for all of us. I can manage the R&D, and pay for the dyno time, but this all starts with getting the header made first. I will be using my own 5th gen as the test mule for this build.

I set up a "go fund me" account. https://www.gofundme.com/vfr-header-build, I am asking for your help. some of you might laugh at this, others will actually be interested and maybe help. one person that has already helped is OOTV (daryl), who donated a stock header and even paid to ship it to me. If you donate, I will see that it doesn't go unnoticed. So please help the VFR Community, donate what ever you can, $1, $5, $20, anything will help.

for those of you that are interested in seeing some of my friends work, you can check out his Instagram page... Rampage_fab, also here is a picture to drool on

- If by chance you feel that this post go's against some forum rules that i am not aware please contact a moderator

- moderators/forum police if this is not allowed please contact me before deleting my post, thank you

Opportunity is where you anticipate it.

Making the VFR have more get up and go. Header build fund @ https://www.gofundme.com/vfr-header-build

[

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RVFR For This Useful Post:

CandyRedRC46 (01-25-2017), duccmann (01-24-2017)

Country
    Thanks
    RVFR, thanks for instigating - Gabe's tubes look great. Can we get our money back if this goes nowhere? There's been a lot of noise about Tyga and Two Brothers revivals, but no resulting product. I recognize the headers may cost up to $1000 for a finished set, and I'll kick in $50 on gofundme toward the cause, but if it doesn't happen, I'd like my fifty back. I'm heading over to gofundme to read the fine print.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sfdownhill For This Useful Post:

RVFR (01-25-2017)

Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!
    Country
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 Times in 1,163 Posts
    If someone will give me one of the bikes that are compatible with a set of headers like this, I am good for a few pesos.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Badbilly For This Useful Post:

RVFR (01-25-2017)

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    SFD I see no reason why I wouldn't be able to accommodate refunding folks of their hard earned funds. It's not my intent to take advantage of a go fund project. It just so happens I have the time and where through all to handle this, less the funding. Figured after a couple conversation with folks that have done successful crowd funding to go this way. Just for you guys and gals to know I'm a fussy one and into the detail, why I'm kinda feeling awkward in doing this as I usually will show the goods before hand showing proof. in this case there's going to need to be a slight trusting relationship here. Thanks for the thoughts, Let me know what else you have in mind and we'll iron out the details.
    Thanks, for the interests in the VFR Header build.

Making the VFR have more get up and go. Header build fund @ https://www.gofundme.com/vfr-header-build

[

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RVFR For This Useful Post:

CandyRedRC46 (01-25-2017), vegaquark (02-04-2017)

Country
    Thanks
    Have you any thoughts on final pricing if the project is completed, and if you have more than 10 confirmed buyers? Optimistically threw in a few myself ...

ACE
    Guns don't kill people, drivers with Cellphones do; author unknown
    '84 VF700F WIP, '07 VFR street sport tour, '02 Aprilia RSV1000 track/hooligan, '01 XR650R track/street/trail

10. The Following User Says Thank You to carlgustav For This Useful Post:

RVFR (01-25-2017)

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    CBR 1000rr, RD 350, CR 250, 09 VFR, 2012 DR 650
    Thanks
    Are you going to take diameters and lengths off the TB headers or is this a start from scratch? If you use the stock one as a template your not getting the R&D effort from TB.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gator For This Useful Post:

RVFR (01-25-2017)

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Carl, once the jig is made up, from that first proto type, then it can get down to how the costs are. vs, what the market will bare. The Idea is to get the first one built do some dyno pulls, then maybe if things look right, then go to the next step. If folks want to put their; I'd like one, if it pans out, that would be nice to know for Gabe to be ready for the fall out . For now this first phase is to get one made up to show folks what is available, showing what can be expected.
    For you 6th gens owners we've talked about a mid pipe setup so you guys and gals won't be left out. More on that later.
    Originally the goal was to get them made to sell for $700-800 since the TYGA one was around $600 , but after Gabe saw what it was about and through the jig prep and all, one was going to run me $1200+ then there's the RD after that. It's why I'm going this route to find out if its worth the time and money. Now with speculation of more being created, he's talking about right around $1000 ea. if there's only a few made. But that's still yet to be determined. Still, There's room for it to be less as more interests come in.

For sure Gator, It's that right there that had me on the fence with the TYGA build. In my case I'm looking for that 8hp, which by running the numbers it should do this following TBs and Erions math. Yea TYGA could build a TB replica , but what does that mean really? I've had a many conversation with Mike Valasco a HRC tuner in the day ( he did my tune ) Two bros & Erion racing and some other exhaust go to folks, so yes the idea here is to get the best out of fitment and the flow that the VFR can handle while making monetary sense.

Thanks guys for the interests, its been a project in the back of my mind for some time, so figure what the hey, lets go for it, especially when I have a magician welder that understands exhaust and is in my back yard.
    Last edited by RVFR; 01-25-2017 at 04:49 PM.

[

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RVFR For This Useful Post:

CandyRedRC46 (01-25-2017), carlgustav (01-26-2017), duccmann (01-25-2017)

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    '98VFR800 and '99 Valkyrie - one to go fast, one to go slow, not necessarily in that order.
    Thanks
    Check PM plz

Country
    Thanks
    I would down to donate $100 I think but only if I know headers are coming out for all, don't want to just buy you a set and nothing happens, I can wait for ever for free with tyga, not so patient when I got $$ on the line. also would like to see them in the $800 range (or less)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dcycle For This Useful Post:

RVFR (01-25-2017)

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Exactly 3D, it's a build now for the VFR folks, not for me to get the folks to buy me a one of header. I put in the time figuring out the ins-outs originally for me. Now I'm not going to build just one. After a bit of number crunching and interests, it seems as though I'd like to think a dozen or so if not more could be in the pipe for one.

The short of this is. Funding, builds a proto type. that should take a little over a week, Then seeing how close we come to being spot on by doing dyno runs. From that we will be able to do tweaks if necessary, the goal here is to get the best HP number possible along with a great looking fitment piece. Once that is known, the final jig will be in place and a price will be known. So if you wish to put your mark on one, that's great! that would help in figuring final costs. Remember these are hand built. Agree that $800 mark is a nice goal, but you know this is hand made, not a computer run build.
    Last edited by RVFR; 01-25-2017 at 04:32 PM.

[

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    CBR 1000rr, RD 350, CR 250, 09 VFR, 2012 DR 650
    Thanks
    It would be very nice to have a full system on the VFR for weight savings and a some performance gain. I have had full systems on the majority of my bikes through the years. Some come with very decent gains others not much. But what I have found is over all smooth delivery and more power over a larger RPM range. Not to mention weight savings.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gator For This Useful Post:

RVFR (01-25-2017)

Uber Guru
    Country
    My Ride
    1986 VFR 750F 1982 CB750F2 1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor 1950 CZ 150
    Thanks
    I have been following an exhaust built over on the Supersport forum, must have cost the bloke a million hours so far but the end result looks good but so time consuming

22. The Following User Says Thank You to NormK For This Useful Post:

RVFR (01-25-2017)

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yep, there's a lot of time figuring this and that out for sure. If it was just for me, no biggie, but that cost for the end result is a wee bit more than what I had originally planned on. Now add in the interests where it possible more VFR owners could like to get one has me now dotting every I and crossing every T making sure it's as good as it can get, in that takes time = money ;)

[

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2002 VFR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 982 Posts
    With over 31000 members here, I would think it would be no problem getting this ball rolling.
    Thanks J for taking initiative and thank your Son too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELL YA, LETS RIDE !!!!!!!!!!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to duccmann For This Useful Post:

RVFR (01-26-2017)

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2014 VFR800 Deluxe 1983 VF750F
    Thanks
    Just sent $10 for good luck.
    14 Red VFR Deluxe - OEM Panniers and Quick Shifter - Knight Design Pegs - MotoPumps Handle bar risers
    83 VF750F (Owned since new) - Corbin Seat - Vance & Hines Pipes/Kerker Slip ons - FOX Shock - Lockart Oil Cooler - K&N Air Filter!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Allyance For This Useful Post:

RVFR (01-26-2017)

Country
    Thanks
    I like the way you go about things, Jay. Probably has something to do with being a pilot. I'm in on the gofund, and looking forward to seeing how things proceed.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to sfdownhill For This Useful Post:

RVFR (01-26-2017)

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nice, then Justin shows up with Gabes work that was done on his BMW1000rr DSCF0873.jpg even though it's just a mid pipe , shows the attention to detail.

[

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    '98VFR800 and '99 Valkyrie - one to go fast, one to go slow, not necessarily in that order.
    Thanks
    Offer is still on the table........

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mello dude For This Useful Post:

RVFR (01-27-2017), staffybull (04-22-2017)

Country
    Thanks
    wait - are these just going to be stainless copies of the stock headers? Or are you copying the TBR performance headers and just making a stock "exit" from the midpipe so aftermarket cans all fit?

Country
    My Ride
    1995 VFR750. GSXR750. 1982 CB900F.
    Thanks
    Delkevic make a complete system for the 5th gen. for around $500 U.S. I have a slip on which I bought for my fourth gen. It's a well made product for a decent price. They don't seem to have a full system for the 4th gen listed, but I believe they possibly do, having read a post on a bike site I don't recall.

Country
    Thanks
    RVFR [Jay], it looks like you and I are both using the Staintune high mount slip on. I presume that since the Staintune bolts directly to the stock exhaust, our slip-ons will bolt onto the proposed set of performance headers Gabe will fabricate? Just hoping to confirm the almost-obvious.

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseMoose View Post
    wait - are these just going to be stainless copies of the stock headers? Or are you copying the TBR performance headers and just making a stock "exit" from the midpipe so aftermarket cans all fit?
    Yes we will be be using some of Erion racing and Two bros numbers and a bit of knowledge from a couple of exhaust guys that are in the know. and a yes stock location exit wise. so what ever make you have for a can will fit Note: Since the 6th gen on the norm header wise will be able fit these headers, good chance once we know how it all pans out we will look into making a mid pipe for those with 6th gens. But for now it's enough just to get it all lined up for a 5th gen. Sorry no 4th gen.
    Last edited by RVFR; 01-27-2017 at 10:40 PM.

[

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sfdownhill View Post
    RVFR [Jay], it looks like you and I are both using the Staintune high mount slip on. I presume that since the Staintune bolts directly to the stock exhaust, our slip-ons will bolt onto the proposed set of performance headers Gabe will fabricate? Just hoping to confirm the almost-obvious.
    Yep! It has to be able to work with the Staintune or no deal ;)

[

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMLARCH View Post
    Delkevic make a complete system for the 5th gen. for around $500 U.S. I have a slip on which I bought for my fourth gen. It's a well made product for a decent price. They don't seem to have a full system for the 4th gen listed, but I believe they possibly do, having read a post on a bike site I don't recall.
    From what I gathered with the Delkevic it is a stock replacement in SS yes, but with 29mm primary's and who knows if they are equal length, just saying The plan is taking it up a few notches with what has been proven to work., Plus.

[

Country
    Thanks
    Sounds like good things are in the works. Can't stop the right mover/shaker [RVFR].

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2014 VFR800 Deluxe 1983 VF750F
    Thanks
    RVFR: Put the link to your GoFundMe in your signature so people don't have to hunt for it!

https://www.gofundme.com/vfr-header-build
    14 Red VFR Deluxe - OEM Panniers and Quick Shifter - Knight Design Pegs - MotoPumps Handle bar risers
    83 VF750F (Owned since new) - Corbin Seat - Vance & Hines Pipes/Kerker Slip ons - FOX Shock - Lockart Oil Cooler - K&N Air Filter!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Allyance For This Useful Post:

RVFR (01-28-2017)

Country
    Thanks
    Mello - your PM box is full. Clearly you are one of the cool kids.

Thanks for letting me know whassup.

I'll take care of the fender brackets you had made for me, and I'll consider gold anodizing.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to sfdownhill For This Useful Post:

mello dude (01-28-2017)

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just a poke here. Imagine what another 8hp can do for you ;)

[

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just in case you have never seen a 98-99 header. Here's what I'm working with Gabe to replicate.

Now you can see the work ahead to duplicate making this flow better. , what a snake.

[

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Now don't be shy. This is the real deal here where we will be making hand made one ofs, It's going to be better than good.

[

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast