Neiko chain breaker/rivet tool opinions

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by GigemVFR, Feb 8, 2017.

1. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Okay, will need a new chain soon. I will go with the DID DKH-004 kit 530VX chain and sprockets. For the tools however, seeing and reading a lot of the same. Anyone have experience with this Neiko? Seems to be the same as MotionPro, Stockton and Emgo. Did not see anything on this Neiko posted on here. Seems like hell of a deal if the same.

Chain and sprockets:
    https://www.amazon.com/D-I-D-DKH-00...e=UTF8&qid=1486590004&sr=8-1&keywords=dkh-004

Here is Neiko:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chain-Br...utting-OHV-Cam-Drive-ATV-Motorcycle/109129321

Compared to the others:
    https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-chain-breaker-and-rivet-tool-kit

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/motion-pro-chain-breaker-riveting-tool

2. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Gotta be shittin' me! That's a no brainer.

3. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, you would think so. But "if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is" comes to mind.

4. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I have the Motion Pro. I've replaced 3 chains in the last 9 months. Followed the instructions, and it worked perfectly every time.

I would be leery of a $17 chain tool.

Your motorcycle chain is not the place to cut corners. Too bad that you are half way across the country. I would do it for you.

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That should do a change just fine, I have had the same tool for over 10 years, just don't try to push the old pins out prior to grinding them. If you try it and don't like it, it's only $18. Just because a chain tool costs more, doesn't exactly mean it's better, or safer. It's the person that operates the tool that's important.

6. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, I think the two rules you have to follow are 1) grind off the rivet first when removing to not stress the tool, despite what the directions say, and 2) when riveting back on the master link, do not let the pin in the tool extend out too far. Think those help with the longevity of any chain tool, cheap or expensive.

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I have a RK chain riviting tool, comes from Japan and has a nice metal box it came in. I use one of those spring loaded pin tools to remove old pins once i grind off the master link plate. You could use a punch as long as its on the sprocket, really no reason to do this unless its under "battle" conditions.

8. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    A Dremel tool can cut through a chain in seconds. The chain is toast anyway.

9. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, but you still need the tool to rivet the new one together...I too have an RK kit that works great.

10. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I agree that the tool is needed for the master link. I just always sliced through the chain quicker with a Dremel was my point.

11. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    That tool has issues breaking the chain as mentioned before. Look for the DID clone on eBay. It breaks the chain pushes the pins etc and rivets with a flip of the die. Some of those tools have had issues reported like broken handles. Probably from breaking larger chains.

You don't need anything too expensive tho. How many chains you think you'll be replacing for realz 3-4?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Motorcycl...3A2558544015a0a786c35d019afffc646b%7Ciid%3A11

12. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    20170209_191822.jpg
    Gee, I don't mess around with light weight home owner stuff when I wana throw some sparks, my point was that most chain riveting tools have a provision to force the drive pins out. Anyone can come up with the idea of using a die-grinder (homo-owner dremel tool) to cut an endless chain, that was not my point. My point was that the tool cost alot of money and even though it has pins to push the riveted master link out, I choose to use another tool to do this. You can use a hack-saw too if you were in Bosnia and had bombs going off over your head yah know :loco: :mech: