VFR 750 95 Engine Condensation

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ChumleyWarner, Jan 27, 2017.

1. ChumleyWarner

ChumleyWarner New Member

Hi Guys

I'm looking for a bit of advice on an oil issue I've got.

I did my monthly oil check this afternoon and saw something that's bothered me. On the top filler oil cap, there was a small bit of emulsified oil on the underside. I can see a bit inside the engine on whatever I can see through the hole. The oil on the dipstick is golden and looks fine. However, where the metal bit of the dipstick joins the plastic screw bit, there's a small bit of the white oil. I cleaned it off, started the engine again and it was there when I took the cap off. The white oil is a very small amount, not like the thick stuff you see in pictures when Googling the problem.

I use the bike for work which is 7 miles away. It gets used 6 days out of 10. It never really gets hot and it's not had a long run since about September. It lives in my unheated and very cold garage. The weathers been really damp and cold these last few weeks here in the UK.

There's no odd noises, it's not down on power and it doesn't smoke when up to temperature.

My old man reckons it's condensation as its winter and the bike only does short journeys. He's advisedoing to give it a good run and it should clear but will come back as it's still winter.

Any ideas? Am I in for a large bill or is the old man right?

Any help would be appreciated, Cheers

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    it's condensation! I had the same problem with a Triumph 650 many years ago when I did short trips and used 20-50 oil. I assume you are using 10-40 oil or thinner. If not I suggest you do. Getting the bike nice and hot will get rid of it. Although I'm not an advocate of letting a bike idle for very long before I ride off you might consider doing so. What's happening to your oil is very common for short trips and I very much doubt you need to worry about engine damage.

3. ChumleyWarner

ChumleyWarner New Member

Brilliant, thanks mate. Cheers for the quick reply.
    I've had in my mind that these short journeys wouldn't be doing it any favours. I'll let it idle for a couple more minutes when I set off.

I'm not sure of the oil used as I've only had it 6 months and it'doesn't just been done. Due Feb time so I'll go for 10 40 Synthetic when I do it.

4. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    Normal. Not to worry.

5. Jay with a vet in ba

Jay with a vet in ba New Member

United States
    Those old men know a thing or two. Blast it through the countryside from time to time for the best remedy.

6. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    I would use 10-40. I'm not so sure I would use synthetic in the engine. I tried that on my 1995 vfr750. It didn't effect the clutch, but caused a rattle on my starter clutch mechanism when idling which made the top end sound as if it was falling apart at idle rpm. Probably because it was so thin it didn't have an oil buffering between parts. I went back to regular oil and it went away. I'd suggest a semi synthetic. On the other hand I use synthetic in my other bikes without a problem, so give it a try.

7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Yeah, listen to your old man.

You are probably not getting the bike hot enough to drive the condensation out of the crankcase. I wouldn't idle the bike longer, it would be better to add a few more miles to your journey. Best of all at motorway speed.

8. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    I'd agree with you that riding the bike further is better than idling. But winter in England is cold, compared to where you live, so freezing on a bike is less preferable to letting it idle. I don't recommend leaving the choke on. I have a throttle control on mine and after about 30 seconds I can take the choke off and hold it around 2000 rpm. Works a treat!

9. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    You answered your own question there. It's condensation formed as the engine gets warm but not hot enough to burn it off.

Listen what your old man says. Get out and give it a good blast.