Vtec Valve Clearance Check DIY - 6th Gen vfr800 - recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by pzpz, Feb 2, 2017.

1. pzpz

pzpz New Member

Israel
    Looking for recommended links which guide through the process steps

2. violetfusion

violetfusion New Member

Singapore
    vvudys likes this.
  3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    A great video tutorial ... this guy has great VFR800 6th gen maintenance vids ...

[video=youtube;XEimE9DptP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEimE9DptP4[/video]

4. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Is your bike making worrying noises or is it running OK and simply reached the relevant service interval? If so how many miles has your vtec done?

I ask because mine has done 100k and was checked last year by the dealer who confirmed that not one of the valves was out of spec, indeed they are all exactly as they left the factory.

OK if you are using your vfr for regular track sessions, and generally pushing the revs for extended periods, then checking on the official frequency makes a lot of sense, as the chances are the valves will need adjustment. But if your bike is mostly used for commuting and occasional tours, then the chances are that your valve check will simply confirm the valves remain within specification.

If you do go ahead with the checks, please let us know what you find. Thanks

SkiMad

5. pzpz

pzpz New Member

Israel
    Hi Guys, Tnx !!!
    Hoped there was a link with a complete step by step… (Which I couldn’t find).

Things (not clear to me) that I have to figure out:
    1. Part list + materials (what gaskets….can they be reused)… shims kit, buckets
    2. Need for special tools? (Micrometer recommended size… special filler gauge? Magnets?)
    3. Common mistake (people or mechanics do) to be avoided.
    4. Taking the cams out: avoiding de-synchronization, avoiding chain from falling in …(will the chain get completely dismounted) what about the CCT will it stretch out?
    5. How to avoid shims from falling in (is there a problem fishing them out ? when the valve is closed)
    6. Cleaning the shims and buckets from deposits before measuring?
    7. Using the filler gauge correctly (how to know the correct amount of force?)
    8. Resurfacing down techniques if applicable…(for oversized).
    9. Inspecting the buckets, springs…”all the internal sub buckets part” for wear.
    10. ….

Regarding you’re questions:
    My bike has done more than 100,000 KM with no check until now (I replaced worn retelling front CCT - i did the enlarged hole "mod")
    1. It has a bit of vibration when gently accelerating between 4500-5500 RPM (even with a new chain sprocket set).
    2. On cold morning (10-5 C degrees) Stating sometimes I here knockings (they stop after temp rises after 30-60sec)
    3. Throttle reaction is not smooth around the VTEC RPM (~7000)
    4. ….
    These are some of the reasons I’m interested in performing and clearing out the VTEC clearance issue. to try to get a smooth working engine

TNX AGAIN

6. pzpz

pzpz New Member

Israel