Yippie! You Tube works!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RVFR, Feb 2, 2017.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Nice, been wanting to put up this video from a run up around Mt.St.Helens prior to my surgery. It's kinda jittery in places, but I think you'll get the just of it.

[video=youtube;DmBhhgHUbbw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmBhhgHUbbw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Reminds me of riding in the back of a station wagon riding to summer camp long ago.
    Loved to sit in the rear facing seat. Pretty sure the horizon did not tilt.
    Could not hear the engine over the kids singing 99 bottles of beer on the wall. :happy:

3. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Love this...so hard to imagine riding towards the mountains while seeing movement away from them.

So gorgeous there! What camera do you have?

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Nice, now you need a front camera and a good editing program!

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    It's just a run of the mill Go pro Hero 4. Now that I finally got my you tube account squared away, who knows what I might throw out next :) Like OOTV mentioned, now for understanding editing, that's where the real work starts. that and from the looks of it maybe a camera more suited for this kind of thing.

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Very nice my brotha, smooooooth and what an awesome day, funny how right when ya got on it good the camera tilted.
    Glad ya got your account squared away :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Nice Jay. Have you ridden up the east side on the NF99 up to the Windy Ridge Viewpoint. That road can be a little rough but it is paved and it is totally orgasmic. If you could some how put an anti vibration system on a go pro and video that road from the front, that would make an outstanding video of St. Helens. The few times I have been up that road, there has been very few cages driving up there. Once to the viewpoint, there are better views of the mountain from there. But if you want to look down into the crater and see the dome, you need to get off the bike and go for a considerable hike. I have not done that....yet. Who knows. But truth be known, I think the time is too close to midnight for me for that trek in my present state.

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    There's a similar vid on The Dragon. The guy is a stunt rider on a Goldwing.

9. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Nice - that looks like a fantastic road with all those big sweeping curves!

10. Badbilly

United States
    A few of the twisties on Mt. St Helens should be approached with caution. Some of the corners are blind. After a rain, the volcanic ash left from the eruption slides down on the roadway and when wet is slick. When dry it's not as slick but akin to gravel.

A few miles West of the mountain puts ya on I-5 and Castle Rock, WA home of an AMA National TT and some good racing all Summer.

11. A.M

This reminds me somewhere I gathered you live up there?

If that is correct, I would love to meet your Badbilly self!

I'll be up there for a few days (the weekend after memorial day) before heading into Canuckistan.

12. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice vid. One way to help with the jitteryness is to mount the camera in such a way that part of the bike is in the frame. Because there is no movement between the camera and the bike, it tricks your mind into thinking it's smoother than it actually is. The effect is most apparent with dirtbike helmet mounted cams...the ones where you can see part of the helmet fixed in the corner of the frame appear smoother. At least that's what I've observed.

Here's one of mine looking back...however, when I uploaded this years ago, I chose the option that YouTube offers, to remove some of the 'jitteryness'. Even though it did remove a lot of the vertical shaking from the original video, it causes things to look a little weird, like the grab bars on my bike are moving around and changing shape. It appears they still have this option, it comes up after your upload is complete...hard to say which is better, lots of shake, or weird movement of everything.

[video=youtube;2-zAw4LeTOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-zAw4LeTOI[/video]

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Randy; Yes I've been on that magical route a many times, I've seen my fare share of gets off too, It use to be the go to road around here, only an hour away and the ride there ain't bad either.

[​IMG]

Like you've noticed the road has gone to shiets. It's still a fun route though now more in tune for an adventure bike probably. LOL I did that stair climbing walk if you call stacked rail road ties stairs, in motorcycling attire up to the observation viewpoint once, whata hike, ha, it was only 80 out then, and when moving on the bike it was perfect, but the jaunt just about cooked me.

[​IMG]

Agree, It's time to go back up there and give it another go. When ya coming down? One needs to wait until after the 4th of July on the norm for the snow to be gone. This year may be a bit later as we're getting record snow fall in the hills.

BadB : yea, aren't those little pumice grains and balls fun to run over? Makes one wonder whats around the next turn, now add in broken frost heaves.

Driverdave; You Tube has an automatic thing I guess, when I went back to review, you tube asked if I want the shaking removed, they have a preview, in that I saw it was smoother, yet way more grainy, so I opt out of that option. I agree having the bike in the frame does give a smoother feel to the video. Now that I know that you tube is doable, I'm going to play with other locations, I like the dual camera idea, just need to see how that works out.

AM; Good luck trying to hook up with the Bad one, he's pretty elusive, even though I believe we've met not knowing who was whom here or there ;)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Gator: if you only knew how sweet these are. Most are very comfortable doing 90+ Some way more where you get to feel the squish in your butt. On this day the roads where like just a few days out of being redone, so the pavement was perfect. Though back in the day one would need to watch out for not only wondering tourist, but road debris coming of the slopes, but on this day was an exception. I Have a feeling AM would say orgasmic.

15. Badbilly

United States
    All that stuff from the innards of the mountain could be anything. The dry stuff is a fusion of who knows what. Better though than one of those damned trees sliding down on top of some poor SOB.

16. A.M

You are right...so sOO SOOO orgasmic is how I describe days of riding just like that! I had that everywhere up there.

RVFR...let the Badbilly know he would not regret chancing a meeting with me. He will find out I'm more multi-faceted than just the ornery girl who rides in anything that I portray. He might just end up liking me around!

17. Badbilly

United States
    To the Virgins, to make much of Time
    GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may,
    **Old Time is still a-flying:
    And this same flower that smiles to-day
    **To-morrow will be dying.
    The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
    **The higher he 's a-getting,
    The sooner will his race be run,
    **And nearer he 's to setting.
    That age is best which is the first,
    **When youth and blood are warmer;
    But being spent, the worse, and worst
    **Times still succeed the former.
    Then be not coy, but use your time,
    **And while ye may, go marry:
    For having lost but once your prime,
    **You may for ever tarry.

Robert Herrick*

Where I will be Memorial Day is sort of a tough call. I don't even know what I am having for lunch today..

18. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  19. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States

20. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    I *love* watching people hang off and sticking knees out unnecessarily! :)